|Market Cap||24,339 Cr||EPS||42.5||High||961|
|Stock P/E||22.5||Net Profit Margin||12.6||Low||945|
Tata Chemicals Price chart
|Market Cap||24,339 Cr||ROE||7.2%|
|P/B Ratio||1.5||Dividend Yield||1.3%|
|Industry P/E||54.8||Book Value||628.4|
About the Company
Tata Chemicals (TCL), established in 1939, is the second largest producer of soda ash in the world with manufacturing facilities spread across four continents. The company operate through two verticals - Basic Chemistry and Specialty Chemistry. The company’s Basic Chemistry product range provides key ingredients to many of the world's leading brands for glass, detergents, pharma, biscuit manufacturing, bakeries and other industries. It has the largest saltworks in Asia, and are the 3rd largest soda ash manufacturer and the 6th largest sodium bicarbonate manufacturer in the world. Its innovations in Specialty Chemistry have led to establishing Tata NQ -- India’s first and only nutritional science business.
It is pioneered the production of Fossence and Gossence, a range of healthy prebiotic products which is marketed to B2B customers across India, North America, Europe, Middle East and Asia. The company has a strong position in the crop protection business through its subsidiary company Rallis India Ltd. Its green patented technology for manufacturing Highly Dispersible Silica is focused on delivering value addition to a number of industries, including high performance tyres, oral care, paints and additives, etc. In Energy Sciences, it is creating a platform to provide cutting-edge solutions around Lithium Ion cell technology.
Business area of the company
Tata Chemicals is a global company with interests in businesses that focus on Basic Chemistry Products and Specialty Chemistry Products.
The company’s key products are soda ash, soda bicarbonate, cement, salt, marine chemicals and crushed refined soda.
- Alkali products: Soda Ash, Sodium Bicarbonate, Caustic Soda, Crushed Refined Soda
- Halogen products: Chlorine-based products, Bromine-based products
- Salt products: Industrial Salt, Livestock Salt, Animal Salt, Gypsum
- National energy conservation award (first prize) by Ministry of Power, Government of India
- Excellence in safety award (nitrogenous fertilisers) by Fertiliser Association of India
- Yogyata Praman Patra (for safety performance in 1995-97) by National Safety Council
- Best production performance award (nitrogenous fertilisers) by Fertiliser Association of India
- National energy conservation award (second prize; no company was awarded the first prize in 1998) by Ministry of Power, Government of India
- Unilever Safety Award (bronze trophy for achieving 1,00,000 man-hours without LTA)
- Award for best productivity performance (nitrogenous fertilisers; second place) by National Productivity Council
- Gujarat Safety Council Award (chemicals and fertiliser category) from Gujarat Safety Council
- Unilever Safety Award (silver trophy for achieving 2,00,000 man-hours without LTA)
- TCL Ranavav Limestone quarries ranked 1st in Saurashtra mines safety week competition
- TCL Ranavav Limestone quarries ranked 1st in IX Mines Environment and Conservation week competition
- Gujarat safety council award and certificate of honour by Gujarat Safety Council
- TCL Ranavav Limestone quarries ranked 1st in Saurashtra mines safety week competition
- Environment protection award by Fertiliser Association of India
- Best production performance award for single super-phosphate plant by (SSP) Fertiliser Association of India
- Best environmental and ecological implementation gold award by Green Land Society, Hyderabad
- Environment, agriculture and rural development award from Indian Merchants' Chamber
- Jawaharlal Nehru memorial national award for pollution control and energy conservation
- TCL Ranavav Limestone quarries ranked 1st in Saurashtra mines safety week competition
- Gujarat Safety Council award and certificate of honour by Gujarat Safety Council
- National energy conservation award from Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of Power, Government of India
- Best overall performance of an operating ammonia and urea plant (runners-up) by Fertiliser Associa
