The Ramco Cements is the flagship company of the Ramco Group, a well-known business group of South India. It is headquartered at Chennai. The main product of the company is Portland cement, manufactured in eight state-of-the art production facilities that includes Integrated Cement plants and Grinding units. The company is the fifth largest cement producer in the country. Ramco Grade is the most popular cement brand in South India. The company also produces Ready Mix Concrete and Dry Mortar products, and operates one of the largest wind farms in the country.
Business area of the company
The Company is engaged in manufacture of Cement, Ready Mix Concrete and Dry Mortar products. The Company caters mainly to the domestic markets. The Company also sells cement in Srilanka through its branch operations. The Company is also engaged in sale of surplus electricity generated from its windmills after meeting its captive requirements.
- Drymix Products
- Ramco Concrete
- Ramco Concrete
- 3D VR of Cement Mfg Process
The Company has won the following awards constituted by National Council for Cement and Building Materials, New Delhi.
Ramasamy Raja Nagar Plant
- For Best Improvement in Electrical Energy Performance - 2014-15
- For Best Improvement in Energy Performance in Manufacture of Blended Cements - 2014-15
- For Best Improvement in Energy Performance in Manufacture of Blended Cements - 2013-14
Winner of the Four Leaves Award
- The Ramco Cements is the only Company in the Indian Cement Industry to win the Four Leaves Award (instituted by Centre for Science & Environment) for taking steps to protect the environment by ensuring dust free and clean factory premises.
Winner of the Cleaner Production Measures Award
- Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board and Environment & Forest Dept, Government of AP, presented the Award to The Ramco Cements, Jayanthipuram Unit in recognition of practicing Cleaner Production Measures, on the eve of World Environment Day celebrated at Hyderabad June 05, 2012.
Winner of CII Environmental Best Practices Award
- Alathiyur Unit bagged the CII Environmental Best Practices Award 2012.
Other award won by the company includes:
- Green Award 2012 - Alathiyur Factory (Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board)
- National Level Excellent Energy Efficient Unit Award 2012 - Alathiyur
- National Award for Energy Conservation
- Best Energy Efficient Unit
- Corporate Performance Award by Economic Times
- Best Improvement in Energy Performance by International Congress on Chemistry of Cement
- The Analyst Award by the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India
- Best all Round Industrial Performance by Federation of AP Chambers of Commerce Industries
- Visvesvariah Industrial Award by All India Manufacturers Organisation
- Business Excellence Award
- Export Performance Award by CAPEXIL
- State Safety Awards by Tamil Nadu & AP Governments
- Good Industrial Relations Award by Tamil Nadu & AP Governments
- Mine Safety Awards by Government of AP
- Cleaner Production Measures by AP Pollution Control Board
- 1961: The birth of The Ramco Cements Limited.
- 1962: The first plant of RCL at Ramasamy Raja Nagar, near Virudhunagar in Tamil Nadu, commenced its production with a capacity of 200 tonnes, using wet process.
- 1970: The plant switched over to more efficient dry process. A second kiln was also added to bring the total capacity to 15 lakh tons per annum.
- 1987: The second venture of RCL is its Jayanthipuram plant near Vijayawada in A.P., was set u. The 36.50 lakh ton per annum plant employs the latest state-of-the-art technology.
- 1993: RCL set up the Ramco Windfarm in 1993 at Muppandal in TN.
- 1995: RCL set up the wind farms in Poolavadi near Coimbatore.
- 1997: The third venture of RCL is at Alathiyur in TN, was set up
- 1999: RCL commissioned the most sophisticated Ready Mix Concrete Plant in Medavakkam in South Chennai.
- 2000: RCL acquired Gokul Cements situated in Mathod in Karnataka whose capacity is 2.90 lakh tons per annum.
- 2001: Alathiyur plant expanded by addition of another line. The 30.50 lakh tons per annum plant is the most modern plant in the country.
- 2002: a state-of-art Dry Mortar plant was commissioned near Sriperumpudur, Tamilnadu which manufactures dry mortar, cement based putty and tile fix compound.
- 2005: RCL set up the wind farms in Oothumalai.
- 2005: RCL set up the wind farms in Mathod.
- 2009: Ariyalur plant started operations in 2009 with a capacity of 2 MTPA. It is well-equipped with modern quality control systems.
- 2012: The Line 2 of the plant with a capacity of another 2 MTPA was commissioned.
- 2013 - Madras Cements Ltd. shall be changed to The Ramco Cements Ltd. and the trading symbol of the Company be changed from MADRASCEM to RAMCOCEM.
- 2015 - The Ramco Cements Ltd won the following awards constituted by National Council for Cement and Building Materials -Order passed by Competition Appellate Tribunal (COMPAT) -CLSA - Life-high unit Ebitda -CENTRUM - Sparkling Performance Continues
- 2019 - Ramco Cements gets 5-Star rating for Ariyalur factory in Tamil Nadu.
- 2020 - Ramco Cements enters into MoU with Government of Tamil Nadu.
- 2020 - Ramco Cements inaugurates plant operations of grinding unit at Odisha.