About the Company
The company was incorporated as ‘Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited’ (IRCTC) on September 27, 1999, as a public limited company under the Companies Act, 1956, and was granted a certificate of incorporation by the Deputy Registrar of Companies, N.C.T. of Delhi and Haryana. The company received its certificate for commencement of business from the Deputy Registrar of Companies, N.C.T. of Delhi and Haryana on December 2, 1999.
As a Central Public Sector Enterprise wholly owned by the Government of India and under the administrative control of the Ministry of Railways, the company is the only entity authorized by Indian Railways to provide catering services to railways, online railway tickets and packaged drinking water at railway stations and trains in India. It was incorporated with the objective to upgrade, modernize and professionalize catering and hospitality services, managing hospitality services at railway stations, on trains and other locations and to promote international and domestic tourism in India through public-private participation. It was conferred the status of Mini-ratna (Category-I Public Sector Enterprise) by the Government of India, on May 1, 2008.
Business area of the company
The company operates one of the most transacted websites, www.irctc.co.in, in the Asia-Pacific region It has also diversified into other businesses, including non-railway catering and services such as e-catering, executive lounges and budget hotels, which are in line with its objective to build a ‘one stop solution’ for its customers.
Awards and accreditations:
- 2008: The company’s tourism portal was awarded the National Tourism Award.
- 2014: Dainik Bhaskar India Pride Award for Excellence in Consumer Industry for the year 2013-2014.
- 2014: Awarded the most popular website award by Website of the Year India in leisure and travel category.
- 2015: Awarder the Most Innovative e - Retailer of the year award by Star Retailer Awards 2015, 10th Awards for Excellence in Retailing.
- 2015: The company’s mobile app - IRCTC connect was awarded Mobillion award under the category ‘Best Use of Mobile App’.
- 2015: The company’s train, Maharajas’ Express has been conferred with the 'Seven Stars MMXII Luxury Hospitality and Lifestyle Award' at Bali, Indonesia.
- 2016: Awarded the national award for e-governance 2015-16, Gold for New Next Generation e-Ticketing System in the category of ‘Innovative Use of ICT by Central Government PSUs’ by Government of India.
- 2016: Awarded ‘One of the giants of tomorrow- Fortune India The Next 500’ by Fortune India.
- 2017: Certificate of recognition for ranking no. 1 with 97 points in comparative product testing of packaged drinking water for ‘Rail Neer’ by Consumer Voice.
- 2017: Certificate of honor for excellence in domestic tour operations at Satte Awards by UBM India.
- 2018: Dainik Bhaskar India Pride Award in the category of India Image Enhancement / Creating a Global Brand.
- 2019: Certificate of Accreditation for meeting the professional standards of the International Air Transport Association.
Major Events and Milestones:
- 2002: Commenced internet ticketing services.
- 2008: Conferred ‘Mini-Ratna Status’ for Category-I Public Sector Enterprise.
- 2015: The company was awarded with the certificate of approval for conformity with the quality management system of ISO 9001: 2008 with respect to the rail tour package (NDR 01) for Mata Vaishno Devi Darshan.
- 2017: The ranking of company in the Fortune India Next 500 list of Indian companies.
- 2019: IRCTC hit capital market on September 30
- 2019: IRCTC introduces OTP-based refund system for e-tickets
- 2019: IRCTC signs MoU with Hotel and Restaurant Association of Northern India (HRANI)
- 2020: IRCTC, SBI Card launch co-branded contactless credit card on RuPay Platform
|Parent Organisation||Indian Railway Catering And Tourism Corporation Ltd.||Managing Director||Rajni Hasija|