About the Company
The India Cements Ltd. is a cement manufacturing company in India. It was established in 1946. The company is amongst India's leading manufacturers and supplier of cement and rated as one of the best cement companies in India. The company a distribution network with over 10000 stockists. Its brands include Coromandel King-Sankar Sakthi- Raasi Gold Coromandel-Sankar-Raasi blended cements and Sulphate Resisting Portland Cement. The company is the largest producer of cement in South India. The company has several plants in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh India which cater to all major markets in South India and Maharashtra.
Business area of the company
The company is engaged in the manufacture of products that will enable the customer to build structures which are durable, cost effective and conducive for human life style. The company produces blended cement which uses fly ash, a natural waste of the thermal power plants as an additive thereby contributing to the improvement in the environment. All the products of the company comply with relevant standards applicable. The company is also focused on continuous improvement of its clinker to cement ratio resulting in conservation of limestone and reduction of CO2 emission.
Brands of the company
Sankar Super Power - Sankar Super Power is a six decade brand with emotional values providing trust and confidence for its consumers over generations. Strong houses built with Sankar Super Power created peaceful homes. The most popular brand across TN and Kerala.
Coromandel King - Coromandel is a brand with rationale value offering reassurance for the strength and durability of cement and provides value for money. A brand most popular in all the metros! Trusted by all, it's a favourite brand of Engineers & Architects.
Raasi Gold - Raasi Gold is a brand with sentimental value foreseeing golden times for those living in their stronger homes. A household name in Andhra Pradesh and Orissa, it has stood the test of time over three decades.
Awards and Recognitions
- The Company's Vishnupuram plant has been granted license by American Petroleum Institute (API), USA, to use the official API Monogram on manufactured products and in accordance with the provisions of the License Agreement, the API Monogram shall be used in conjunction with the Certificate Number: 10A-0138.
- The Company's Banswara plant has obtained the license for Environment Management Systems Certification (IS/ISO14001:2015) and Quality Management System Certification (IS/ISO 9001:2015) and Occupational Health Management System Certification IS18001:2007 valid for 3 years.
- The Company's Chilamkur plant has been honoured by the Andhra Pradesh State Government with Best Management Award for Congenial and Cordial Industrial Relations and putting in extraordinary efforts for the welfare of labour and CSR activities.
- The company's in-house magazine Compass earned Certificate of Merit in the inhouse magazine competition held in Mumbai and continues to remain among the top 100 meritorious magazines.
- The Company was given an Award of Excellence Certificate on the International Customs Day for being the Top Importer for the year 2016-17, in the category of $ 50 to $ 100 crores in customs duty by the Office of the Commissioner of Customs (Preventive), Vijayawada.
- The Company's Dalavoi Plant was presented with the 'Good Industrial Relations Award' by the Tamil Nadu State Labour Department
- The Company's Sankarnagar Plant has been selected for 'Commendation Award' for Health and Safety for the Calendar year 2016 by the National Safety Council, Tamil Nadu Chapter.
- The Company's Chennai Grinding Unit has got Safety Award for Lowest Weighted Frequency Accident Rate and Longest Accident Free Period in Man Hours from Tamil Nadu Government.
- The Company’s Sankari Plant has received a commendation certificate in August 2018 for State Level Award for Industrial Safety and Health.
- The Yerraguntla Plant was granted licence for the Quality Management Systems Certification in accordance with IS/ISO 9001:2015 and the Environmental Management Systems Certification in accordance with IS/ISO 14001-2015, by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- The R & D unit at Dalavoi Plant also got the renewal for recognition of its in-house R&D by the Government of India, Ministry of Science and Technology for a further period of 3 years.
- The Company’s Sankarnagar works participated in the Quality Circle Forum of India- Madurai Chapter in the competition on “Best Practicesin SMED Poka Yoke” concepts and won 3 gold awards in the field of mines, electrical and captive power plant. In the competition, 23 teams representing various organization participated.
- The Company’s Chennai Grinding Unit was granted ISO 45001:2018 for Occupational Health and Safety Management Certification and Quality Management System Upgradation Certification of ISO 9001:2015.
- The Company’s Dalavoi works was granted Quality Management System Certificate ISO 50001:2018 by TUV NORD in March 2020 valid for a period of three years.
- 1946: Incorporation of The India Cements Limited.
- 1949: Commissioning of first Cement plant at Sankarnagar-Installed capacity 1 lac tonnes per annum.
- 1963: Commissioning of second Cement plant at Sankaridrug-Installed capacity 2 lac tonnes per annum.
- 1969: Capacity expansion at Sankarnagar touches 9 lac tonnes per annum. Awarded Merit Certification for Outstanding Export Performance (1968-1969).
- 1971: Capacity Expansion at Sankari Durg to 6.00 Lakh tonnes per annum.
- 1990: Acquisition of Coromandel Cement plant at Cuddapah-Installed Capacity rises to 2.6 million tonnes per annum. The India Cements Ltd. becomes the largest producer of Cement in South India. Conversion of Sankarnagar Plant to Dry Process with the increased capacity of 1.00 million tonnes per annum.
- 1991: India Cements ventures into Shipping. Sets up a Shipping Division.
- 1994: ISO 9002 Certification for Sankarnagar plant. Floats successfully US$ 50 million GDR issue.
- 1995: Announces issue of 1:1 Bonus shares.
- 1996: India Cements' green field cement plant at Dalavoi commences commercial production. Installed capacity 0.9 million tonnes per annum.
