About the Company
Steel Authority of India (SAIL) is the largest steel-making company in India and one of the seven Maharatna’s of the country’s Central Public Sector Enterprises, was incorporated on January 24, 1973. SAIL produces iron and steel at five integrated plants and three special steel plants, located principally in the eastern and central regions of India and situated close to domestic sources of raw materials. SAIL manufactures and sells a broad range of steel products. The Government of India owns about 75% of SAIL's equity and retains voting control of the Company. However, SAIL, by virtue of its ‘Maharatna’ status, enjoys significant operational and financial autonomy. Since its inception, SAIL has been instrumental in laying a sound infrastructure for the industrial development of the country. Besides, it has immensely contributed to the development of technical and managerial expertise. It has triggered the secondary and tertiary waves of economic growth by continuously providing the inputs for the consuming industry.
The Ministry of Steel and Mines drafted a policy statement to evolve a new model for managing industry. The policy statement was presented to the Parliament on December 2, 1972. On this basis the concept of creating a holding company to manage inputs and outputs under one umbrella was mooted. This led to the formation of Steel Authority of India Ltd.
Business area of the company
The Company is engaged in the manufacturing of Iron and Steel products and generate revenues from sale of Iron and Steel products.
- Semis (Blooms, Billets, Slabs)
- Structurals (Beams, channels, Angles, Crane Rails, Z-type sheet-piling section)
- Bars, Rods & Rebars (wire rods)
- Hot rolled Products (Coils & sheets)
- Galvanised Products (Plain/Corrugated sheets & coils)
- Pipe, Electrical steel & tin plates
- Railway Products
- Alloy, Stainless & other special steel
- Pig iron
- Parallel flange beams & structurals
- SAIL has been conferred with‚ MoU Excellence Award? for the year 2010-11 for the 9th consecutive year. Chairman, SAIL received the Award from Prime Minister on January 31, 2012.
- SAIL bagged 11 out of 33 Prime Minister’s Shram Awards conferred in the country to both public & private sector organizations in July’11. In terms of no. ofbemployees, 59% of the total awardees in the country were from SAIL.
- 14 out of total 28 Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar given in the country were bagged by SAIL employees in 2011. In terms of number of employees, 62% (73 Award winner out of 117) were from SAIL family.
10 teams involving 63 SAIL employees participated in International Convention on Quality Circle 2011 held at Yokohama, Japan in September, 2011. 7 teams won Excellent and 3 won Distinguished QC Award, which was the highest for any single organsiation.
- 57 teams from SAIL Plants/Units participated in National Convention on Quality Concepts-2011 held at Hyderabad in December, 2011. 33 teams won Par Excellence, 2 teams won Excellent and 3 teams won Distinguished Award.
- SCOPE Meritorious Award-2010-11 for ‚Corporate Governance? has been conferred upon SAIL.
- 13 Awards (6 winners and 7 runner up) out of total 123 ‚National Safety Awards2009? announced by Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- SCOPE Meritorious Award for Environment Excellence & Sustainable Development? for the Year 2009-
Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering’s ‚Performance Excellence Awards – 2010 and received a Gold plaque with certificate of excellence.
- Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2011 in recognition of initiatives and achievements in the field of environment management.
- Prestigious ‘Randstad Award -2011’ under ‘Manufacturing Industries’ category.
- Dainik Bhaskar India Pride Gold Award-2011 in the category‚ Metals & Minerals & Trade including Mining, for Central PSUs.
- ‘IEI Industry Excellence Award 2011’.
- In promoting use of Rajbhasha, SAIL’s efforts have been recognized in the form of 1st prize at Town Level by TOLIC for Best Official Language implementation by Govt. of India.
- SAIL has been awarded with the Skoch Award for Financial inclusion under the category of ‚Women Empowerment? in recognition of multifold initiatives for inclusive growth.
- The company has been conferred with 'Excellent' Rating for the year 2011-12 for the 10th consecutive year.
- SAIL bagged SCOPE Award for Best Practices in Human Resource Management for the year 2011-12.
- SAIL won 13 out of 28 Viswakarma Awards declared in the country, which is the highest for any organization amongst both private and public sector.
- SAIL employees were awarded 11 out of 32 Prime Minister's Shram Awards declared in the country. This is also the highest number for any organization amongst both private and public sector.
- Two out of the five Olympics medal winners of the country were supported by SAIL (Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt). In recognition of SAIL's initiatives, Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar - 2012 was conferred to the Company by Hon'ble President of India.
- Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Award for the best implementation of official language in 'A'(Hindispeaking) region was conferred to SAIL. SAIL's Hindi magazine 'Ispat Bhasha Bharti' was also adjudged First prize winner amongst the in-house journals published in 'A' region in the country.
- In the International Convention on Quality Circle 2012 held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia during 14th-17th October, 2012, all the six participating teams from SAIL won the highest honour (3- star awards) in their respective categories.
- SAIL was awarded CII - Sustainability Award 2012 (Certificate of Commendation).
- SAIL has been conferred with “Excellent” MoU Rating for the year 2012-13 for the 11 consecutive year.
- SAIL employees won 18 out of 28 Viswakarma Awards declared in 2013, which is the highest for any organization.
- 6 out of 16 Shram Awards declared in the country in 2013 for Public Sector were won by SAIL employees.
In the international Quality Meet at Taipei, Taiwan during October, 2013, 5 Quality Circle teams consisting of 29 SAIL employees won Gold Medals.
- BSP/SAIL was awarded the prestigious PM’s trophy for the Best integrated Steel Plant (2011-12) for the 11th time (out of 20 times awarded).
- SAIL bagged Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Shield for best implementation of official language in ‘A’ (Hindispeaking) region by Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- SAIL bagged the Gold Trophy for “SCOPE Meritorious Award for Environmental Excellence & Sustainable Development” for the year 2012-13.
- SAIL was conferred with ‘Employer Federation of India National Award 2013’ for Excellence in Industrial Relations at Mumbai on 25 October, 2013.
- SAIL has been awarded with ‘Commendation Certificate for th Strong Commitment to HR excellence’ by CII in the 4th CII National HR Excellence Award 2013 held on September 24, 2013 at New Delhi.
- Top prize in the ‘National Energy Conservation Awards 2013’.
- Town Official Language Implementation Committee(NARAKAS), PSU-Delhi, under the Chairmanship of SAIL has been awarded the 1st prize for the best performance in implementation of Rajbhasha in northern region..
- Ispat Rajbhasha Shield (1st prize) awarded by Hon’ble th Minister of Steel on February 24, 2014 at Lucknow for best implementation of Official Language in SAIL.
- Ispat Bhasha Bharati, the Hindi House Journal of SAIL has been adjudged as the best magazine among all PSUs for the year 2012-13.
- ‘Company with Best CSR & Sustainability Practices Award - 2013’ conferred upon SAIL by Asian Centre for Corporate Governance & Sustainability.
- SAIL won the ‘ICC PSE Excellence Awards 2013’ under Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability in Maharatna & Navratna Award Category.
- ‘SKOCH Corporate Leadership trophy’ was awarded to the Chairman, SAIL by Union Finance Minister in the 34 SKOCH Summit held on 12 November, 2013 at New Delhi.
- SAIL won ‘SKOCH Order-of-merit Award’ in 3 award categories i.e. HRD, Environment Management and Sustainability on 11 November, 2013 at New Delhi.
- Jury award for ‘Lasting Impact on Indian Economy’ at Governance (Now PSU Awards-2013) conferred upon SAIL Chairman by Union Minister of Heavy Industries, Sh. Praful Patel on July24, 2013 at New Delhi.
- SAIL has been awarded “Responsible Business Awards-2013” in the category ‘CSR Leadership Award’ by World CSR Day in June, 2013.
- SAIL has won 'Randstad Award 2013' at Bangalore on 18 April, 2013.
- The Company has been conferred with “Excellent” MoU Rating for the year 2013-14 for the 12th consecutive year.
- 3 out of the 33 Prime Minister’s Shram Awards declared for the year 2013 were won by SAIL, involving 3 numbers of employees.
- Out of 28 awards declared, SAIL won 19 Viswakarma Rashtriya Puraskar involving 105 employees for the performance year 2012.
- Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP), bagged the Prime Minister’s Trophy for the Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant (ISP) in the Country for the year 2011-12 declared in 2014-15.
- SAIL bagged NARAKAS Rajbhasha Shield 2013-14 (1st Prize) for the “Best Implementation of Official Language”.
- SAIL won ‘Golden Peacock Award’ for ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ for the year 2014 at the 9th International Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility on 19th January, 2015 at Mumbai.
- SAIL was awarded the “PHD Chamber Good Corporate Citizen Award 2014” at New Delhi.
