About the Company
Together, Holck-Larsen and Toubro, founded the partnership firm of L&T in 1938, which was converted into a limited company on February 7, 1946. Today, this has metamorphosed into one of India's biggest success stories. The company has grown from humble origins to a large conglomerate spanning engineering and construction. ECC was conceived as Engineering Construction Corporation Limited in April 1944 and was incorporated as wholly owned subsidiary of Larsen & Toubro Limited. L&T's founders Holck - Larsen and Toubro laid the foundation for ECC.
Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is a major technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing and financial services conglomerate, with global operations. L&T addresses critical needs in key sectors - Hydrocarbon, Infrastructure, Power, Process Industries and Defence - for customers in over many countries around the world.
L&T is engaged in core, high impact sectors of the economy and our integrated capabilities span the entire spectrum of ‘design to deliver’. With decades of a strong, customer focused approach and a continuous quest for world-class quality, it have unmatched expertise across technology, engineering, construction, infrastructure projects and manufacturing, and maintain a leadership in all our major lines of business.
Every aspect of L&T's businesses is characterised by professionalism and high standards of corporate governance. Sustainability is embedded into our long-term strategy for growth. The Company’s manufacturing footprint extends across eight countries in addition to India. L&T has several international offices and a supply chain that extends around the globe.
Business area of the company
Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is a major technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing and financial services conglomerate, with global operations.
Business diversification of the company
- Construction- L&T Construction is among the world’s Top 30 contractors. The business encompasses multiple business - buildings & factories, transport infrastructure, heavy civil infrastructure, smart world & communication, water & renewable energy and power transmission & distribution.
- Hydrocarbon Engineering- L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering, a wholly owned subsidiary of L&T, is dedicated to serving the oil and gas sector around the world. It delivers turnkey engineering and construction solutions to offshore and onshore hydrocarbon projects.
- Power- L&T provides integrated concept - to - commissioning solutions for supercritical thermal power plants. We also offer comprehensive services for gas-based power plants.
- Metallurgical & Material Handling- The business undertakes EPC projects for ferrous and non-ferrous metal industries, as well as bulk material and ash handling systems in the power, port, steel and mining sectors.
- Heavy Engineering- L&T Heavy Engineering manufactures and supplies custom designed equipment & critical piping to process industries such as fertilizer, chemical, refinery, petrochemical, and oil & gas, as well as to sectors such as thermal & nuclear power and aerospace.
- Defence- L&T provides indigenous, design-to-delivery solutions across the defence spectrum - from surveillance to strike capabilities, and mobility platforms essential to enhance their effectiveness. We also offer specialised turnkey defence construction solutions like underground structures, military bases, storage depots, smart infrastructure and modernisation of existing facilities.
- Shipbuilding- L&T’s shipbuilding arm offers total solutions - from concept to design for new builds as well as repair and retrofit - for warships.
- Construction & Mining Machinery- L&T’s construction equipment business manufactures, distributes and provides after-sales support for construction and mining equipment.
- L&T Valves- L&T Valves is a leader in flow-control solutions for critical services. The business has a marketing network that spans the globe and is reinforced through strategic alliances with international distributors.
- LTI- A subsidiary of L&T, LTI is a global IT services and solutions provider with presence in various countries. With many delivery centres and a diversified work force worldwide, the business is expanding into new geographies even as it consolidates its client facing organization in North America and Europe.
- L&T Technology Services- L&T Technology Services offers design and development solutions through the entire development chain in multiple industries. The Company has design and delivery locations in six centres in India, as well as two delivery centres in the US.
- L&T IDPL- L&T Infrastructure Development Projects Ltd (L&T IDPL) is India’s premier infrastructure developer. A leading player in ‘Public-Private-Partnership’ projects, it has business interests in Roads & Bridges, Ports, Metro Rail and Power Transmission.
- L&T Metro Rail- The Hyderabad Metro Rail is the world’s largest metro project in public-private partnership mode. It covers many corridors, transforming Hyderabad, triggering robust economic activity around the city.
- L&T Finance- L&T Finance Holdings offers a diverse set of financial products and services, covering mutual funds, infra finance, home loans and more.
