|Market Cap||1,07,433 Cr||EPS||43.2||High||1637.85|
|Stock P/E||37.8||Net Profit Margin||15.6||Low||1611.1|
Grasim Industries Price chart
|Market Cap||1,07,433 Cr||ROE||14.7%|
|P/B Ratio||2.2||Dividend Yield||0.6%|
|Industry P/E||40.3||Book Value||739.8|
About the Company
Grasim Industries Ltd., a flagship company of Aditya Birla Group, ranks amongst the top publicly listed companies in India. Incorporated in 1947, it started as a textiles manufacturer in India. Today, it has evolved into a leading diversified player with leadership presence across many sectors. It is a leading global producer of Viscose Staple Fibre, the largest Chlor-Alkali, Linen and Insulators player in India. Through its subsidiaries, UltraTech Cement and Aditya Birla Capital, it is also India’s largest cement producer and a leading diversified financial services player.
Business area of the company
- Viscose staple fibre - Grasim is India's pioneer in viscose staple fibre (VSF), a man-made, biodegradable fibre with characteristics akin to cotton. An extremely versatile and easily blendable fibre, VSF is widely used in apparels, home textiles, dress material, knitted wear and non-woven applications.
- Viscose Filament Yarn - Grasim is one of India’s major Viscose Filament Yarn (VFY) player. Also known as rayon, VFY is a natural fibre which can be made to resemble silk, cotton and wool in its feel and texture. Known for its versatility, VFY has superior drape, fluidity and lustre which makes it a popular choice for manufacturing fabrics such as georgettes, crepes and chiffons.
- Chemicals - in 1972, Grasim’s chemicals business was set up to manufacture caustic soda for the company’s VSF unit. Currently, it is one of India’s largest caustic soda producers and is a market leader in the chlor-alkali segment. Over the years, Grasim’s chemicals business has created a strong foothold in the industry and offers a wide range of products from chlorine derivatives to epoxy.
- Textiles - Grasim ventured into the textiles industry in 1949 by setting up Jaya Shree Textiles at Rishra, West Bengal. Currently, Jaya Shree Textiles is one of India’s leading linen and wool manufacturers. It has four strategic business units (SBUs) i.e., linen spinning, linen fabric, wool combing and worsted spinning. All four SBUs are driven by the common goal of making the workplace a source of creativity, innovation, and self-fulfilment for all employees.
- Fertilisers - Grasim’s fertiliser division, Indo Gulf Fertilisers (IGF) is a leading agri-solutions provider. From sowing to harvesting, it develops solutions and products for each stage of farming. Marketed under the name ‘Birla Shaktiman’, the brand is one of the most popular fertiliser brands in the Indo-Gangetic plain, the core market where it operates.
- Insulators - Aditya Birla Insulators is India’s largest manufacturer of electrical insulators and is amongst the top four insulator manufacturers globally. It produces the widest range of insulators in India including insulators for transmission lines & substations up to 1200 kV voltage level, as well as equipment & railways.
- Rajiv Gandhi National Quality award.
- Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar for fair business practices.
- The Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality award in 1998.
- First in India to be certified ISO 9001:2000, by DNV, The Netherlands (2001).
- IMC Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality award (certificates of merit).
- Best productivity award by the National Productivity Council.
- National energy conservation award by Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- IQRS level 6 rating from DNV, The Netherlands.
- Best energy efficient unit award by CII.
- National award for 'Quality excellence in the Indian Cement Industry' from the National Council for Cement and Building Materials.
- TPM Excellence award, first category, by JIPM, Tokyo.
- Birla Super Cement received the Environment Excellence Award under the silver category by GreenTech Foundation.
- Birla Super Cement certified with the OHSAS 18001:1999 for their occupational health and safety management system by Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
- Aditya Limestone Mines wins the following awards at the Mines Safety Week 2004, Udaipur.
- Grasim, Nagda received the FICCI Annual Award 2003-2004 in recognition of corporate initiative in rural development.
- Environmental and Ecological Gold Award by Greenland Society.
- Golden Peacock Eco-Innovation Award by IOD.
- Safety awards for longest accident-free period (Membrane Cell) and lowest average frequency rate (CSA plant) by the Government of India.
- Social Awareness Award won by Aditya Cement.
- TERI CSR Award presented to Aditya Cement.
- CII National Energy Management Award for the most energy efficient unit.
- Greentech Environmental Excellence Award by Greentech Foundation.
- Distinguished Achiever Award to Mr. Ravi Uppal from the Aditya Birla Group.
- Young Achiever Award to Mr. Rakesh Jha from the Aditya Birla Group.
- IMC Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality Special Award for performance excellence 2007 in the manufacturing category.
- TERI CSR Award presented to Vikram Cement.
- The first cement unit in India to be certified ISO 14001 (1997) and OHSA 18001 (certifications from DNV, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, in 2001)
- Social Awareness Award won by Vikram Cement.
- Best performance in terms of Energy Saving under PAT cycle 1 in Chlor Alkali Sector in December 17 - Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Govt. of India, Ministry of Power.
- SA 8000 certification achieved.
- FAI Award: Improvement in Overall Performance of company for the year FY2016-17 by Fertilizer Association of India (FAI).
- Award for Best Export Performance in the Category of Viscose Staple Fibre (Gold Trophy) 2018 conferred by textile minister Ms. Smriti Irani at SRTEPC.
- CSR - ET NOW Award for Community Development (Rishra) in 2018.
