About the Company
EIH Limited, under the aegis of The Oberoi Group, operates hotels and cruisers in five countries under the luxury 'Oberoi' and five-star 'Trident' brands. The Group is also engaged in flight catering, airport restaurants, travel and tour services, car rentals, project management and corporate air charters.
Oberoi Hotels & Resorts is synonymous the world over with providing the right blend of service, luxury and quiet efficiency. Internationally acclaimed for all-round excellence and unparalleled levels of service, Oberoi hotels and resorts have received innumerable awards and accolades. The last decade has witnessed the debut of new luxury Oberoi leisure hotels in India and abroad.
Trident hotels are five-star hotels that have established a reputation for excellence and are acknowledged for offering quality and value. These hotels combine state of the art facilities with dependable service in a caring environment, presenting the ideal choice for business and leisure travellers.
The Group's commitment to excellence, attention to detail and personalised service has ensured a loyal list of guests and accolades in the worldwide hospitality industry.
Business area of the company
The company is primarily engaged in owning and managing premium luxury hotels and cruisers under the luxury ‘Oberoi’ and ‘Trident’ brands. The Company is also engaged in flight catering, airport restaurants, project management and corporate air charters.
Awards and recognitions
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts was voted the World’s Best Hotel Brand for the second consecutive year in the Travel + Leisure, World’s Best Awards Readers’ Survey, 2016.
- The Oberoi Group was voted the best Hotel Group (India) in the Travel + Leisure, India and South Asia, India’s Best Awards, 2016.
- Mr. P.R.S. Oberoi, Executive Chairman, The Oberoi Group was conferred with the ET Bengal Visionary Award by The Economic Times Bengal Corporate Awards, 2016.
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts has been voted as the World’s Leading Luxury Hotel Brand for the sixth consecutive year by World Travel Awards, 2017.
- Oberoi Hotels and Resorts was voted as the World’s Leading Luxury Hotel brand for the sixth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards, 2017.
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts has won Best Business Hotel Brand in India by Business Traveller UK Reader Awards, 2018.
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts has been voted the Best Hotel Group for the third consecutive year by Telegraph Travel Awards, UK - 2019, 2018 and 2017.
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts was voted Best Indian Hotel Group in the Travel + Leisure, India & South Asia India’s Best Awards, 2019.
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts was voted the Best Luxury Hotel Brand by Business Traveller UK Awards, 2019
- Oberoi Hotels & Resorts was ranked second amongst the Best Hotel Brand in the World by Travel + Leisure, US, World’s Best Awards, 2019.
History and Milestones
- 1949: The Company was promoted and incorporated by Rai Bahadur Mohan Singh Oberoi and Oberoi Hotels (India) Limited in May, 1949.
- 1956: The Equity shares of the Company were first listed on the BSE.
- 1956: Took the Maharaja’s palace in Srinagar, Kashmir on lease and converted it into the Oberoi Palace Hotel.
- 1957: Started the flight service business.
- 1965: Commenced operations at The Oberoi Hotel, New Delhi.
- 1968: By a scheme of merger approved by the Calcutta High Court, The Associated Hotels of India Limited and Hotels (1938) Private Limited merged into the Company. By virtue of the merger, the Company acquired The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata, Maidens Hotel, Delhi, The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla,
- 1973: Commenced operations at The Oberoi Towers, Mumbai.
- 1974: Established a printing press in Delhi primarily for the Company’s in-house needs.
- 1979: Bonus issues of 1,337,745 new Equity shares of the Company of Rs. 10 each in the ratio of one new Equity share for every five equity shares held by the shareholders.
- 1984: Bonus issues of 4,953,131 new Equity shares of the Company of Rs. 10 each in the ratio of two new Equity shares for every five equity shares held by the shareholders.
- 1986: Made a foray into the airport service business by entering into a ten year contract with the International Airport’s Authority to operate all the snack bars and restaurants at the domestic and international terminals in Mumbai.
- 1992: Bonus issues of 4,720,704 new Equity shares of the Company of Rs. 10 each in the ratio of one new Equity share for every five equity shares held by the shareholders.
- 1993: Joint venture agreement between EIH and Kerala Government to promote Oberoi Kerala Hotels and Resorts Ltd. The JV is 80:20. 80% shareholding by EIH and 20% by Kerala Government thru Tourist Resort Kerala Ltd, a subsidiary of KTDC. As on date no business in the Company.
- 1994: Listing of GDRs on the London Stock Exchange.
- 1995: Joint venture with Himachal Pradesh Government for Promoting Mashobra Resort Ltd (Hotel Wild flower hall) Shimla. EIH’s holding in Mahobra Resort Ltd as on date is 78.79%.
- 1996: Change of name of the Company from The East India Hotels Limited to EIH Limited.