- L&T Realty- The real estate arm of L&T extends the Company’s values of trust, professionalism and commitment to the domain of commercial and residential properties. All properties of L&T Realty embody a sustainable design philosophy and focus on fostering integrated communities.
- L&T-NxT- L&T-NxT leverages the Group’s deep domain expertise across diverse Industry segments and experience of new age technologies - IIoT, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented / Virtual Reality, and Geo-spatial & Cyber Security applications - to deliver disruptive digital outcomes for global customers.
- Mindtree- Mindtree is a global technology consulting and services company, helping Global 2000 corporations marry scale with agility. Its enterprise clients rely on our domain knowledge to make sense of digital complexity and bring new initiatives to market faster. The company are regarded as one of the best places to work, embodied every day by our winning culture made up of entrepreneurial, collaborative and dedicated ‘Mindtree Minds’.
Awards & Recognition
- L&T bags Achievement Award from FinanceAsia
- A.M. Naik, L&T’s CMD, wins Qimpro Platinum Standard – National Statesman Award
- L&T bags EuroFinance Award for Corporate Treasury Management
- Y. M. Deosthalee: CFO of the Year – CNBC TV 18
- Y. M. Deosthalee, L&T’s Chief Financial Officer, was adjudged ‘CFO of the Year’ and also ‘Best Performing CFO in the Capital Goods Sector’ by CNBC TV 18, India’s leading business news channel. (November 18, 2009)
- L&T’s Sustainability Reporting receives Asian honours
- Finance Asia rates L&T among India’s Best Managed Companies
- L&T wins NDTV Profit Business Leadership Award 2009
- NITIE honours A.M. Naik with Lakshya Business Visionary Award
- Bharat Shiromani Award for A.M. Naik
- L&T on Forbes Asia’s Fabulous 50 List – Fourth Time in a Row
- Naik features in DNA’s ‘Mumbai’s 50 Most Influentials’
- Naik featured in Business Week’s ‘India’s 50 Most Powerful People’
- M. Naik receives Padma Bhushan from the President of India
- CII honours L&T with Corporate Wellness Award
- L&T wins D&B-Rolta Top Indian Company Award
- L&T-Chiyoda bags ICWAI Award for Excellence in Cost Management
- L&T Wins Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility
- Chemtech Business Leader of the Year
- L&T bags FICCI Award for Outstanding Corporate Vision
- Technology Block at Hazira wins LEED Platinum Rating
- L&T is ‘Best for Investor Relations’: Asiamoney
- Padma Bhushan for Mr. A. M. Naik
- A.M. Naik Conferred Gujarat’s Highest State Honour - ‘Gujarat Garima Award’
- A.M. Naik, CMD, Honoured at CNBC TV18’s India Business Leader Awards
- A.M. Naik wins CNBC’s Asia Business Leader Award
- A.M. Naik wins Golden Peacock Award for Lifetime Achievement in Business Leadership
- L&T Ranks Among Top 10 in Carbon Disclosure
- Delhi Airport wins British Construction Industry Award
- Economic Times Company of the Year Award to L&T
- L&T wins BCCI's Good Corporate Citizen Award
- L&T featured again in Forbes Asia's Fabulous 50
- A.M. Naik Conferred Award for Outstanding Contribution to Corporate Leadership
- Double Honours for L&T at NDTV Profit
- L &T wins Social Development Award from Bombay Chamber of Commerce
- L&T wins Corporate Wellness Award from Confederation of Indian Industry
- L&T bags Businessworld-FICCI Corporate Social Responsibility Award
- L&T is Business Standard ‘Company of the Year’
- A.M. Naik Honoured with OceanTEX Business Leader of the Year Award
- L&T's in-house magazine, The L&T-ite, bags bags ABCI ‘Magazine of the Year Award’
- A.M. Naik Wins ‘CEO of the Year’ Award from ISTD, Bangalore
- L&T-Komatsu bags Energy Efficiency & Conservation Award
- L&T is The Best Company to Work for in the Manufacturing Sector - Business Today
- A.M. Naik, CMD, L&T, was ranked the ‘Best CEO’ in the Industrials segment in Asia in the All Asia (excluding Japan) Investor Relations Perception Study conducted by the prestigious Institutional Investor magazine. (July 14, 2011)
