About the Company
Bayer CropScience is the flagship company of the Bayer Group in India and is publicly listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange. It is engaged in manufacturing of crop protection products, non agricultural pest-control, seeds and plant biotechnology. The company enjoys a unique position in the market because of its capability to offer new innovative products, technologies, processes, services and business models. With its innovative products, it is contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of its time. The company remains committed to improving lives by advancing nutrition and healthcare solutions for the country’s growing population.
Business area of the company
The company’s Crop Science division is the largest for Bayer in India with businesses in seeds & traits, crop protection, digital farming and environmental science (non-agricultural pest control). Its robust crop protection portfolio includes products to manage insects, pests, weeds and diseases. It also includes bilogical solutions, that use nature’s own defenses to protect crops. Its broad range of high-quality hybrid seeds includes cutting-edge traits for high-yielding crops with improved weed management and superior insect control. Its expertise and innovations in digital farming provide farmers with a deeper understanding of their fields so they can utilize their inputs and natural resources as efficiently as possible. The company also has products that focus on non-agricultural applications in the form of products and services for vector control and professional pest control.
The company’s Pharmaceuticals division in India operates as Bayer Zydus Pharma, a joint venture between Bayer and Zydus Cadila. The focus of this business is on prescription products, especially for cardiology and women’s health care and on specialty therapeutics in the areas of oncology, hematology and ophthalmology. The division also comprises the radiology business, which markets diagnostic imaging equipment together with the necessary contrast agents. Its Consumer Health division is focused on making self-care for a better life a reality for billions of people around the world through everyday healthcare. Its Animal Health business develops and markets products and solutions for the prevention and treatment of diseases in companion and farm animals.
- Bayer India wins ‘Aon Best Employer in India 2017’ award.
- Bayer India wins ‘Aon Best Employer in India 2018’ award.
- Bayer India wins the Mercer NDTV Employer Excellence Award 2018.
- Bayer India wins ‘Aon Best Employer in India 2019’ award for the third time in a row.
- Bayer received a 'Great Places to Work' certification.
- 1863: The company is founded on August 1, 1863 by dye salesman Friedrich Bayer and the master dyer Johann Friedrich Weskott in Wuppertal, Germany - a 19th century startup with tremendous potential.
- 1896: First wholly-owned subsidiary of Bayer in Asia ‘Farbenfabriken Bayer and Company Limited’ is set-up in Mumbai.
- 1958: Bayer CropScience Ltd. – the listed entity for Bayer in India - was incorporated on September 9, 1958.
- 1958: Bayer establishes Bayer Agrochem Private Limited in India.
- 1963: The name of Bayer Agrochem changes to Bayer (India) Limited.
- 1969: The company commences operations of a major plant in Thane.
- 2001: Bayer acquires Aventis CropScience.
- 2004: First Imidacloprid production facility outside Germany is inaugurated in Vapi.
- 2005: Lanxess AG is spun off from the Bayer Group.
- 2006: Takeover of Schering AG, Berlin, Germany.
- 2011: Bayer Zydus Pharma is set up as a 50:50 joint venture between Bayer HealthCare and Zydus Cadilla.
- 2013: The Seeds business unit (Bayer BioScience) of Bayer CropScience, India opens a multi-crop breeding station in Chandippa, near Hyderabad and a Mustard Breeding Station in Palwal, Haryana.
- 2014: New Headquarters of Bayer South Asia inaugurated at Thane.
- 2015: Bayer MaterialScience is now independent under the name Covestro.
- 2016: In September, Bayer and Monsanto sign a binding merger agreement.
- 2017: Bayer kicks off ‘LEAPS‘ globally as a new approach to complement the existing R&D capabilities and which aims to enable breakthrough innovations across healthcare and agriculture.
- 2018: Bayer concludes process to sell Covestro.
- 2019: Bayer completes Monsanto integration in India in September.
- 2019: A new plant is inaugurated at Bayer‘s Himatnagar site, strengthening company’s manufacturing footprint in Gujarat.
- 2020: FOGSI and Bayer Zydus Pharma collaborate to drive adoption of digital technology solution ‘Ask Tanu’.
- 2020: Bayer’s Aflibercept injection (EyleaTM) for intravitreal use receives DCGI Approval for Diabetic Macular Edema Indication.
- 2020: Bayer partners with ITC e-Choupal 4.0 to support farmers.
- 2020: Bayer and Curadev sign research collaboration and license agreement to develop novel STING antagonists across indications.
|Parent Organisation||Bayer CropScience Ltd.||Managing Director||Duraiswami Narain|