- Best production performance award for single super-phosphate plant (SSP) from Fertiliser Association of India
- Golden Peacock environment management award by World Environment Foundation
- Environment, agriculture and rural development award by Indian Merchants' Chamber
- Excellence in Natural Gas Conservation - Best Performer in the fertiliser sector category
- Tata Salt listed among the Top 20 brands globally by AC Nielsen's Winning Brands Global Database
- Excellence in Natural Gas Conservation (Fertiliser Sector) by Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Tata Salt named Superbrand in FMCG brands category by Superbrands India
- National Energy Conservation Award (Certificate of Merit) from Ministry of Power, Government of India
- Best production performance award for phosphoric acid plant by Fertiliser Association of India
- Rotating Shield, Certificate of Lowest DII and Certificate of Honour by Gujarat Safety Council
- Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality award - Certificate of Merit (manufacturing category) from Indian Merchants' Chamber
- 4th National Award for Energy Management from CII-Sohrabji Godrej Green Business Centre
- 5 Star rating for Babrala by British Safety Council, UK
- Greentech Platinum Environment Excellence Award by Greentech Foundation, Delhi
- Commendation Certificate for Strong Commitment to TQM at CII-Exim Bank Awards for Business Excellence
- Corporate Social Responsibility Communications - Print Media; First prize. (For TCL's TCSRD Report) by Association of Business Communicators of India
- Digital Communications - Digital Media; First prize (For TCL's intranet and website)
- Association of Business Communicators of India December 2004
- Internal Communication Newsletter - Print Media; Certificate of merit.(For Manthan) by Association of Business Communicators of India
- Best Technical Innovation Award for Babrala Fertiliser Association of India
- Excellence in Safety for Babrala by Fertiliser Association of India
- Environmental Protection Award in SSP Plants category for Haldia by Fertiliser Association of India
- Best overall performance of an operating SSP Unit for Haldia by Fertiliser Association of India
- ICMA Aditya Birla Award for Best Responsible Care Committed Company by Indian Chemical Manufacturers Association
- Commendation Certificate for strong commitment to TQM (Fertiliser SBU, Babrala), CII-Exim Bank Award for Business Excellence
- Tata Salt named Superbrand in FMCG brands category
- TBEM 500+ for active promotion of TBEM at 10th JRDQV Awards
- Highest Delta Award at 10th JRDQV Awards
- 5 Star rating for Mithapur by British Safety Council, UK
- Excellence in National Gas Conservation for Babrala by GAIL (India)
- Safety Gold Award for Babrala (Chemical Sector) Greentech Foundation, Delhi
- Golden Peacock environment management award (Fertiliser SBU) World Environment Foundation June 2005
- Safety Gold Award for Babrala (chemical sector) Greentech Foundation, Delhi April 2005
- Merit Award for Excellence in Cost Management - 2004 by Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India
- FMCG Consumer Reaction Award from Indira Group of Institutes
- IMC Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality award (manufacturing category) by Indian Merchants' Chamber
- CFBP - Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar Trophy Council for Fair Business Practices
- Tata Salt elected as 'Mera Brand', Consumer category, at World Awards
- ICAI Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting by Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- TCL wins Deal of the Year Award for BMGL acquisition from IMA
- Tata Salt wins Popular Consumer Award and title ‘Master Brand’ from Bharti Vidyapeeth’s Institute of Management Studies & Research
- Babrala plant wins FAI Award for the Best Technical Innovation
- Haldia plant wins FAI Award for Best Overall performing SSP Plant
- Fertiliser SBU wins Environment Sustainability 5 star rating from British Safety Council
- Fertiliser SBU wins FAI Environment Protection Award
- CII National Award for Excellence in Water Management 2007 for 'Most useful presentation'
