About the Company
Coffee Day Enterprises is the parent company of the Coffee Day Group, which houses Cafe Coffee Day that pioneered the coffee culture in the chained cafe segment in India. The company opened its first Cafe Coffee Day outlet in Bengaluru in 1996 and has established the largest footprint of cafe outlets in India as of December 31, 2014, with a network of 1,538 cafe outlets spread across 219 cities, including under the established and recognized brand name “Cafe Coffee Day” (popularly referred to as “CCD”).
Business area of the company
Coffee Business: The company is engaged in coffee business through its subsidiary, Coffee Day Global (earlier known as Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company) (CDGL) and its subsidiaries. The company is also engaged in coffee trading through CDEL and Coffee Day Trading. In addition to having the largest chain of cafes in India, the company operates a highly optimized and vertically integrated coffee business which ranges from procuring, processing and roasting of coffee beans to retailing of coffee products across various formats.
Technology Parks: The company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Tanglin Development (TDL), is engaged in the development and management of technology parks and related infrastructure, offering bespoke infrastructure facilities for ITITES enterprises. TDL has two technology parks, namely Global Village situated in Bengaluru, Karnataka with a land parcel spread over an area of approximately 114 acres (of which approximately 91 acres has clear land titles and Tech Bay situated in Mangaluru, Karnataka with a land parcel spread over an area of approximately 21 acres.
Logistics: The company’s subsidiary, Sical Logistics (SLL), in which the company holds a 52.83% equity holding, is one of the leading integrated logistics solution providers in India with over five decades of experience. SLL is listed on the BSE and NSE.
Financial Services: The company’s subsidiary, Way2Wealth Securities, in which it holds a 85.53% equity holding, is a retail focused investment advisory company which provides wealth management, broking, portfolio management and investment advisory services.
Hospitality: The company owns and operates three luxury boutique resorts (one directly through the company, and two through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Coffee Day Hotels & Resorts (CDHRPL), under the brand The Serai. The company’s resorts are located in the State of Karnataka at Chikkmagaluru, Bandipur and Kabini. In addition, the company also holds a minority interest in and manage a luxury resort located in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Investments: The company have investments in certain IT-ITES and other technology companies such as Mindtree in which it owns a 16.75% equity holding.
Major events and milestones
- 1993: Incorporation of CDGL (formerly known as Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company) to start cafe business.
- 1995: CDGL launched the brand “Coffee Day” through “Fresh & Ground” retail stores for providing fresh and branded coffee beans and powder.
- 2000: Launched the financial advisory and services firm, Way2Wealth by taking over the retail financial services operations of Sivan Securities.
- 2000: Investment in Mindtree through CDTL, currently its subsidiary.
- 2005: CDGL launched its first international cafe in Vienna through its Subsidiary, CDCZ in Austria.
- 2006: TDL, launched an SEZ “Global Village” in Bengaluru.
- 2006: Launched a hospitality venture through, CDHRPL, currently its subsidiary, under the brand name “The Serai” in Chikkamagaluru, Karnataka.
- 2008: The company commenced operations as a partnership firm under the name of Coffeeday Holding Co.
- 2010: Investment by KKR, Standard Chartered and NLS in the company.
- 2011: Acquisition of SLL through its subsidiary TDL.
- 2014: Coffee Day Resorts was changed to Coffee Day Enterprises on August 6, 2014. The Company was converted into a public limited company consequent to a special resolution passed by the Shareholders at the EGM held on January 17, 2015 and the name of the Company was changed to Coffee Day Enterprises. A fresh certificate of incorporation consequent upon conversion to public limited company was issued by the RoC on January 21, 2015.
Awards and Accreditations
- 2007: Cafe Coffee Day won the Times Food Award under the category of “Best Coffee Bar” from Times of India.
- 2008: Cafe Coffee Day won the Burrper’s Choice Award for being voted as the “Coolest Cafe” by users of burrp.com.
- 2009: CDGL won the award for “Retailer of the Year” under the category of Food & Beverages (catering services) by Asia Retail Congress 2009.
- 2011: Cafe Coffee Day won the Indian Hospitality Excellence Award under the category of “India’s Most Popular Coffee Joint: 2010”.
- 2012: Cafe Coffee Day was ranked as 26th Most Trusted Service Brand in India and as 2nd Most Exciting Brand under the category of “Food Services” in India under a survey done by Brand Equity (Economic Times).
- 2012: Cafe Coffee Day won the Best Coffee Bar Award from mouthshut.com.
- 2013: Cafe Coffee Day was ranked as 26th Most Trusted Service Brand in India under a survey done by Brand Equity (Economic Times).
- 2013: Cafe Coffee Day was awarded “The NCPEDP – Shell Helen Keller Award 2013” by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People for being a role model company in helping to generate employment opportunities for person with disabilities.
- 2013: CDGL was awarded as the Best Retailer under the category of “Best Customer Service in Cafe Restaurant” by Star Retailer Awards 2013.
- 2013: Cafe Coffee Day won the Brand Excellence Award in retail sector from ABP news.
- 2014: CDGL was awarded bronze prize by the Coffee Board of India for being the third best exporter of green coffee during 2012-13.
- 2014: CDGL was awarded “Retailer of the Year” (Organisation Food and Grocery) for retail excellence by ABP News.
- 2014: CDGL was awarded ‘Retailer of the Year’ for brand excellence by ABP News.
- 2014: Cafe Coffee Day was ranked as 22nd Most Trusted Service Brand in India, as 27th Most Exciting Brand in India and as 2nd Most Exciting Brand under the category of “Food Services” in India, under a survey done by Brand Equity (Economic Times).
- 2014: The company’s Promoter was awarded with ‘ET Retail Hall of Fame’ for his contribution to the growth in retail sector.
- Coffee Day Global was awarded “Retailer of the Year” (Organisation Food and Grocery) for retail excellence by ABP News in 2014.
- Coffee Day Global was awarded ‘Retailer of the Year’ for brand excellence by ABP News in 2014
- Café Coffee Day was ranked as 22nd Most Trusted Service Brand in India, as 27th Most Exciting Brand in India and as 2nd Most Exciting Brand under the category of “Food Services” in India, under a survey done by Brand Equity (Economic Times) in 2014.'
|Parent Organization||Coffee Day Enterprises Ltd.||Managing Director|