|Market Cap||1,62,458 Cr||EPS||21.6||High||235.1|
|Stock P/E||10.8||Net Profit Margin||35.9||Low||233.1|
|Market Cap||1,62,458 Cr||ROE||23.0%|
|P/B Ratio||2.0||Dividend Yield||6.3%|
|Industry P/E||64.2||Book Value||118.7|
About the Company
Power Grid Corporation of India (Power Grid) is an Indian state-owned electric utility company headquartered in Gurugram, India. The company is a ‘Maharatna’ Central Public Sector Enterprise and it is also Central Transmission Utility (CTU) of India. The company is one of India’s largest Electric Power Transmission Utility. It is Listed Company since 2007. The company undertakes transmission of electricity through Inter-State Transmission System (ISTS). It ensures development of an efficient, co-ordinated and economical system of inter-state transmission lines for smooth flow of electricity from generating stations to the load centers. The company also provides non-discriminatory open access to its transmission system for use by and licensee or generating company.
In 1980, the Rajadhyaksha Committee on Power Sector Reforms submitted its report to the Government of India suggesting that extensive reforms were needed in the Indian power sector. In 1981, the Government of India took a policy decision to form a National Power Grid, which would pave the way for the integrated operation of the central and regional transmission systems.
In October 23, 1989 under the Companies Act, 1956, the National Power Transmission Corporation Limited was formed, and assigned the responsibility of planning, executing, owning, operating and maintaining the high voltage transmission systems in the country. In October 1992, the National Power Transmission Corporations name was changed to Power Grid Corporation of India Limited.
Business area of the company
The company’s core business is the transmission of electric power. The company a transmission licensee takes continuous action regarding operation and maintenance to seek to ensure compliance with prescribed standards as well as to achieve high availability of the system for uninterrupted power supply to customers.
Power System Management: the company takes continuous action regarding operation and maintenance to seek to ensure compliance with prescribed standards as well as to achieve high availability of the system.
Telecom: the company with its brand name ‘POWERTEL’ in Telecom business is the only utility in the Country having overhead optic fibre network using Optical Ground Wire on power transmission lines.
Domestic Consultancy: the company has been providing one stop consultancy services to State owned utilities, Private utilities, Central Public Sector Undertakings and Government departments.
Smart Grid: Smart Grid facilitates efficient and reliable end-to-end intelligent two-way delivery system from source to sink through integration of renewable energy sources, smart transmission and distribution.
Subsidiaries of the company
- POWERGRID NM Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Vemagiri Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Vizag Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Unchahar Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Kala Amb Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Jabalpur Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Warora Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Parli Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Southern Inerconnector Transmission System Limited
- POWERGRID Medinipur – Jeerat Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Mithilanchal Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Varanasi Transmission System Limited
- POWERGRID Jawaharpur Firozabad Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Khetri Transmission System Limited
- POWERGRID Bhind Guna Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Ajmer Phagi Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Fatehgarh Transmission Limited
- POWERGRID Bhuj Transmission Limited
- Rampur Sambhal Transco Limited
- Meerut-Simbhavali Transmission Limited
- Power Grid has been adjudged as one of the India’s Best Companies to Work for 2019, by Great Place to Work Institute, India.
- Third Prize in Public Sector Enterprises category in the National Competition for Innovative Training Practices (2017-18) by Indian Society for Training & Development.
- 'ET2GOOD' rating at the second edition of ET2G00D 4G00D Ratings conferral ceremony for All-Round Excellence in CSR for 2016-17 & 2017-18.
- 'Dainik Jagran CSR Award' in PSU category for CSR initiatives for poverty alleviation.
- Star PSU Award at Business Standard Annual Awards for 2018.
- 'Strategic Performance and Consistent Growth' Award at the 6th PSU Awards by Governance Now.
- Power Grid has been adjudged First by Ministry of Power, Government of India among all the CPSEs in Power Sector for its exemplary performance during the observation of 'Swachhta Pakhwada' w.e.f. from May 16 to May 31, 2019. The coveted award was received by Ravi P. Singh, CMD, POWERGRID from Shri A.K. Bhalla, Secretary (Power) on July 11, 2019.
- Power Grid has been conferred the prestigious ‘Award for Export Excellence’ for the Year 2016-17 by Engineering Exports Promotion Council (EEPC) under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce, for the Exports performance achieved through International Business initiative. The Trophy was conferred by Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Jai Ram Thakur.