- Chemical SBU wins International Asia Pacific Quality Award
- Crop nutrition business wins International Asia Pacific Quality Award for Business Excellence
- Shriram Award for the Best Article in Marketing
- ICC award for Social Responsibility
- First prize, Best Practice Exhibition from TQMS at Business Excellence Convention, Phuket
- CII National Award for Excellence in Water Management 2007 for 'Excellent Water Efficient unity' from Beyond Fence
- 9 National Awards for Communications at the Association of Business Communicators of India 2007 (8 Golds + 1 Bronze)
- Nation's No 1 Food Brand, and No 3 Most Trusted Brand - Brand Equity ET Survey 2008
- Mithapur unit - 5 star rating by British Safety Council
- Haldia's Chemical and Fertiliser SBUs - Greentech Environment Gold Award
- TBEM JRD QV Award - TQMS 07-08
- Winner and rotating shield for lowest disability injury index - Gujarat Safety Council
- Tata Business Leadership Awards 2007
- Best Innovation Award (The Orion League) - TBEM WRF 2007
- Manthan - Best Newsletter by Rotary Club of Cochin
- Haldia unit - IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Award for Performance Excellence
- Best Social responsibility award from Bombay Stock Exchange 2007
- Babrala unit - Nakheel BSC Sustainability Award
- Dun & Bradstreet American Express Corporate Awards 2007
- Tata Chemicals - Corporate Citizen of the Year award by Press Relation Council of India
- Award for Excellence in the field of Industrial Relations by Federation of Gujarat Industries, 2007
- Babrala unit - CII Excellent Energy Efficient Unit Award
- ICC Aditya Birla Best Responsible Care Committed Company award by ICMA
- ICC Award for Excellence in Energy Conservation and Management 2007
- NSCI - Suraksha Puraskar - National Safety Awards
- 11 National Awards for Communications at the Association of Business Communicators of India 2008
- CII National Award for Excellence - Water Management '08
- Best Supplier Award by HUL
- The Asset Triple A Best Deal India Award
- Reader’s Digest Pegasus CSR Award 2008 - Gold
- CNBC TV 18 - CFO award for Best Deal in M&A category
- Business Leader of the Year, Chemicals CHEMTECH Award 2009 for Mr. R Mukundan
- PRCI 3 National Awards on internal / external communication
- Nakheel Sustainability Award
- TCL Awarded the Business Superbrands Status
- RC 14001 - 2005 Certification for TCL UREA division
- Top Fertiliser Company from Dun&Bradstreet Rolta Corporate Awards 2009
- CNBC-TV18 CFO Awards for the Best Deal in the M&A Category
- Investor in Training award for Brunner Mond, UK
- SA 2008 certification for Tata Chemicals
- Vikas Gadre, CIO, Tata Chemicals, featured in Top 50 Global CIO List
- Tata Salt - Most Trusted Food Brand by Brand Equity Survey 2009, conducted by Nielsen
- Bombay Chamber Civic Award 2008-09 in Sustainable Environmental Initiatives Category for 'Water management in a drought-prone area'
- TBEM Highest Delta Award
- Bombay Chamber 'Good Corporate Citizen Award 2008-09'
- ICIS Innovation Award 2009 for 'Best Innovation in Corporate and Social Responsibility' for greening of alkali and saline sediments
- FAI Awards for Overall Performance of an Operating Fertiliser Unit for SSP and Environmental Protection Award in the SSP fertiliser plants category
- Babrala Platinum Award in the 'Process' category in ET's IMEA 2009
- Excellent Energy Efficient Unit Award 2009
- CII-ITC Sustainability Award
- Tata Salt Superbrand Award
- Gujarat Safety Council Award for TCL, Mithapur
- Indy Award for the Best Corporate Film
- Best-in-class Green Manufacturing Award by an international body' from the Stars of the Industry Group
- Best Website Debut Award in the Gold Category at the Indian Digital Media Awards for www.humantouchofchemistry.com
- ABCI Awards: Gold for Newsletter Design and Best Tabloid; Silver for Best English Language Feature; Silver for Environmental Communications; Silver for Wallpaper
- PRCI Awards: Gold for Vernacular Section of In-house Magazine, Tabloid, Corporate Film and Corporate Website
- Eleven ABCI National Awards and Star Communicator Company of the Year for Corporate Communications
- Gold at IDSA Design Awards for Tata Swach Design
