About the Company
Vedanta is a globally diversified natural resources company with interests in zinc-lead-silver, Iron ore, Steel, Copper, Aluminium, Power, Oil and Gas. The company strive for a positive impact on the communities it operate in and leave a legacy of pride. Operating responsibly and ethically is an integral part of Vedanta’s core values. The company deliver on its commitments to all internal and external stakeholders by demonstrating these values through its actions, processes, systems and interactions. Vedanta constantly learn and develop; and endeavour to improve its operations. Vedanta are fully committed to working with integrity and have upheld ‘uncompromising business ethics’. While The Company’s business has expanded into many locations around the world, its operations have positively impacted the communities it operate in.
Business area of the company
The company supplies natural resources that help the world grow. The company’s major products are zinc-lead-silver, iron ore, steel, copper, aluminium, power, oil and gas. The company’s strategic capabilities and alliances are singularly focused on creating and preserving value for its wide stakeholder groups and its clientele. It has a portfolio of world-class, low-cost, scalable assets that consistently generate strong profitability and have robust cash flows. The company holds industry-leading market shares across its core divisions.
The company’s verticals
- Iron Ore & Steel
- Oil & Gas
- Sesa Goa was honored as “Sustainable Asian Mining Project of the year” by Asian Mining Congress-2008
- The company was awarded in the best Value Creator (Large cap) category at The Outlook Money NDTV Profit Awards 2008.
- The company was selected as top Indian company in the mining sector category at Dun & Bradstreet American Express Corporate Awards 2007.
- Sesa Goa has won Overall first prize award for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) during the 7th National conference on Occupational Safety, Health and Environment, organised by Inspectorate of Factories and Boilers , Govt. of Goa - Feb,10.
- Sesa Industires has won first prize award for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in environment category during the 7th National conference on Occupational Safety, Health and Environment, organised by Inspectorate of Factories and Boilers , Govt. of Goa - Feb,10.
- Sesa Goa received the Runners up Award for Best Corporate Social Responsibility Practice at the 6th Social and Corporate Governance Awards 2010 by Bombay Stock Exchange, Mumbai.
- Sesa Goa Limited, Codli Mine - Workshop & Stores has received the 5S certification from the Certificate Body of Quality Circle Forum of India in January 2011.
- Sesa Goa mines in Goa have been selected for the prestigious British Safety Council’s International Safety Award for the year 2011. Five units of the company; Sonshi, Codli and Bicholim mines in Goa, the Pig Iron Plant and Met Coke Division in Amona, Goa bagged the top international award for the company.
- Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards 2019.
- IEI Centenary Industry Excellence Award 2019.
- Silver in the Internal Communications, IPRCCA 2019 Awards.
- ET Now Business Leader of the Year 2020, Ajay Kapur.
- Bronze at the India Public Relations and Corporate Communications Awards 2019.
- Excellence in trade finance- 2nd Financial leadership award.
- People Business Great Managers Award by Economic Times and People Business.
- Customs Department Best Importor Award.
- ET Now CEO of the Year Award.
- QCFI – NCQC.
- IMEA Future Factory Ready Award.
- Vedanta Sesa Goa Iron Ore Karnataka Unit won 46 awards at the Mines Safety Association Karnataka Zone - 3.
- Legal Summit and Awards 2019 .
- India Procurement Leadership Forum & Awards 2020.
- 1954: Baron Ludovic Toeplitz lands in Goa. With the financial backing of an enterprising Italian, Alessandro, he acquires the Orosso Dongor Mining Concession in North Goa and starts a company called Scambi Economici S.A. Goa.
- 1955: The company renamed Sesa Goa is bought over jointly by Gewerkeshaft Exploration a Bergbau represented by Eugene Plotzki and by Ferromin S.p.A. of Italy (a subsidiary of Finsider S.p.A. of the IRI group) represented by Paolo Tradardi, both parties having equal shareholding.
- 1957: Another company started in Goa, Mingoa Sociedade Mineral Goesal S.a.r.l. is incorporated with Fiat of Torino as the principal shareholder.
- 1963: Finsider S.p.A. acquires the West German interest in Sesa Goa Limitada and also all the shares of Mingoa.
- 1965: Sesa Goa and Mingoa are incorporated as Private Limited Companies under Indian Companies Act 1956.
- 1979: A single company Sesa Goa Private Limited is formed with amalgamation of Sesa Goa and Mingoa fully owned by Finsider S.p.A.
- 1981: Sesa Goa goes public with 42,000 Indian shareholders holding 60% of its shares and the remaining 40% held by Finsider International (later became ILVA INTERNATIONAL).
