About the Company
Manappuram Finance Limited is one of India’s leading gold loan NBFC. Promoted by Shri. V.P. Nandakumar, its origins go back to 1949 when it was founded in the coastal village of Valapad (Thrissur District) by his late father Mr. V.C. Padmanabhan. The firm was involved in pawn broking and money lending carried out on a modest scale. Shri Nandakumar took over the reins in 1986 after his father expired. Since then, it has been a story of unparalleled growth with many milestones crossed. Incorporated in 1992, Manappuram Finance Ltd has grown at a rapid pace.
Business area of the company
Manappuram Finance is a Systemically Important Non-Deposit taking Non Banking Finance Company (NBFC). The company provides a wide range of fund based and fee based services including gold loans, money exchange facilities, etc.
- Online Gold Loan
- Gold Loan
- SME Finance
- Forex & Money Transfer
- Vehicle Loan
- Doorstep Gold Loan
- Tour & Travel Loan
- Personal Loan
- Micro Home Finance
- Hospitality Industrial Loan
- Teachers Loan Division
- Healthcare Industry Loan
- Other Loans
- Other Services
Awards and Accolades
- 2015: Golden Peacock Awards for CSR-Special Commendation January 2015 Given by Institute of Directors in Mumbai.
- 2015: Best Gold Loan NBFC December 2015 Given by Gems & Jewellery Trade Council of India in Ahmedabad.
- 2016: CNBC Asia Business Leaders Award 2016 November 2016 Shortlisted by CNBC in Jakarta (Indonesia).
- 2017: Best NBFC for Gold Loan Business March 2017 Given by Indian Bullion Jewellers Association (IBJA) in Mumbai.
- 2018: India’s Most Valuable CEOs May 2018 Issued in Business World magazine.
- 2018: Finalists at the EY Entrepreneur of the Year Awards 2017 February 2018 Given by EY in Mumbai.
- 2019: NBFC - Excellence in Innovations Award February 2019 Given by Dhanam Magazine in Ernakulam.
- 2019: Businessman of the Year Award January 2019 Given by State Forum of Bankers Club in Ernakulam.
- 1992: Manappuram Finance Limited (MFL) was incorporated with registered office at Thrissur to conduct the business of financial services, especially leasing and hire purchase
- 1994: Paid maiden dividend in the very first full year of operations (1994) and has maintained a track record of uninterrupted dividend payouts thereafter
- 1995: First NBFC from Kerala to go for a credit rating exercise. ICRA assigns rating of MA to its fixed deposit programme
- 1995: Approaches the capital market with its first Public Issue of shares for Rs 1.75 crore. The shares are listed on the Bombay, Madras and Cochin stock exchanges
- 1996: First NBFC in Kerala permitted by the RBI to accept deposits from the public without restrictions on the limit. The Company is also permitted to set its own interest rates
- 1998: Becomes the first NBFC in Kerala to be given a Certificate of Registration by the RBI
- 1998: A major policy change sees MFL shifting its focus to gold loans
- 2002: Commences foreign exchange business with moneychanger’s licence from the RBI. [Later, in 2007, it becomes first NBFC from Kerala to receive AD - II (Authorised Dealer - II) Licence from RBI]. The registered office is shifted to Valapad, Kerala
- 2003: Manappuram Finance (Tamil Nadu) Ltd. (MAFIT) was established with a registered office in Coimbatore, consequent upon the takeover of Sterling Gem Finance Pvt. Ltd. MAFIT was later merged with MAGFIL w.e.f. April 1, 2008
- 2003: Declared Rights issue
- 2005: Attracted institutional funding for the first time, when ICICI Bank sanctioned working capital facility of Rs 25 crore under a ‘bilateral assignment’ model. Hitherto, MFL had been largely dependent on deposits from the public
- 2006: Singapore government-owned investment fund Fullerton India/Temasek enters the picture with initial sanction of a credit limit of Rs 50 crore to MFL. Within a year, the limits are enhanced to Rs 475 crore.