- Award for Best Export Performance in the Category of Viscose Staple Fibre (Gold Trophy) 2018.
- Ranked 2nd for Best Corporate Governance Practices in Asia-Pacific by IR Global Rankings. Also, ranked best company in corporate governance practices in basic materials industry, globally.
- Grasim wins ‘Best Manufacturing Company (>Rs 2,500 crore) category’ at Business Today’s Business Leaders of Madhya Pradesh Awards 2019.
- Grasim has bagged the Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Award 2019 as the Top Company for its stellar performance in the Indian Textiles sector.
- Grasim Industries ranked 9th among the top 10 Indian corporates for its Sustainability and CSR practices by the ET and Futurescape 7th Responsible Business Rankings 2020.
- Grasim Industries, Grasilene Division, Harihar, has been bestowed with the CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019 for Excellence in Environment Management.
- Grasim Industries Limited (Staple Fibre Division- Nagda) wins the prestigious Golden Peacock Award for CSR in the Textile and Apparel sector for the year 2019.
- 1950 - Production of fabrics at Gwalior with imported man-made rayon.
- 1954 - VSF production commences at Nagda (Madhya Pradesh).
- 1962 - Inception of Engineering Division for plant and machinery for VSF.
- 1963 - Composite textile mill at Bhiwani (Haryana).
- 1968 - Rayon production commences at Mavoor, Kerala.
- 1972 - VSF and Pulp plant at Harihar (Karnataka) based on in-house engineering and know-how. Nagda commences production of rayon grade caustic soda - for VSF production.
- 1977 - Grasim's third rayon plant - at Harihar, Karnataka - goes into production.
- 1985 - Vikram Cement - Grasim's first cement plant goes on stream at Jawad (Madhya Pradesh).
- 1987 - Vikram Cement's second production line is commissioned.
- 1991 - A third production line is added at Vikram Cement.
- 1992 - Grasim sets up Birla International Marketing Corporation (BIMC), a merchant exporter.
- 1993 - Vikram Ispat, India's third largest gas-based sponge iron plant is commissioned. Birla Consultancy & Software Services is set up, to provide IT consulting services and for software development.
- 1995 - Grasim commissions two Greenfield cement plants - Grasim Cement at Rawan (Chattisgarh) and Aditya Cement at Shambhupura (Rajasthan). Vikram Woollens, spinning unit at Malanpur (Madhya Pradesh) set up.
- 1996 - The first phase of Grasim's fourth VSF plant is commissioned at Kharach (Gujarat).
- 1999 - Grasim's viscose staple fibre (VSF) and rayon grade pulp units at Mavoor are closed down owing to lack of raw material.
- 2000 - The Lawson Competency Centre is set up as a division of Birla Consultancy & Software Services, the software arm of Grasim, following a tie up with Lawson Software (USA), among Fortune's top five private software companies.
- 2001 - Four Ready-Mix Concrete plants commissioned with an aggregate capacity of one million cubic meters.
- 2002 - VSF Research & Application Centre set up at Kharach in Gujarat.
- 2007 - Eighteen ready-mix concrete plants commissioned.
- 2009 - Grasim hives off its sponge iron business by way of slump sale. Grasim commissions a greenfield cement plant at Kotputli (Rajasthan).Vikram Cement and Aditya Cement win the Federation of Indian Mineral and Industries' 'Social Awareness Award for the year 2008-09'.
- 2010 - Consolidation of the cement business under UltraTech Cement Limited.
- 2011 - Acquired Domsjo Fabriker AB (Domsjo), Sweden, in a joint venture with Group Companies.
- 2012 - Acquired assets of Terrace Bay, a paper grade mill, in a JV with Group company Thai Rayon, in July 2012.
- 2013 - Caustic soda and Epoxy plant commissioned at Vilayat.
- 2014 - Grasim’s state-of-the-art Viscose Staple Fibre plant is commissioned at Vilayat, Gujarat.
- 2015 - Grasim Industries has submitted a copy of the Presentation on Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) Limited to Merge with Grasim. Grasim Industries has completed the last phase of its Greenfield Viscose Staple Fibre (VSF) Plant at Vilayat (Gujarat) for production of Specialty Fibre, by commissioning the 4th line. Grasim Industries has received Competition Commission of India (CCI) approval on marger of Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) with Grasim Industries. The Scheme of Amalgamation of Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) with Grasim Industries has sanctioned by the Hon'ble High Court of Madhya Pradesh.
- 2016 - Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) merged with Grasim Industries.
- 2017 - Grasim Industries Limited - Vilayat Unit wins 4th CSR Impact Award as ‘Company with the Best CSR Impacts 2016-17’ for the projects Aajeevika project, BalSanskar project and ‘Tandrusti Aapna Hath Ma’ at India CSR Summit - Gurugram (NCR). Merger of Aditya Birla Nuvo with Grasim.
- 2018 - Grasim Industry has been ranked 205 in the list of ‘Global 2000 - Growth Champions 2018’ by Forbes Magazine USA.
- 2019 - Grasim Industry signed a definitive agreement to acquire 100% equity shareholding of soktas India Private Limited from Its current Promoters, for an enterprise value of Rs 165 crore.
- 2020 - Grasim commissioned the third generation 16 KTPA specially fibre plant using in-house green technology at Kharach, Gujarat.
|Parent Organization||Grasim Industries Ltd.||Managing Director||Harikrishna Agarwal|
All values are in Rs Cr
|Company||52 Week||Market Price||P/E Ratio||Financials||Share Holding|