- 1997: India cements acquires Aruna Sugars Finance Ltd.Renamed as India Cements Capital & Finance. India Cements acquires Cement Plant of Visaka Cement Industry, at Tandur, Ranga Reddy district of Andhra Pradesh. Installed capacity 0.9 Million Tonnes.
- 1998: India Cements acquires Cement Corporation of India's Yerraguntla Cement Plant at Andhra Pradesh. Installed capacity 0.4 Million Tonnes. India cements acquires Raasi Cement Ltd., at Nalgonda District of Andhra Pradesh.Installed capacity 1.8 million tonnes.
- 1999: India Cements acquires Cement Plant of Shri Vishnu Cement Ltd., at Nalgonda District of Andhra Pradesh. Installed capacity 1.0 Million Tonnes. Turnover sails over the Rs. 1000 crore mark.
- 2001: India Cements divests its stake in Sri Vishnu Cement Limited. Group's overall capacity reaches 9 million tonnes.
- 2004: The Unique Waste Heat Recovery System for generation of power from waste gas at Vishnupuram Cement Plant was commissioned during November 2004, for a capacity of 7.7 MW of power. The company through its Special Purpose vehicle M/s Coromandel Electric Co Ltd has commissioned a (gas based) captive power plant at Ramanathapuram for a capacity of 17.4 MW and the same has started supplying power from the month of November 2004.
- 2005: The Company has successfully completed an equity issue in the international market during October 2005 by issuing 25,613,796 Global Depositary Shares (GDSs) at USD 4.3226 per GDS, (each GDS representing 2 underlying equity shares of Rs 10 each) and raised an amount of Rs 497 crore including a premium of Rs 446 crore.
- 2006: The Company has issued unsecured Zero Coupon Convertible Bonds due 2011 (FCCBs) for $75 Million to investors outside India at an initial conversion price of Rs.305.57 per share.
- 2007: The Hon'ble High Court of Judicature at Madras vide its order dated 25th July 2007 sanctioned the Scheme of amalgamation of Visaka Cement Industry Limited with The India Cements. The Company has converted the Sankari plant from wet process to dry process and commissioned the plant. The Company has privately placed 2,07,89,000 equity shares at a price of Rs.285/- per share (including premium of Rs.275/- per share) by way of Qualified Institutional Placement in December 2007.
- 2008: The Company has revived its shipping business with the purchase of two ships (dry bulk carriers) with a total capacity of 79843 DWT. The Company has successfully bid for the Chennai franchise of the DLF-IPL 20/20 Cricket Tournament - ‘Chennai Super Kings’. The Company has completed and commenced commercial production of one million tonne grinding plant at Chennai.
- 2009: The Company has completed and commenced commercial production of one million tonne grinding plant at Parli (Maharashtra). The Company’s subsidiary, namely, Trishul Concrete Products has completed and commenced commercial production of one lakh Cu.M ready mix concrete Plant at Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh). The II line of 1.2 MT at Malkapur was commenced operations from March 2009. The upgraded capacity of kiln I to 3000 TPD (1700 TPD) at Vishnupuram started functioning from April 2009.
- 2010: ICL Financial Services Limited (ICLFSL), the Company’s wholly owned subsidiary, acquired 60.89% (including shares acquired under open offer) of equity share capital of Indo Zinc Limited (IZL). Consequently, IZL became a subsidiary of ICLFSL and ultimate subsidiary of the Company in January, 2010. The Corporate office of the company was shifted in February, 2010 to its own building ‘Coromandel Towers’ at 93, Santhome High Road, Karpagam Avenue, MRC Nagar, Chennai 600 028. The Company privately placed in March, 2010 2,45,94,000 equity shares at a price of Rs.120.20 per share (including premium of Rs.110.20 per share) to Qualified Institutional Buyers. The Company’s cricket franchise ‘Chennai Super Kings’ has won IPL III Trophy in April 2010.
- 2014: The Board of Directors of the Company approved a scheme of amalgamation of Trinetra Cement Limited, a listed company and Trishul Concrete Products Limited, an unlisted company,
- 2016: India Cements introduces new cement variant.
- 2017: IS\ISO 14001:2015 Certification for Environment Management Systems, IS\ISO 9001: 2015 Certification for Quality Management System and IS 18001:2007 Certification for Occupational Health Management System for Banswara Plant.
- 2017: Best Management Award from AP Government for Chilamkur Plant for congenial and cordial industrial relations and for the extraordinary efforts for the welfare of labour and CSR activities
- 2018: A Special Coffee Table Book released on 28.12.2018 to celebrate the seven decades of growth Journey of Company and 50 years of proud association of Vice-Chairman & Managing Director with Company.
- 2018: ISO 50001 Certification for Energy Management System for Banswara Plant.
- 2018: IS/ISO 45001:2018 Certification by BIS for Occupational Health and Safety System for Dalavoi Plant.
- 2018: Certificate of Merit awarded by the Ministry of Labour & Employment Coimbatore for Sankari Plant for implementing change management effectively.
- 2018: BIS Licence for the Quality Management System Certification in accordance with IS\ISO:2015 for Sankarnagar Plant.
- 2018: BIS Licence for the Quality Management Systems Certification in accordance with ISO 9001:2015 for Parli Grinding Unit.
- 2018-19: The company has taken steps for putting an additional grinding unit at Khandwa in Madhya Pradesh with a capacity of around 1.50 Million tons and the surplus clinker from its existing plants will be diverted to this Unit.
- 2019-20: The company has got in-principle approvals for capacity upgrades at its Dalavoi and Sankari plants. The expansion plan will be taken up at appropriate time based on demand supply improvement in the region.
|Parent Organization||The India Cements Ltd.||Managing Director||N Srinivasan|