- 2007: First NBFC in Kerala to receive foreign institutional investment with Sequoia Capital and Hudson Equity Holdings investing Rs 70 crore
- 2007: First NBFC from Kerala to issue bonus shares in the ratio of 1:1
- 2008: Total business volumes of MAGFIL cross the Rs 1,000 crore milestone
- 2008: More FIIs come in and Company raises Rs 70.75 crore
- 2009: Manappuram Foundation established at Valapad in order to further the CSR mission of the Manappuram Group. The first initiative of the Foundation is “Janaraksha Manappuram Soujanya Arogya Insurance Scheme” providing free health insurance to 20,000 BPL families (covering over one lakh beneficiaries) in the seven panchayats of Nattika assembly constituency.
- 2010: Declared 1:1 bonus issue for second time
- 2010: Total business volumes crossed Rs 5,000 crore
- 2010: Raised Rs 245 crore through the QIP route
- 2010: Opens its 1001st Branch at Thrissur town
- 2010: Superstars Mohanlal, Vikram, Venkatesh, Puneeth Rajkumar and Akshay Kumar among others becomes Manappuram’s brand ambassadors
- 2010: Raised additional capital of Rs 1,000 crore from FIIs (through QIP)
- 2010: Stock split: Equity share of face value of ` 10/- split into 5 shares of face value of Rs 2/- each
- 2011: Assets under Management (AUM) records threefold growth to Rs 7,549 crore
- 2011: Adopts a new name, Manappuram Finance Ltd., in place of the earlier name Manappuram General
Finance and Leasing Ltd
- 2011: Declared 1:1 bonus issue for the third time
- 2012: AUM crosses Rs 10,000 crore
- 2012: RBI tightens regulations, stipulates cap on LTV not to exceed 60%
- 2012: Branch Network reaches 2,908, with more than 850 branches added in FY 2012
- 2013: RBI issued key guidelines to bring stability to gold lending business, increases LTV for gold loans to 75%
- 2014: Pioneered the introduction of shorter tenure loans product (3 to 9 months) with lower LTV for longer tenure loans
- 2014: Acquired full ownership of Milestone Home Finance Private Limited from Jaypee Hotels Limited. Name changed to Manappuram Home Finance Private Limited
- 2014: Equity shares of the Company listed on the NSE (Listed on BSE in 1995)
- 2015: Diversified into Home Loans and Commercial Vehicle finance
- 2015: Acquired the Chennai based MFI, Asirvad Microfinance Pvt. Ltd.
- 2015: Introduced online gold loan (OGL) in October becoming the first in the Industry to do so
- 2015: Celebrated 20 years of listing on the BSE with ceremonial ringing of the closing bell by Mr. V.P. Nandakumar and Mrs. Sushama Nandakumar (joint promoters of the Company) on November 6
- 2015: Altered object clause in Memorandum of Association to incorporate diversified business activities
- 2016: V.P. Nandakumar, MD & CEO, is one of a select few from India to be shortlisted for the CNBC Asia Business Leaders Award 2016 held at Jakarta, Indonesia, on November 23
- 2016: Acquired 100% ownership of Manappuram Insurance Brokers Private Limited
- 2017: Awarded ‘Best NBFC for Gold Loan Business’ from the India Bullion Jewellery Association (IBJA), Mumbai, on March 16 at Mumbai
- 2017: Co-branded Pre-paid Money Card in tie up with YES Bank and the MaKash e-Wallet launched on April 15
- 2017: The Company’s shares are included in the derivative segment (futures & options) at NSE, effective June 30
- 2017-18: Overall, gold loan AUM grew 55% and disbursements grew 18.5% during the year.
- 2017-18: The company’s strategy of de-linking gold prices with its gold loan business is paying rich dividends as reflected in the sound credit quality of its gold loans.
- 2018-19: Manappuram Insurance Brokers inaugurated new corporate office in Valapad, Thrissur
- 2018-19: Launched rising stars campaign to motivate employees and reward best performers
- 2018-19: Inaugurated a new office in Chandapady, Valapad spread over 3,691 sq. feet for the teams of Audit, Manappuram Foundation and other departments
- 2018-19: Asirvad Microfinance enters the North East region
|Parent Organization||Manappuram Finance Ltd.||Managing Director||V P Nandakumar|