- Tata Chemicals wins Silver ICAI Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting
- Tata Chemicals received CNBC Asia's India Corporate Social Responsibility Award
- ABCI Awards: Gold in Photo Feature and Newsletter categories; Silver for New Publication, Best Headline and Corporate Intranet categories
- Product of the Year - 2012 for Tata Swach water purifier
- Employer Branding Award, 2012 for 'Best HR Strategy in Line with Business Strategy'
- Mother Teresa Award for Corporate Citizen 2011
- CII - ITC Sustainability Awards 2011
- Tata Chemicals Europe wins the UK's national training award, 2011
- Tata I-Shakti pulses voted Product of the Year 2013 by consumers
- Brand Leadership Award 2013: Tata I-Shakti conferred Emerging Brand Award; Ashvini Hiran, chief operating officer, consumer products division, Tata Chemicals recognised with '50 Most Talented Brand Leaders of India Award'
- Tata Chemicals conferred with the prestigious Council for Fair Business Practices Award 2013
- FAI Golden Jubilee Awards: Tata Chemicals conferred with awards for 'Transfer of Improved Farm Technologies', 'Excellence in Safety' and 'Environmental Protection'
- Tata Chemicals Babrala plant bagged the prestigious CII Energy Efficient Unit award
- Tata Chemicals' Babrala plant bags NSCI's 'Suraksha Puraskar' at the National Safety Awards
- Tata Chemicals awarded the 'Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards 2015' in the 'Fertilizers' sector
- Tata Chemicals Babrala plant wins the CII Excellent Energy Efficient Unit Award
- Tata Chemicals bags two awards at the ninth CII National LSS Competition
- Tata Chemicals honoured with Aon Best Employer award
- Tata Sampann Low Oil absorb besan wins the Tata Innovista 2017 award for Implemented Innovations
- Tata Nx Zero Sugar wins the Ayush Kamal Ratna award for 'India's Best Natural Sweetener'
- Tata Chemicals' CSR initiative 'Dharti Ko Arpan' wins the 1st Best Practices Award at the 12th National Convention on the theme of 'Making Global Goals Local Business'
- Tata Chemicals Magadi (TCM) won at the 2nd Annual Digital Inclusion Awards, held in Nairobi. TCM won the highest accolade in the agribusiness sector
- Tata Chemicals was among the winners at Asia’s Most Trusted Companies Awards 2018, held in Bangkok
Tata Chemicals Magadi wins at the Digital Inclusion Awards
- TATA Nx Zero Sugar awarded Ayush Kamal Ratna for India’s Best Natural Sweeteners
- Tata Salt ranked 3rd Most Trusted Food Brand in Economic Times' Survey 2017
- TCL’s Corporate Social Responsibility team won the Best Practice Award on Sustainable Development Goals of UN Global Compact Network India
- Tata Chemicals wins the coveted award for Fair Business Practices at the 30th Jamnalal Bajaj Awards
- Tata Chemicals' technician honored with Prime Minister's Shram Shri Award
- Tata Chemicals wins at the CII Industrial IP Awards 2017
- Tata Chemicals wins the award for the best scientific paper at International Symposium on Horticulture 2017
- Tata Chemicals wins Sustainability Award for Excellence in Safety (Chemicals) at FICCI Chemicals and Petrochemicals Awards during India Chem Gujarat 2017
- Tata Salt bags the prestigious Golden Dragon international award across Asia Pacific for its Sehat ki Chuski campaign
- Tata Salt receives the Bronze Award at the EMVIES for its Namak ke Wastey campaign
- Compliance Management Team of Tata Chemicals wins the ‘Compliance in-house legal team of the year’ award by Legal Era
- Rajiv Chandan, General Counsel and Company Secretary, was recognised with the ‘Outstanding Corporate Counsel’ award
- Dipalok Dutta Choudhary from Corporate Legal team was bestowed with the ‘Rising Stars Young Achievers Awards, 2018’
- Tata Chemicals wins the coveted Compliance Team award for its compliance, ethics and governance protocols
- 1927: Kapil Ram Vakil sets up Okhamandal Salt Works. On May 4, VT Krishnamachari, then dewan (administrator) of Baroda, lays foundation stone.
- 1937: Tatas approached to take over Okhamandal Salt Works.
- 1939: Tata Chemicals Limited incorporated on January 23.
- 1942: First unit of chemical works - a bromine plant - is completed. It is the only plant of its kind in India.
