About the Company
The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL) and its subsidiaries bring together a group of brands and businesses that offer a fusion of warm Indian hospitality and world-class service. These include Taj - the hallmark of iconic hospitality, SeleQtions, a named collection of hotels, Vivanta, sophisticated upscale hotels and Ginger which is revolutionizing the lean luxe segment. Incorporated by the founder of the Tata Group, Jamsetji Tata, the Company opened its first hotel - The Taj Mahal Palace, in Bombay in 1903. IHCL has a portfolio of many hotels including under development globally across continents, countries and in many locations. The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL) is South Asia’s largest hospitality company by market capitalization. It is primarily listed on the BSE and NSE.
Business area of the company
The company is South Asia’s largest hospitality focussed enterprise with true Indian origins.
- Food & Beverages
- Taj Holidays
- Taj Experiences Gift Card
- Ethical Boardroom Corporate Governance Awards 2019
- Global Hospitality Icon of the Year Award at the Patwa International Travel Awards
- Golden Peacock Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance 2019
- CONDE Nast Traveller Readers’ Choice Awards 2019 - UK and US
- CONDE Nast Traveller Gold List 2020
- CONDE Nast Traveller India Readers’ Choice Awards 2019
- 1899: The Indian Hotels Company Limited is incorporated.
- 1903: Launched the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai, India.
- 1970: Takes over management of Taj lake Palace, Udaipur and Rambagh Palace, Jaipur.
- 1974: launches Fort Aguada, The first five-star deluxe beach resort in Goa.
- 1974: launches Taj Coromandal in Chennai.
- 1979: Forays into Africa with Taj Pamodzi Lusaka, Zambia.
- 1982: Acquires the ST. James’ court in London.
- 1982: The Taj Palace, New Delhi, is opened for the Asian Games.
- 1998: Opens Taj Exotic in Bentota, Sri Lanka.
- 2000: Established Taj GVK Hotels and Resorts Limited in Hyderabad.
- 2001: Launches Taj Exotica Resort and Spa in Maldives.
- 2004: Launches Taj Wellington Mews Luxury Residency, Mumbai.
- 2005: Forays into New York, US, with a management contract to operate the Pierre.
- 2005: Restores Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur.
- 2007: Acquires Ritz-Carlton in Boston, US, later rename the Taj Boston.
- 2007: Launches Taj Campton place in San Francisco.
- 2008: Launches The Gateway Hotels and Resorts.
- 2008: South-West coastal Indian restaurants Quilon in London receives a Michelin- Star.
- 2010: launches new brand Vivanta by Taj.
- 2010: Celeberates the reopening of the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai after the terrorist attracts of 2008.
- 2012: Launches a free two-year hospitality trade training programme for youth from below poverty line (BPL) families.
- 2014: Rebrands and repositions Taj 51 Buckingham Gate suites & residency and ST. James’ Court, A Taj Hotel, London under the luxury brand.
- 2015: Redesigns the award-winning programme, Taj innercircle announces the opening of Taj Duabi, Unveils ‘Tajness’.
- 2017: IHCL restructures its brand architectures.
- 2018: Unveils ‘Aspiration 2020’
- 2018: Taj exotica resorts & spa, Andaman, a luxury resort offering, commences operation in February.
|Parent Organization||The Indian Hotels Company Ltd.||Managing Director||Puneet Chhatwal|