Sarda Energy & Minerals (SEML) was established in 1979 when the Sarda Group took over Raipur Alloys and Steel Limited (RASL).It is one of the lowest cost producers of steel (sponge iron, billets, ingots, TMT bars) and one of the largest manufacturers and exporters of ferro alloys in India. Headquartered in Raipur, Chhattisgarh, the company merged with Chhattisgarh Electricity Company Limited (CECL) in 2007 with a vision to becoming a leading energy and minerals company.
Over the last three decades the company has continuously diversified its product portfolio to include many customized value added products. The company firmly believes in benchmark product quality, customer centric approach, people focus, ethical business practices and good corporate citizenship. Building on these values, SEML has become the supplier of choice for many domestic and international customers across more than 60 countries.
SEML differentiates itself from its peers by not being just another steel company. It foresaw the importance and emergence of energy and minerals as two critical ingredients for developing economies and particularly for India. Synergy in Energy became the basis of all its future endeavors.
SEML is one of the very few companies to become completely self-sufficient in terms of its energy requirements and is well on its way to achieve self sufficiency in other mineral resources. The company has acquired iron ore, coal and manganese mines in India and is aggressively looking for mineral resources across the globe.
SEML is listed on the Bombay Stock exchange and is traded as SARDAEN.
Product range of the company includes:
- Sponge Iron (DRI)
- TMT Bars
- Ferro Alloys
- Sarda Energy & Minerals Hong Kong Limited (SEMHL) SEMHL was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of SEML in Hong Kong during 2007-08. The primary focus of the company would be to establish a strong international trading arm. China being a major manufacturing hub and an important destination of international trade, a representative office has also been set up in Beijing.
- Sarda Global Venture Pte Limited Another wholly owned subsidiary of SEML was established in Singapore during 2007-08 for business related acquisitions. The company will actively seek mineral resources acquisitions internationally.
- Parvatiya Power Private Limited Parvatiya Power was incorporated for implementation of hydro power plants. Presently, 4.8 MW Loharkhet Hydro Power Project has been installed and commissioned in February 2008. The Project is located near village Munar of Bageshwar district in the state of Uttaranchal. It is a run-of-the-river scheme for power generation by exploiting potential of Sarju River, a tributary of Kali Ganga River.
- Chhattisgarh Hydro Power Private Limited The company was established in the year 2005 for setting up a 24 MW Gullu Hydro Power Plant in the state of Chhattisgarh. It has also identified other potential sites in the state and is planning to develop the same. The Company is currently involved in land acquisition, obtaining statutory clearances and identifying contractors for civil and hydro mechanical works.
- Madhya Bharat Power Corporation Limited The Company was incorporated for implementation of 96 MW Rongni Chu hydro power project in Sikkim. The project envisages utilizing the flow of the Rongni Chu, a tributary to the Teesta River for the generation of power in the run of the river scheme. The Company is currently in the process of identifying contractors for civil and hydro mechanical work of the project. The work of land acquisition and all project clearances are in full swing.
- Raipur Infrastructure Company Ltd. The JV Company was incorporated for operating a private railway siding for unloading the raw materials being transported through the railways, the stake in the company is 33 percent.
- Madanpur South Coal Company Ltd. The JV Company has been allotted a coal block in the Madanpur area of Chhattisgarh in consortium. The company is in the final stages of receiving of various clearances and permissions to commence its operations. SEML has 24.91 percent share in the joint venture.
- Chhattisgarh Investments Ltd. Chhattisgarh Investments Ltd. was incorporated two decades ago as a closely held public limited company. The Company has interests in investments, socio-forestry and horticulture, with over 800 acres agricultural estate at Kharora, about 40 Kms. from Raipur. About one million trees of various species such as Teak, Hybrid Eucalyptus, Sobabul, Khamar, Bamboo etc have been planted.
- Chhattisgarh Bricks Private Ltd. The company has been formed to manufacture fly-ash bricks utilizing fly-ash generated from the company's captive power plant. The company is yet to commence business activity.
Awards & Achievements:
SEML has been ranked among top 500 most valuable private sector Indian companies by Business Today
- 1979 The Sarda Group took over Raipur Alloys and Steel Limited (RASL) (earlier Raipur Wires & Steel Limited), a sick and closed entity.
- 1981 Commissioned a 10 MT electric arc furnace to produce ingots.
- 1984 Installed a continuous casting machine/ billet casting machine, the fourth company in India to do so at that time.
- 1987 Implemented the first automated oxygen lancing plant in Madhya Pradesh to feed oxygen in the arc furnace.
- 1990 Implemented the first automated ultra-high power furnace (25 MTPD) and ladle refining furnace (25 MTPD) in Madhya Pradesh.
- 1993 Commissioned first sponge iron plant (100 MTPD) with modern SIL technology.
- 1995 Commissioned second sponge iron plant (100 MTPD).
- 2001 Commissioned a 24-MW captive power plant in Chhattisgarh Electricity Company Limited (CECL).CECL installed 2x9-MVA closed-top ferro alloys furnaces.RASL commenced production in 2x6 MT induction furnaces.
- 2002 Implemented an integrated Oracle-based ERP solution.
- 2003 Commenced a fly ash brick plant of 6000 units per day to utilize hazardous fly ash from captive power plant.CECL installed third 9 MVA ferro alloys furnace.
- 2004 Commenced extraction from RASL iron ore mines in Rajnandgaon (Dongarbore, Chhattisgarh).
- RASL augmented its sponge iron capacity through another 500 MTPD kiln.Doubled the fly ash brick-making capacity to 240 lakh units per annum.
- 2005 CECL installed fourth 9 MVA ferro alloys furnace.CECL installed second 24 MW power plant.RASL achieved QMS certification of ISO 9001:2000.
- 2006 Augmented steel-making capacity by 100,000 MTPA ( 2X15 tonnes).Installed the fifth 9 MVA ferro alloys furnace.Achieved the coveted Star Export House status from the Government of India.
- 2007 Sarda Energy & Minerals Limited came into existence on 2 August 2007 following the merger of CECL with RASL.
- 2008 Increased steel-making capacity by another 100,000 TPA (2x15 tonnes). Commissioned a 4.8 MW hydro power project through an SPV. Implemented SAP ERP system.