- Y.M. Deosthalee, L&T ’s Chief Financial Officer and Member of the Board, won the award for ‘India’s Best CFO’ in the annual survey organised by the leading business publication Business Today and Yes Bank. (July 4, 2011)
- L&T Ranks among Top Three ‘Most Attractive Employers’. The award recognizes the country’s best corporate houses to work for among 150 of the largest employers, based on the opinion of over 10,000 potential, as well as, employed workforce in India. (June 29, 2011)
- L&T was ranked among the Top 5 in an Index of Thought Leaders in India published by a London-based communications agency. In the Index, L&T ranks higher than several global brands. The research was conducted by research consultancy firm GlobeScan for the Index of Thought Leaders 2011. (June 24, 2011)
- L&T’s sustainability practices won another accolade as it bagged the Financial Express-EVI Green Business Leadership Award for 2010-11 in the large corporate (engineering) segment. The event was organised jointly by The Financial Express and Emergent Ventures India – an integrated climate change and clean energy firm. (June 7, 2011)
- L&T’s Powai Manufacturing Facility and its ‘green manufacturing’ practices won accolades at the Frost & Sullivan Green Manufacturing Excellence Awards 2011 in Mumbai on 29th April. L&T won the award in the highest category of ‘Overall Leaders’, for its accomplishments in the large enterprise segment. (May 02, 2011)
- L&T’s Corporate Social initiatives (CSI) were yet again acknowledged and applauded – this time with the prestigious ‘Golden Peacock Global CSR Award 2011’. L&T was selected in the category of ‘Top Performer Award’ for its accomplishment in the large enterprise segment. The award honours the Company’s commitment towards community welfare and social development. (April 30, 2011)
- The L&T Monthly Income Plan (MIP) has bagged the coveted 5 Star Ranking from ICRA, and was awarded the ICRA Mutual Fund Award 2011. L&T Mutual Fund won this award against stiff competition with some of India’s largest AMCs, proving its fund management expertise. (March 25, 2011)
- L&T’s Chairman and Managing Director, A. M. Naik, was featured among an elite group of business leaders who are giving thrust, direction and momentum to the process of change that is transforming India’s economic landscape. The book ‘In Search of Change Maestros’ has been co-authored by management guru and former director of IIM – Lucknow, Prof Pritam Singh, along with Dr. Asha Bhandarker – a member of the senior faculty at the Management Development Institute, Gurgaon. The volume was released at a gala launch function at the National Centre for the Performing Arts, Mumbai on Monday, March 7, 2011.
- A.M. Naik, Chairman & Managing Director, L&T, emerged as among the most high profile of India’s corporate leaders in the Indian and the global media. A recent survey of press citations saw Mr. Naik’s rankings soar among the country’s news makers. He was ranked Number 10 in the Indian media, having seen a rise of 157 per cent. In the survey of global media, Mr. Naik is ranked 12th.
- In recognition of L&T’s CMD, Mr. A.M. Naik’s stellar contributions to the industry and nation, the Mumbai based CHEMTECH Foundation has conferred on him its prestigious Hall of Fame - Leadership & Excellence Award 2011. (February 24, 2011)
- L&T bagged the ’India Shining Star CSR Award’, instituted by the Wockhardt Foundation, for Outstanding CSR in the sector for companies engaged in heavy engineering. (February 19, 2011)
- L&T’s CSR initiatives were again in the limelight as it bagged the award for ’Company with the Best CSR and Sustainability Practices’ by the Asian Centre for Corporate Governance and Sustainability. The award was presented at the 11th International Conference of the Centre in Mumbai on February 11, 2011.
- Leading business magazine, Businessworld’s rankings of ’Most Respected Companies’ saw stellar honours for L&T. In the sector-wise survey, L&T was ranked ’India’s Most Respected Company’ in the Infrastructure category. In the overall rankings, L&T emerged second.