- Power Grid for the second year in succession won the 'Best Navratna Overall' for its performance. The award was one of the three awards won by the Company at the Dun & Bradstreet PSU Awards 2019 event at Delhi. In a repeat of last year, the Company won three awards, including the Award for ‘Best Navratna Overall’. The other awards were for ‘Electricity Sector: Transmission’ and ‘Best Navratna Services’. The awards were bestowed upon by Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Arvind Sawant. Director (Personnel) Ravi P. Singh and Director (Operations) Seema Gupta received the awards on behalf of the company.
- Power Grid was adjudged winner of ‘National Award for Excellence in CSR & Sustainability’ under organizational category of ‘Best Community Development Awards’ on Integrated watershed management in Kurnool (Andhra Pradesh) and Vijayapura (Karnataka) at National CSR Leadership Congress & Awards function was organized by Zee Business on August 18, 2019 at Taj Yeshwantpur, Bengaluru.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. was adjudged winner of ‘CSR Times - National CSR Awards 2019’ under the category: Water Conservation & Management, Rivers, Inland Waterways for its CSR project on Integrated water management in Kurnool (Andhra Pradesh) and Vijayapura (Karnataka) at 6th NATIONAL CSR SUMMIT, CSR TIMES AWARDS was organized by the CSR TIMES, in association with Indian Achievers’ Forum on 18 August, 2019 at the India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi.
- Power Grid emerged as the Winner of PMI India Awards - 2019 for Contribution to Community category for improving Rural Livelihood through Integrated Watershed Management Project at the Project Management National Conference 2019 organised by PMI India at Hyderabad.
- Power Grid has once again retained its position as ‘Fastest Growing Electric Utility in Asia Pacific’. This is the sixth year, since 2014 that the Company has occupied this coveted slot. Globally, POWERGRID is positioned as the 4th Fastest Growing Electric Utility.
- SRTS-I received Gold Medals from Governor of Andhra Pradesh for CSR project: Multi-specialty medical camps held in 2018-19 in remote villages of AP state.
- Power Grid awarded for ‘Improving Rural Livelihoods through Farmer-centric Integrated Watershed Management’ as outstanding achievement in Communication Innovation in CSR through campaign at All India Media Conference organised by L.S. Sansthan & M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur.
- Power Grid was awarded third prize in Best Annual Report Category by SCOPE.
- President of India awards POWERGRID in the PSU Corporate Category for Swacchata on September 06, 2019. It is in recognition of the Company’s significant CSR contribution under the initiative of Swachh Iconic Places (SIP) and Swachh Bharat Kosh (SKP).
- Second Runner up Award given by the Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat in Vigyan Bhawan for Swachh Iconic Place Baba Baidyanath Temple, Deoghar, Jharkhand.
- CMD, Power Grid I.S, Jha awarded the Business Today Best CEO Awards in the PSU category.
- Featured in the list of Top 25 Most Innovative companies in India at 5thCII Industrial Innovation Awards 2018 - only power sector CPSE in the list.
- India Concord Summit (ICS) 2018 PSU Award for Best HR Practices by a PSU-Navratna.
- Third position under Swachh Bharat Mission in category of Swachh Bharat Places for CSR initative at Baidyanath Temple, Deoghar, Jharkhand.
- Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings 2018: ‘Fastest Growing Electric Utility in Asia’ (fifth successive year); 3rdFastest Growing Electric Utility, Globally.
- Dun & Bradstreet Infra Award-2018 for Excellence in Power Transmission category.
- 'Gold Certificate' for Best CSR Practice at the 'Haryana CSR Summit 2018' by Govt of Haryana.
- ‘Good Corporate Citizen Award’ at the PHD Annual Awards for Excellence 2018 as the winner in the category.
- Gold Medal for Corporate Social Responsibility presented by the Governor of Telangana & Andhra Pradesh and President of the Indian Red Cross Society (IRCS) E. S. L. Narasimhan.
- Felicitated to CMD, Power Grid at the PSE Excellence Awards 2018 by Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Mid Day Infra Award for Excellence in Transmission
- Dun & Bradstreet PSU Awards 2018: Following categories: Best Overall Navratna; Best Navratna in Services and Electricity: Power Transmission.
- Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards 2018 as Winner in ‘Power’ category
- 2018 EEI Asia-Oceania Index Award at EEI for Highest Total Shareholder Returns in Gold Large Capitalization categoryawarded in Apr, 2018 (EEI-Edison Electric Institute).