- 1984: Sesa Goa starts a barge construction unit at Sirsaim which has since developed into a Ship Building division.
- 1992: First phase of 150,000 tons per year Pig Iron plant is commissioned and manufacture of low phosphorus foundry grade pig iron starts.
- 1994: Second blast furnace is commissioned in July.
- 1995: Sesa Shipping is launched in January with acquisition of Transhipper M.V. Orissa. 84 coke ovens are commissioned in April.
- 1996: On 11 October, MITSUI & CO. of Japan, through Earlyguard, UK, buys Finsider International with its 51% stake in Sesa Goa Ltd.
- 1997: Sesa Kembla becomes 100% subsidiary of Sesa Goa. Karnataka mining developments commence.
- 1998: Sesa Community development Foundation is established to encompass NCM Sesa Technical School and a new Sesa Football Academy.
- 1999: Sesa Goa commences mining operations at Barbil in Orissa producing high grade iron ore and exporting from the nearby ports of Haldia and Paradip.
- 2000: Sesa Kembla Coke completes the development of an indigenous and environment friendly technology for producing high quality Metallurgical Coke and generating power as a by-product. Sesa Kembla applies for international patents for its technology.
- 2002: Sesa Group becomes the first business of its kind to be certified with OHSAS 18001.
- 2003: Sesa Goa equity in Sesa Industries raised to 88.25%
- 2004: Sesa Group completes 50 years of operations.
- 2007: Vedanta Resources Plc, a diversified metals and mining group, listed on the London Stock Exchange acquires 51% controlling stake in Sesa Goa Ltd. from Mitsui & Co. Ltd.
- 2009: Sesa Goa Limited and Dempo Group have signed a definitive share purchase agreement under which Sesa has acquired all the outstanding common shares of VS Dempo & Co. Pvt. Ltd. along with its 100% equity shares of Dempo Mining Corporation Pvt. Ltd. and 50% equity shares of Goa Maritime Pvt. Ltd.
- 2011: Sesa Goa Codli Mine - Workshop & Stores receives the 5S certification from the Certificate Body of Quality Circle Forum of India.
- 2013: Sesa Goa All Share Merger of Sesa Goa And Sterlite Industries becomes Effective -Change in Name of Sesa Goa Limited to Sesa Sterlite Limited.
- 2014: SSL- Kitchen Waste Producing Cooking Gas and Creating Greenery in Lanjigarh - CSR and Competitiveness Magazine.
- 2014:Sesa Sterlite receives the Community Development Award at the Asian CSR Leadership Awards.
- 2014:Sesa Sterlite, Jharsuguda bags two National Awards at ‘15th National Award for Excellence in Energy Management 2014’ -Sesa Sterlite Announces Development of Gamsberg-Skorpion Integrated Zinc Project.
- 2015: Sesa Sterlite arm gets approval for starting power plant.
- 2015: Sesa Sterlite restarts mining in Karnataka.
- 2015: Sesa Sterlite had approved Scheme of Amalgamation of Goa Energy Limited with Sesa Sterlite Limited.
- 2015: Sesa Sterlite Ltd has completed the merger of its subsidiary Sterlite Infra with itself.
- 2015: Sesa Sterlite Limited renamed Vedanta Limited.
- 2015: Vedanta unveiled its new logo as the firm tries to present a uniform brand identity.
- 2015: Vedanta Ltd has acquired a 4.98 per cent stake in Cairn India Ltd.
- 2015: Vedanta Ltd has approved the merger of Cairn India Ltd into Vedanta Ltd.
- 2016: Vedanta Successful bidder of Gold Mine.
- 2017: Vedanta-Cairn Merger Effective.
- 2017: Vedanta lays the foundation stone for the first Nandghar in Karnataka.
- 2017: Vedanta lays the foundation stone for the second ‘Nandghar’ in Karnataka.
- 2018: Acquisition of Electrosteel Steels Limited.
- 2018: Vedanta Medical Research Foundation (VMRF) Launches World-Class Oncology Facility, Balco Medical Centre, in Raipur.
- 2019: Vedanta fully unwinds the CIHL Structured Investment with superior gains.
- 2019: Vedanta sets up 500th Nand Ghar; Reaches out to over 17,000 children.
- 2020: Vedanta Inaugurates 1700th Nand Ghar in Karnataka.
- 2020: Vedanta launches Global Accelerator Program 'Vedanta Spark'
|Parent Organization||Vedanta Ltd.||Managing Director|