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) – the country’s apex body of Chartered Accountants – has bestowed its highest honour, ‘Business Achiever – Corporate’ for the year 2010 on Mr. Y.M. Deosthalee, CFO, L&T, for his outstanding contribution to business leadership as a finance professional. The institute saluted his role in providing strategic direction to the business of financial services, development projects and Information Technology of the L&T Group. (January 30, 2011)
- Union Finance Minister, Mr. Pranab Mukherjee, presented L&T, The Economic Times 'Company of the Year Award - 2010' at a function in Mumbai attended by the elite of business and industry, leading political figures including Mr. Jairam Ramesh, Environment Minister, Mr. Kapil Sibal, HRD & Telecom Minister, Mr. Salman Kurshid, Corporate Affairs Minister, Mr. Prithviraj Chavan, Chief Minister of Maharashtra, and other celebrities. The award was received on behalf of L&T by Mr. A.M. Naik, Chairman & Managing Director. (January 08, 2011)
- M. Naik receives Padma Bhushan from the President of India CII honours L&T with Corporate Wellness Award L&T wins D&B-Rolta Top Indian Company Award L&T-Chiyoda bags ICWAI Award for Excellence in Cost Management L&T Wins Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility Chemtech Business Leader of the Year L&T bags FICCI Award for Outstanding Corporate VisionTechnology Block at Hazira wins LEED Platinum Rating L&T is ‘Best for Investor Relations’: Asiamoney Padma Bhushan for Mr. A. M. Naik ET Business Leader of the Year for Mr. A. M. NaikMr. A.M. Naik Conferred Gujarat’s Highest State Honour - ‘Gujarat Garima Award’, and many more
- L&T Heavy Engineering Wins National Award for Export Excellence
- L&T Hydrocarbon Bags CNBC TV18 ‘Infrastructure Excellence Award’.
- L&T - Chiyoda wins ICAI National Award for Excellence in Cost Management - 2011.
- L&T Heavy Engineering Wins Safety Innovation Award.
- L&T wins NDTV Profit Business Leadership Award.
- L&T Ranks among Top 10 in S&P ESG India Index.
- FICCI Awards for Excellence in Quality Systems.
- L&T Top Engineering Company in Business Today Listing of ‘Best Companies to Work For’.
- L&T 9th in Global Ranking of World’s Most Innovative Companies.
- L&T Voted ‘Champion of Champions’ at the ABCI 52nd Annual Awards.
- L&T Power Wins ‘Golden Peacock National Quality Award’.
- L&T bags NDTV Profit Business Leadership Award.
- L&T Wins D&B Top Infrastructure Company Award.
- L&T Electrical & Automation's AU-Series Wins Best Product Award at ELECRAMA 2014.
- L&T Wins Most Attractive Employer In Infrastructure Industry from Randstad.
- L&T Technology Services Wins Frost & Sullivan Excellence Award
- L&T Wins Golden Peacock Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance.
- F&S India Manufacturing Excellence Award for MFF-Hazira.
- L&T Wins BCCI’s Good Corporate Citizen Award.
- L&T Wins Award for Excellence in Power Project Execution.
- L&T Wins Golden Peacock Award for Risk Management.
- L&T Technology Services is IACC ‘Company of the Year’
- FICCI Quality Systems Excellence Award.
- Best Capital Projects & Infrastructure Risk Management Award from CNBC TV18.
- ‘Special Recognition Award’ in Randstad Brand Survey.
- Ranked Among World’s Best Employers by Forbes.
- L&T Construction’s Vertical Recognized As ‘Best Performing Power Transmission & Distribution Organization’.
- L&T Wins D&B Corporate Award 2019.
- Ranked among Top 10 Employer Brands in India by Randstad Employer Brand Research.
- L&T in listing of Asia’s Most Honoured Companies - Institutional Investor Survey 2019.
- L&T Chosen as the ‘Company of the Year’ by Business Standard.
- L&T Wins Two Risk Management Trophies from CNBC TV18.
|Parent Organisation||Larsen & Toubro Ltd.||Managing Director||SN Subrahmanyan|