- 1996: Bonus issues of 17,464,299 new Equity shares of the Company of Rs. 10 each in the ratio of one new Equity share for every two equity shares held by the shareholders.
- 1997: Commenced operations at The Oberoi Rajvilas in Jaipur, our first luxury leisure hotel in India.
- 1997: Joint Venture with Goyals and Bhasins for promoting Mumtaz Hotels Ltd (The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra) in which EIH holds 60% and Goyals and Bhasins together hold the balance 40%.
- 2004: The Company entered into a strategic alliance for international marketing with Hilton International. All the Trident hotels were re-branded as “Trident Hilton”, and The Oberoi Towers in Mumbai was re-branded as Hilton Towers.
- 2006: Sub-division of the face value of equity shares from Rs. 10 to Equity shares of Rs. 2.
- 2006: Bonus issues of 130,984,657 new Equity shares of the Company of Rs. 2 each in the ratio of one new Equity share for every two equity shares held by the shareholders.
- 2006: The Company acquired 66.67% equity stake in Mercury Car Rentals Limited, a joint venture with AVIS Europe for car rental business.
- 2006: The printing press established by the Company in 1974 was granted permission by the Indian Banks’ Association to print security stationery for banks.
- 2008: The alliance with Hilton International ended and “Trident Hilton and the Hilton Towers hotels were renamed “Trident” hotels.
- 2008: Establishment of EIH Flight Services Limited, Mauritius as a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company.
- 2008: Terrorist attack at the Trident, Nariman Point and The Oberoi, Mumbai in November, 2008 resulting in interruption in business and closure of both the hotels.
- 2008: The Trident Mumbai reopened on 21st December, 2008 after the terrorist attack.
- 2009: Trident hotel at Bandra Kurla Complex in Mumbai commenced its operation.
- 2009: Entered into a joint venture agreement with 16% equity interest in Golden Jubilee Hotels Limited for the proposed Trident hotel in Hyderabad.
- 2010: The Oberoi, Mumbai reopens after full renovation subsequent to terrorist attacks in 2008.
- 2010: EIH International Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company completed an acquisition of approximately 46% of the equity interest in its international hotels joint venture company EIH Holdings Limited. Pursuant to this acquisition, EIH Holdings Limited is now a wholly owned subsidiary of EIH International Limited.
- 2011: Rights Issue of 178,615,442 equity shares of face value Rs 2/- at a price of Rs.66 per share for an aggregate amount of Rs. 11788.62 million in the ratio of 5 equity share for every 11 fully paid equity share (5:11) for repayment of debt, construction and commissioning of flight kitchen at New Delhi and General Corporate Purposes.
- 2011: The Oberoi Gurgaon and Trident Gurgaon (Managed Properties) opened.
- 2012: Renovation/construction of flight catering operation (flight kitchen) in New Delhi with state of the art equipment having capacity to cater 18,000 meals per day completed.
- 2013: The Company reduced its equity stake to 40% in Mercury Car Rentals Limited (now Mercury Car Rentals Private Limited).
- 2013: Trident Hyderabad opened.
- 2015: New Flight catering facility operationalized in Kolkata with the state of the art equipment to maintain international hygiene standards having capacity to cater 3,500 meals per day.
- 2016: The Oberoi Sukhvilas Resort & Spa, Near Chandigarh (a Managed Property) opened.
- 2017: GDRs were delisted from the London Stock Exchange.
- 2018: The Oberoi at New Delhi, an iconic Delhi property, reopened ahead of schedule in January (in 21 months period) post major renovation directed by designer Adam. D. Tihany.
- 2018: The Company increased its stake in equity to 25.10 % in Mercury Travels Limited, engaged in business of various travel services including business travel management, meetings, conferences and incentives, foreign exchange services, outbound holidays, Indian holidays and travel insurance.
- 2018: Investment by Company through its WOS - EIH International Ltd which holds 47.93% in La. Roseraie De Atlas (Marrakech Project) in Marrakech.
- 2018: EIH sold its entire equity holding of 25.10% in Mercury Travels Ltd to Ebix, USA. Mercury Travels Ltd ceased to be an associate of EIH.
- 2018: EIH took/ invested 25.10% shares in U Smart Education Ltd, a WOS of Mercury Travels Ltd, as part of sale of shares in Mercury Travels Ltd.
- 2019: the Company initiated major process improvement initiatives through “The Oberoi Centre of Excellence” (TOCE). The centre commenced operations on 01st October 2019 with the broad objective of introducing contemporary IT-enabled processes, modifying various processes across the organization to enhance efficiency, eliminating manpower redundancy, promoting scalability and achieving economies of scale.
|Parent Organization||EIH Ltd.||Managing Director||Vikramjit Singh Oberoi|