- ‘Special Commendation Award’ at ISTD National Innovative Training Practices Awards.
- Smt. Seema Gupta, Director(Operations) awarded Best Contribution Award at the ITOMS International Conference at Kuala Lampur, Malaysia.
- Platinum prize (1st prize) in Power Sector Category at the ‘6th FICCI QualitySystems Excellence Awards’ ceremony.
- ‘BML Munjal Award for Business Excellence through Learning and Development-2018’ in PSU Services Category.
- Dainik Bhaskar India Pride Award for contribution towards National Growth in Energy & Power Sector Category.
- Power Grid has been awarded for Nation Building by Governance Now.
- ‘Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibilty’ for the year 2017.
- ‘Best Performing Power Transmission Utility’ Award by Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) on January 03, 2018.
- CMD Power Grid, I. S. Jha has been awarded the 'Best CEO' Award in PSU category (Except Banking Sector) and 'Best CEO' Award in Power category at Business Today 'Best CEO Awards' ceremony held in Mumbai on 13th January, 2018. Both the awards were presented by Union MoS for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha.
- Power Grid has been awarded the CNBC-TV18 118est Risk Management Framework & Systems Award11 in two categories- 'Power' and 'PSU' at the 4th India Risk Management Awards (IRMA) ceremony on 19th January 2018. The award is a recognition to organizations who have significantly added to the understanding and practice of Risk Management.
- Power Grid has been conferred the 'Best Performing Power Transmission Utility' Award by Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP). The award has been conferred on POWERGRID recognizing its contribution for emerging as the enabler for a Vibrant Electricity Market in the country by consistently implementing transmission systems, setting new benchmarks in performance and technological advancements.
- CMD, Power Grid, Shri I. S. Jha has been awarded with the 'Atal Maithili Samman' by Hon'ble Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, on 25th December 2017 in New Delhi.
- CEPM Honorary Fellowship Award by Centre for Excellence in Project Management (CEPM) was bestowed to CMD, POWERGRID, I. S. Jha during the 251h Global Symposium 2017.
- Power Grid has been awarded ‘Healthy Award 2017’ by Arogya World recognizing it as a Healthy Workplace. Arogya World has commended this year's Healthy Workplace winners for their commitment to employee health and wellness.
- Power Grid has been conferred Dun & Bradstreet Infra Award 2017 in the Power Transmission category. Dun & Bradstreet is the world's leading provider of business information and knowledge.
- Power Grid has won the Golden Peacock Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance - 2017.
- Power Grid has been bestowed with ‘Excellence in CSR’ Award by the Hindi National Daily, Amar Ujala.
- Meenakshi Davar, Executive Director (HR) was felicitated as Woman Persona- InWENA of the Decade-Public Sector Enterprises (PSEs). The 2nd InWENA Awards 2017 recognizes her Yeomen Contribution to the Power Sector and Public Sector-at-large across various functions like Human Resource, Corporate Social Responsibility, Technical Planning, etc.
- Platts has released its ranking of Top 250 Global Energy Companies for 2017. Power Grid retained its position as the 'Fastest Growing Electric Utility in Asia' for the fourth successive year (since 2014). At the Global level Power Grid has been positioned as the 5th Fastest Growing Electric Utility. Across all Industries globally, Power Grid is placed at 81, registering a leap of 11 positions from its last year's rank of 92. Power Grid has been ranked 17th 'Fastest Growing Energy Company' globally and is the only Indian CPSE to feature in the Top 20 list. This ranking is based on the company's compounded revenue growth over a three-year period. The Platts Top 250 Global Energy Rankings recognizes outstanding accomplishments of top performing energy companies around the world published annually by S&P Global Platts.
- Power Grid has been awarded as the 11 Best Issuer on EBP - PSU11 by National Stock Exchange of India Limited (NSE).
- Power Grid gets the Runners up Award in the Maharatnas & Navratnas Category for 'Operational Performance Excellence at the PSE Excellence Awards 2016 on September 07, 2017.
- Team Power Grid representing India has won the Asian Championship in Asian Management Challenge-2017, competing with teams from Hong Kong, Macau, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Malaysia etc.
- Power Grid has been recognized as one of the Best Companies to Work for-2017 in the GREAT PLACE TO WORK study released on June 30, 2017. This is one of the largest studies around the globe having coverage of more than 800 organizations in India.
- Power Grid has been conferred the Dun & Bradstreet PSU Award 2017 in the Electricity: Power Transmission Sector category.
