Pharmaceuticals & Drugs
|Market Cap||2,36,083 Cr||EPS||5.9||High||990.95|
|Stock P/E||165.6||Net Profit Margin||19.5||Low||963|
Sun Pharmaceutical Price chart
|Market Cap||2,36,083 Cr||ROE||7.2%|
|P/B Ratio||8.9||Dividend Yield||1.0%|
|Industry P/E||64.8||Book Value||110.5|
About the Company
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries established in 1983 with five psychiatry products and a two person marketing team. Sun Pharma is the fifth largest specialty generic pharmaceutical company in the world. It provide high-quality, affordable medicines trusted by healthcare professionals and patients in many countries worldwide. Sun Pharma is also India’s largest and pharmaceutical company. Its global presence is supported by several manufacturing facilities across few continents. In the US market which contributes a significant share of its revenues, the company is the leader in the generic dermatology segment. It has strong capabilities in developing generic and complex products with a robust pipeline of many ANDAs, including high value First-to-File (FTF) opportunities. It has an established presence in Europe and key high-growth Emerging Markets (EM) like Russia, Romania, South Africa, Brazil and Malaysia. The company’s primary focus is to in-license generic and differentiated generic products that are close to commercialization or in advanced stage of development for North America, Western Europe and Japan markets.
The company is market leader in India and it is interested in partnerships for late stage and/or marketed opportunities complementary to its commercial footprint or expansion within its core areas of focus in India. These include CNS disorders, Cardiology, Diabetes and Metabolic disorders, Gastroenterology, Ophthalmology, Oncology, Pain, Rheumatology, Allergy, Asthma and Inflammation and Gynecology. Its focus is for NCEs, NBEs, NDDS based differentiated products, Biosimilars, Proprietary Technology Barrier Products which provide it the first mover advantage in India. The company’s leadership position in India allows it to offer significant value to innovator companies who want to partner with a dynamic and leading company, capable of successfully marketing its assets and willing to give the right priority to in-licensed or partnered projects.
Business area of the company
The company is among the largest specialty generic pharmaceutical company and India's top pharmaceutical company. A vertically integrated business and a skilled team enables it to deliver high-quality products, trusted by customers and patients in many countries across the world, at affordable prices.
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients - Crams
- 2005: Dilip Shanghvi is named Entrepreneur of the Year (Healthcare and Life Science) Ernst & Young.
- 2007: Dilip Shanghvi is recognised as First Generation Entrepreneur of the Year CNBC-TV18.
- 2007: Dilip Shanghvi wins Pharmaceutical Companies IMC Juran Quality Medal IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Award Trust.
- 2008: Sun Pharma wins Outstanding Exporter of the Year: Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare and Lifesciences Award CNBC TV 18:The International Trade Awards.
- 2008: Sun Pharma receives Business Leadership Award NDTV Profit.
- 2008: Dilip Shanghvi is named CEO of the Year Business Standard.
- 2008: Dilip Shanghvi is honoured with Entrepreneur of the Year Award The Economic Times.
- 2009: Sudhir V. Valia is named Best CFO in Pharma and Healthcare CNBC-TV18 CFO Awards.
- 2009: Sun Pharma receives Rolta Corporate Award: Pharmaceuticals Dun & Bradstreet.
- 2010: Dilip Shanghvi receives Entrepreneur of the Year Award Ernst & Young.
- 2010: Sun Pharma receives Business Leadership of the Year Award NDTV PROFIT.
- 2011: Dilip Shanghvi is recognised as World Entrepreneur of the Year Ernst & Young.
- 2011: Dilip Shanghvi is honoured with Businessman of the Year Award Business India.
- 2011: Dilip Shanghvi is named Indian of the Year (Business) CNN IBN.
- 2011: Sudhir V. Valia is named Best CFO in Pharma and Healthcare CNBC-TV18 CFO Awards.
- 2011: Sun Pharma is hailed as the Pharmaceutical Company of the Year Frost & Sullivan India Healthcare Excellence Awards.
- 2012: Sun Pharma is named Most Outstanding Company of the Year CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Awards.
- 2012: Sun Pharma is listed among The World’s 100 Most Innovative Companies Forbes.
- 2012: Sun Pharma is listed in Asia's Fab 50 Companies Forbes.
- 2012: Sun Pharma wins Business Leadership of the Year - Pharmaceutical Award NDTV Profit.
- 2013: Uday Baldota receives Best CFO in Pharma and Healthcare Award CNBC TV-18 CFO Awards.
- 2013: Sun Pharma is named Company of the Year The Economic Times.
- 2013: Sun Pharma is named Company of the Year Business Standard.
- 2013: Sun Pharma is listed among Asia's Fab 50 Companies Forbes.
- 2014: Dilip Shanghvi receives Entrepreneur of the Year Award Forbes Magazine.
- 2014: Sun Pharma receives Cardiovascular Pharmaceutical Company of the Year Award Frost & Sullivan India Healthcare Excellence Awards.
- 2014: Dilip Shanghvi receives Business Leader of the Year Award The Economic Times.
- 2014: Sun Pharma is listed among The World’s 100 Most Innovative Companies Forbes.
- 2014: Dilip Shanghvi receives JRD TATA Corporate Leadership Award All India Management Association.