- 1943: Auxiliary power plant commissioned.
- 1943: Production of caustic soda, liquid chlorine, bleaching powder, hydrochloric acid and zinc chloride commences at Mithapur plant.
- 1944: Soda ash production starts in February.
- 1944: Lease agreement signed between Baroda state and Tata Chemicals on March 16.
- 1944: Tata Chemicals given rights to manufacture salt and marine minerals and to use lime stone and other raw materials within the Kathiawad region of the state.
- 1946-50: Hospital and medical facilities set up in Mithapur.
- 1946-50: Production of sodium bicarbonate starts.
- 1952-53: Soda ash capacity increases from 50 to 100 tonnes per day.
- 1955-56: Production of technical grade benzene hexachloride (a pesticide) starts.
- 1956-57: Ethylene dibromide, a new product from bromine, introduced.
- 1956-57: Production of copper oxychloride, an insecticide, starts. Plant and equipment designed in-house.
- 1957: Joint venture with Fison Pest Control to form Tata Fisons.
- 1957: Subsequently merged with Rallis in 1972-73.
- 1961-62: Production of dense soda ash starts.
- 1962-63: Net profit increases from Rs16.9 lakh to Rs79.7 lakh.
- 1962-63: Significant breakthrough as technical staff succeed in using treated sea water in place of fresh water.
- 1964: Soda ash capacity touches 400 tonnes per day.
- 1969: Further expansion of soda ash capacity.
- 1971-75: Tata Chemicals discontinues sale of chemicals through Tata Oil Mills (TOMCO) and starts selling on its own.
- 1971-75: Plant and machinery worth Rs414 lakh installed.
- 1971-75: Tata Energy Research Institute set up with an initial contribution of Rs1 crore. Aimed at undertaking research and development of alternate forms of energy.
- 1977-78: Shipping division started. MV Jagdev purchased from the Great Eastern Shipping Company.
- 1977-78: Wholly-owned investment subsidiary, Roshan Investments set up (name changed to Varuna Investments Limited in 1978).
- 1979: Relief and rehabilitation programmes undertaken for those affected by Morvi floods.
- 1979-80: Develops new salt works.
- 1979-80: Tata Chemicals Society for Rural Development established to improve quality of life in Okhamandal villages.
- 1981-90: Tata Salt, India's first iodised, vacuum evaporated, branded salt launched
- 1981-90: Starts mini toy train, Sabras Express, in Mithapur
- 1992: Regional development programme for Okhamandal villages started
- 1992: Tata Shudh detergent launched
- 1993: New cement plant started in Mithapur
- 1994: Fertiliser plant at Babrala commissioned in 36 months, a world record for setting up a fertiliser plant
- 2002: Mithapur plant, India awarded the ISO 14001 certificate
- 2003: Tata Salt ranked No. 1 Food brand in Brand Equity Survey of India's most trusted brands
- 2003: Mithapur becomes the first industrial township to be awarded the ISO 14001 certificate
- 2003: Fertiliser plant gets ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification
- 2004: Tata Chemicals gets ISO 14001 certification for the Babrala Township
- 2004: Sets up the Innovation Centre to develop world-class R&D capability in the emerging areas of nanotechnology and biotechnology
- 2005: First step towards internationalisation – Tata Chemicals acquires stake in Indo Maroc Phosphore SA (IMACID)
- 2006: Tata Chemicals completes acquisition of UK-based Brunner Mond Group, one of the world's leading manufacturers of soda ash and associated alkaline products
- 2008: Tata Chemicals becomes world's second largest soda ash manufacturer after acquiring US-based General Chemical Industrial Products (GCIP)
- 2009: Tata Chemicals launches I-Shakti Cooking Soda – refined sodium bicarbonate
- 2009: Tata Chemicals launches 'Tata Swach' water purifier, designed to tackle one of India's biggest social and technological challenges – the need for safe drinking water
- 2010: Tata Chemicals launches I-Shakti dals and pulses
- 2010: Rallis India acquires majority stake in Metahelix Life Sciences
- 2010: Tata Chemicals acquires 100 percent stake in leading vacuum salt producer British Salt, UK