- Power Grid has been adjudged as one of the India’s Best Companies to Work for 2017, by Great Place to Work Institute- India.
- Power Grid Team has won the 26th National Championship of Business Management Simulation organised by All India Management Association.
- Power Grid conferred Gold Trophy for Top Exporter of the year 2013-14.
- Smt Seema Gupta, ED (NR-1) conferred with outstanding woman manager award by SCOPE.
- Power Grid has conferred ‘The Star Performer Award’ for the year 2014-15 by Engineering Exports Promotion Council (EEPC) under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce for the Exports performance achieved through International Business.
- Power Grid was awarded by Central Board of Irrigation and Power with ‘CBIP Award for Outstanding Contribution in Transmission Sector’ in institutional category.
- Power Grid has conferred ‘Energy Storage Project of the Year’ by India Energy Storage Alliance (IESA) for the R&D project, a first of its kind project in India where battery energy storage systems of 1 cumulative MW capacity based on two different battery and control technologies are connected to the grid.
- Power Grid Corporate Centre has been awarded Rajbhasha Unnayan Puraskaar 2016-17 for Best implementation of Hindi by Town Official Language Implementation Committee (TOLIC).
- Power Grid won 1st Prize in the category ‘Best Garden in the City’ by Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) Gurugram in ‘Spring Fest- Flower Festival 2017’.
- Power Grid bestowed with appreciation shield as Host utility partner and display of smart grid technology in International Conference and Exhibition on Smart Grid and Smart Cities in concluding session of India Smart Grid Week 2017 organized by India Smart Grid Forum from 7th to 10th March 2017 at Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi.
- Power Grid awarded the ‘Clean Energy Award -2016’ for best power transmission utility in India for its remarkable efforts in the field of sustainable development and promoting clean energy transmission in India by AI Global, UK.
- Power Grid has been awarded ‘Industry Excellence Awards 2017’ in the category of ‘Energy & Power’ on the occasion of BRICS International Conclave for MSMEs & Startups organized by ‘Stepup360’ & ‘BRICS International Forum’ and supported by MSME- DI, New Delhi.
- Power Grid has been bestowed with DainikBhaskar India Pride Award 2016-17 in the Energy & Power category.
- The CNBC-TV18 has honored POWERGRID with ‘Best Risk Management Practice’ Award at the 3rd India Risk Management Awards in PSU category.
- Power Grid and POSOCO have received 2016 North American Synchrophasor Initiative (NAPSI) Award for Outstanding utility for their significant accomplishment & contribution towards various PMU Pilot Projects including nationwide WAMS System Project.
- Power Grid bestowed with Best Transmission Company Award by Dun & Bradstreet.
- Power Grid stall Bagged 1st Runners Up Trophy at Switch Expo, Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Power Grid becomes the 3rd Fastest Growing Electric Utility in the world. The company has retained its position as the ‘Fastest Growing Electric Utility in Asia’ for the third consecutive year in the industry category ‘Electric Utilities, as per 2016 Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rakings’.
- Power Grid has won the 'Dun & Bradstreet India's Top PSU Award 2016 in the Electricity- Power Transmission Category.
- Power Grid has been recognised as one of ‘India’s Best Companies to Work for 2016’ by 'The Great Place to Work Institute' in association with The Economic Times, recognising the power of excellence, joy and happiness at work place among 800+ organizations in India.
- Power Grid was awarded with ‘BT CSR Excellence’ award by Bureaucracy Today magazine for the excellent work done in the area of rural development under their CSR initiative.
- Power Grid has been awarded the Second prize at SCOPE Corporate Communication Excellence Awards 2016 for case study of Crisis Management and Second prize at Corporate Communication Excellence Awards 2016 in the Category of 'Innovative Stakeholder Interface'.
- Power Grid was felicitated with 'Rajbhasha Navratna; award for the year 2015-16, by 'Bhartiya Bhasha Evam Sanskruti Kendra' for the best practices of implementation of official language.
- Power Grid is conferred India Pride Awards 2015-16 for 'Excellence in Energy and Power' in the category of PSU-Central by the leading media house, Dainik Bhaskar.
- Executive Director (Human Resource), Power Grid has been conferred with ‘Amity Woman Achiever Award 2016’ for her pioneering efforts in the field of Human Resource.
- Power Grid was felicitated at the 3rd Annual Economic Times Power Focus Summit for its incredible contribution to the Power Sector.