- 2015: Dilip Shanghvi receives Business Leader of the Year Award NDTV.
- 2015: Sun Pharma receives Excellence in CSR Award “India Pharma Awards - 2015” instituted by UBM-India.
- 2015: Sun Pharma receives India Pharma Research & Development Award 2015 Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Government of India.
- 2016: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Inc. receives DIANA (Distribution Industry Award for Notable Achievements) Award Healthcare Distribution Alliance, USA.
- 2016: Dilip Shanghvi receives Padma Shri Award Government of India.
- 2016: Sun Pharma receives Community Care Award ASSOCHAM (Associated Chambers of Commerce).
- 2017: Dilip Shanghvi receives Entrepreneur of the Year Award All India Management Association (AIMA).
- 2018: Dilip Shanghvi receives Lifetime Outstanding Achievement Award Indore Management Association (IMA).
- 2018: Sun Pharma receives Outstanding Contribution in CSR Federation of Gujarat Industries.
- 2018: Sun Pharma receives Best CSR Practices The Economic Times (ET).
Establishment & Growth
- 1983: The Company established with five psychiatry products and a two person marketing team
- 1994: The Company lunches IPO
- 1996: The Company expands sales network across 24 countries.
- 2007: The Company demerges Sun Pharma Advanced Research Company (SPARC) into a separate entity becoming the first pure research company to be listed on India Stock Exchanges.
- 2013: Ranbaxy acquisition catapults Sun Pharma to world’s 5th largest specialty generic pharmaceutical company.
Acquisitions & Alliances
- 1996: The Company acquires API plant from Knoll Pharma at Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India.
- 1997: The Company purchases equity stakes in TDPL and MJ Pharma.
- 1997: The Company’s first international acquisition of Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, USA.
- 1999: The Company acquires Milmet Labs and Gujrat Lyka Organics, India.
- 2000: The Company acquires Pradeep Drug Company, India.
- 2004: The Company acquires Phlox Pharma (India) and niche brands from Women’s First Healthcare (US).
- 2005: The Company completes buyout of manufatruing unit in Bryan, Ohio, US.
- 2005: The Company acquires ICN’s business in Hungary from Valent Pharma.
- 2005: The Company acquires intellectual property and assets of Able Labs from US District Bankruptcy court in New Jersey.
- 2008: The Company acquires Chattem Chemicals Inc, US.
- 2010: The Company acquires controlling stake in Israel-based Taro Pharmaceuticals, USA to effectively double company’s US businesses.
- 2012: The Company completes two more acquisitions in USA; Dusa Pharmaceuticals and the generic business of URL Pharmaceuticals.
- 2014: The Company acquires Ranbaxy in a $4 billion landmark transaction to create world’s fifth largest specialty generic pharma company.
- 2014: The Company acquires pharmalucence in USA.
- 2015: The Company acquires GSK’s Opiates business in Australia
- 2015: The Company acquires Insite Vision Inc. to strighthen branded ophthalmic portfolio in USA.
- 2016: Sun Pharma acquires 14 brands from Novartis in Japan
- 2016: Sun Pharma acquires Ocular Technologies, Sarl to strengthen branded ophthalmic portfolio
- 2016: Sun Pharma acquires branded oncology product Odomzo (sonidegib) from Novartis for global markets
- 2016: Sun Pharma acquires Biosintez to enhance presence in Russian market
Research & Manufacturing
- 1983:Sun Pharma sets up compact manufacturing facility for tablets and capsules at Vapi, Gujarat
- 1991: Sun Pharma establishes first research centre to create a base for strong product and process development
- 1991: Ranbaxy establishes state-of-the-art manufacturing facility for Cephalosporins at Mohali, Punjab, India
- 1995: Sun Pharma begins production at API manufacturing plant in Panoli, Gujarat, India.
- 1997: Sun Pharma establishes new research facility in Mumbai, India
- 1998: Sun Pharma begins operations at a new formulation unit in Silvassa, Gujarat, India
- 2001: Sun Pharma commences production at new formulations unit in Dadra, India
- 2004: Sun Pharma sets up new formulation unit in Jammu, India
- 2004: Sun Pharma commissions first joint venture manufacturing unit in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2015: Sun Pharma enters into research collaboration with Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel & Health Research Institute of Santiago, Spain for brain therapies
- 2016: International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) & Sun Pharma sign an exclusive agreement to develop novel botanical drug for treatment of Dengue
- 2017: Sun Pharma & National Institute of Virology (NIV), India sign agreement to fight Zika, Chikungunya and Dengue
Products & Innovations
- 1987: Sun Pharma begins sale of products across India
- 1988: Sun Pharma launches Monotrate and Angizem, first cardiology products that are sold till today
- 1989: Sun Pharma introduces gastroenterology products in India
- 1998: Sun Pharma acquires a basket of products from Natco Pharma
- 2014: Sun Pharma and Merck & Co. Inc. enter into licensing agreement for Tildrakizumab (MK-3222)
- 2016: Sun Pharma launches Imatinib Mesylate in USA
- 2016: Sun Pharma launches first branded ophthalmic product, BromSite in USA
|Parent Organization||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.||Managing Director||Dilip S Shanghvi|
All values are in Rs Cr
|Company||52 Week||Market Price||P/E Ratio||Financials||Share Holding|