- 2011: Tata Chemicals rebrands global subsidiaries - Tata Chemicals North America (General Chemical Industrial Products), Tata Chemicals Magadi (Magadi Soda Company), Tata Chemicals Europe (Brunner Mond and British Salt)
- 2011: Acquires stake in EPM Mining Ventures, Canada
- 2012: Tata Salt Plus, India's first iodine plus iron fortified salt launched
- 2012: Tata Salt launches its flavoured variants - 'Flavoritz'
- 2013: Tata Chemicals launches innovative organic plant growth regulators – FarmGro and FarmGro G
- 2013: Tata Chemicals signs MoU with the Institute of Chemical Technology to set up endowment chair
- 2013: Tata Chemicals's efforts help save more than 350 whale sharks
- 2014: Tata Chemicals completes 75 years in business
- 2014: State-of-art innovation centre inaugurated in Pune
- 2014: Tata Chemicals launches Paras 20:20:0:13 ammonium phosphate sulphate fertiliser
- 2015: Tata Chemicals launches Tata Sampann with a focus on providing everyday nourishing foods
- 2015: Tata Chemicals signs MoU with Tata Community Initiatives Trust to build the first skill development centre under Tata Strive
- 2017-18: Completes sale and transfer of Urea Business (Babrala) to Yara Fertilisers India
- 2017-18: Divests phosphatic fertiliser and trading business (Haldia) to IRC Agrochemicals
- 2017-18: Starts construction of 5,000 MT manufacturing plant of fructooligosaccharides in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- 2017-18: Acquires the precipitated silica business of Allied Silica in Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu; starts manufacturing Highly Dispersible Silica (HDS)
- 2017-18: Launches new Tata Sampann products - Multigrain Khichdi, Nutri Mix Chillas and Organic Pulses
- 2017-18: Launches MedikarbTM, India’s - first branded pharmaceutical-grade sodium bicarbonate
- 2017-18: Ranks no 1 in the Responsible Business Rankings 2017, a report co-produced by the Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur and Futurescape Netcom
- 2017-18: Receives the Sustainable Plus Platinum Label, India's first and only corporate sustainability label, instituted by CII’s Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development, for FY 2016
- 2017-18: Wins the coveted award for Fair Business Practices at the 30th Jamnalal Bajaj Awards
- 2017-18: Scores Grade B under climate change performance management category in CDP 17 and stands 1st under material category
- 2018-19: Tata Chemicals takes the top spot for Sustainability and CSR in Responsible Business Ranking 2019
- 2018-19: Tata Chemicals ranked amongst top 25 India’s Most Innovative Companies of 2019
- 2018-19: Tata Chemicals increases holding in Tata Chemicals North America to 100%
- 2018-19: Tata Chemicals Magadi wins at the company of the year awards 2019
- 2018-19: Tata Chemicals launches li-ion battery recycling operations
- 2018-19: Tata Global Beverages and Tata Chemicals announce transaction to combine consumer businesses to create a focused consumer products company
- 2019-20: Rapidly expands capacity to produce essential products and align with the new strategic imperative brought on by the pandemic
- 2019-20: Showcases biodiversity conservation projects at the UN Convention on Migratory Species (COP - 13)
- 2019-20: Completes demerger of Consumer Products Business to become a focussed science driven chemistry company
- 2019-20: Commences trial production at the 5,000 MT greenfield biotechnology manufacturing unit in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- 2019-20: Commences commercial production of non-rubber and rubber grade Silica at 900 TPM Silica plant in Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu
- 2019-20: Commences commercial production of the first phase expansion (500 MT) of Metribuzin plant
- 2019-20: Secures land in Dholera, Gujarat to set up a greenfield manufacturing facility for Energy Sciences vertical
- 2019-20: TCSRD awards scholarships to over 550 students from Okhamandal
|Parent Organization||Tata Chemicals Ltd.||Managing Director||R Mukundan|
All values are in Rs Cr
|Company||52 Week||Market Price||P/E Ratio||Financials||Share Holding|