- Power Grid's pavilion at International Industrial Trade fair, INNOPROM 2016, held at Russia in July 2016 awarded ‘Best PSU Pavilion’.
- 1991: The transmission assets of Nuclear Power Corporation Limited were transferred to Power Grid.
- 1992: Transmission assets of Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited were taken over by Power Grid under the Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited.
- 1993: The National Thermal Power Corporation Limited, the National Hydro Electric Power Corporation Limited and the North-Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (Acquisition and Transfer of Power Transmission Systems) Ordinance (Power Transmission Systems Ordinance) was enacted , pursuant to which the right, title and interest of these three power generating companies in relation to the power transmission system, comprising of the main transmission lines, including the extra high voltage alternative current transmission lines and the HVDC lines, and sub-stations, owned by them, were acquired by the Government of India and transferred to Company, with effect from April 1, 1992.
- 1993: The transmission assets of Tehri Hydro Development Corporation Limited are transferred to Power Grid.
- 1994: The Government of India entrusted Power Grid with the responsibility of controlling the existing load despatch centres in the country with a view to achieve better grid management and operation.
- 1996-1994: Control of the five regional load despatch and communication centres was transferred to Power Grid in a phased manner. Power Grid undertook the unified load despatch and communication project (ULDC) under which modernized load despatch facilities have been established in each of the five regional centres. The establishment of a national load despatch centre is also underway.
- 1998: Power Grid was notified as a Mini Ratna (Category I) company by the Government of India.
- 1998: Power Grid was notified as the Central Transmission Utility by the Government of India. Power Grid continues to be the CTU under the Electricity Act, 2003 as per the notification issued by the GoI on November 27, 2003.
- 2007: Power Grid’s Listing of Equity Shares on the Stock Exchanges.
- 2008: Power Grid was notified as a Navratna Company.
- 2009: Power Grid established National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC) at New Delhi.
- 2009: Power Grid’s wholly owned subsidiary, Power System Operation Corporation Limited, was incorporated.
- 2010: Ceritficate for Commencement of Business issued to Power System Operation Corporation Limited.
- 2010: Successful listing of fresh equity shares on stock exchanges in India through Follow-on Public Offer.
- 2012: Power Grid adopted Vision and its new Mission.
- 2012: Power Grid received its international credit rating from Standard & Poor’s and Fitch ratings
The pilot 1200kV Single circuit and Double circuit lines along with one 1200kV Bay were successfully test charged at 1200kV Ultra High Voltage (UHV) AC National Test Station at Bina, Madhya Pradesh.
- 2013: Power Grid issued its Maiden Foreign Currency Bond of $500 million. POWERGRID’s Corporate and $500 Million offshore bond issue as rated by International Credit Rating Agency viz. Standard & Poor and Fitch Ratings.
- 2013: Successfully commissioned 500MW HVDC back to back asynchronous link between Baharampur (India) and Behramara (Bangladesh) of the prestigious Indo-Bangladesh Interconnection.
- 2014: POWERGRID celebrated its ‘Silver Jubilee’, completing 25 years of successful journey as a leading Power transmission utility of country, consolidating its footprints as a World Class, Integrating, Global Transmission Compan with Dominant Leadership in Emerging Power Markets.
- 2015: National Transmision Asset Management Centre (NTAMC), Manesar developed with State of the Art Technology was dedicated to the nation.
- 2016: Successfully commissioned Indo-Nepal cross border.
- 2016: The 1200 Kv National Test Station with both the 1200/400KV bays along with the single and double circuit stations of 1200kV lines are charged. Successfully Commissioned second link of Indo-Bangladesh link.
- 2019: Power Grid signs MoA with Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) for Digital Substation Collaborative R&D Project
- 2019: Power Grid inks MoU with Indian Army to provide Digital Education Programme in ten Army Goodwill Schools in Kashmir region.
- 2019: Power Grid acquires Bhind Guna Transmission.
- 2019: Power Grid acquires Ajmer Phagi Transco
- 2019: Power Grid acquires Fatehgarh-II Transco
- 2019: Govt accords 'Maharatna' status to Power Grid
- 2020: Power Grid ink MoU with the Advance Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer (ACTREC), Tata Memorial Centre (TMC) for construction of 'PowerGrid OT Complex'.
|Parent Organization||Power Grid Corporation Of India Ltd.||Managing Director||K Sreekant|
All values are in Rs Cr
|Company||52 Week||Market Price||P/E Ratio||Financials||Share Holding|