- SAIL won 'SCOPE Meritorious Award for Environment Excellence & Sustainable Development for the year 2012-13'.
- Town Official Language Implementation Committee (PSU), Delhi spearheaded by SAIL was adjudged First at National Level for commendable performance in implementing the Official Language Policy during the year 2013-14.
- SAIL won Governance Now PSU Award 2014 under two award categories viz. IT Adoption in HR and
Best HR Practices (Training).
- SAIL won Skoch Renaissance Awards 2014 in the category ‘Sustainable & Balanced Business Performance’.
- SAIL bagged the award for the ‘Best in CSR & Sustainability as well as the Most eco-friendly PSU in the Maharatna Category’ at the 1st India Today Group PSU Awards-2014.
- The in-house Hindi journal of SAIL ‘Ispat Bhasha Bharti’ bagged 1st prize at town level for the best magazine.
- SAIL won BT Star Award, 2014 for Excellence in HR Management.
- SAIL won 5th Dalal Street Investment Journal PSU Award 2013 in the category of Highest Asset Creating Maharatna.
- SAIL has been conferred with the First Award under the category of Public Manufacturing Organisation (Large) at the 12th National Award for Excellence in Cost Management.
- Steel Authority of India Limited has won 4 Prime Minister's Shram Awards (involving 23 employees) for the year 2014.
- Steel Authority of India Limited has won 15 Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar Awards (involving 86 employees) for the performance year 2013.
- Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP), bagged the Prime Minister's Trophy for the Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant in the Country for the year 2011-12, declared in 2014-15, for a record 11th time.
- Steel Authority of India Limited won Dainik Bhaskar India Pride Award 2015-16 under Corporate Social Responsibility award category.
- Steel Authority of India Limited won CII-ITC Sustainability 2015 Award for 'Corporate Excellence - Commendation for Significant Achievement' in recognition of its exemplary performance and contribution in the economic, social and environmental segment.
- Steel Authority of India Limited won India Today - MDRA CPSE Best HR Excellence Award - 2015.
Steel Authority of India Limited was awarded with the prestigious EEPC India National Awards for Engineering Export Excellence as the Star Performer for the year 2013-14 in the Basic Iron and Steel - Large Enterprise product group category.
- Town Official Language Implementation Committee (PSU), Delhi under the Chairmanship of SAIL was been adjudged 3rd in Northern Region for commendable performance in implementing the Official Language Policy of the Union during the year 2014-15.
- Steel Authority of India Limited won BT-STAR PSU Award 2015 for its R&D and innovations in the Category of Maharatna and Navratna PSUs.
- Steel Authority of India Limited won 7 Prime Minister's Shram Awards (involving 26 employees) for the year 2015.
- SAIL has won 10 Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar Awards (involving 42 employees) for the performance year 2015.
- SAIL has won Gold Trophy of 'SCOPE Meritorious Award for Best Practices in Human Resource Management' for the year 2014-15.
- SAIL has won Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance, by the Institute of Directors, India, for the year 2016.
- SAIL bagged the Governance Now PSU Award 2016 under the award category 'Relative Growth & Adaptation'.
- SAIL was awarded the Ispat Rajbhasha Trophy for the year 2014-15 for SAIL's best official language implementation.
- The Company has won 3 Prime Minister's Shram Awards (involving 18 employees) for the Performance Year 2015.
- The Company has won 8 Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar Awards (involving 34 employees) for the Performance Year 2015.
- The Company has won Gold Trophy of 'SCOPE Meritorious Award for Best Practices in Human Resource Management' for the Year 2014-15.
- The Company has won Governance Now Award in the Turnaround (Financial) Category on 28th February, 2018.
- SAIL's 'Ispat Bhasha Bharti' received first prize for the best in-house journal for the Year 2016-17 of Town Official Language Implementation Committee.
- Prime Minister's Shram Award (involving 6 employees) for the Year 2017.
- 9 Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar Awards (involving 48 employees) for the Performance Year 2016.
- Governance Now PSU Award for 'Resilient Growth' in the 'Maharatna' Category.
- Recognition towards 'Strong Commitment to HR Excellence' in the 9th CII HR Excellence Award for the year 2018-19.
- India's Top Challengers Award at the 16th Construction World Global Awards, 2018.
- National Award for Excellence in Cost Management for -Mega' Category by the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
- 'Runners up' Trophy (in Category-A) under 'NIPM National Award for HR Best Practices 2018'.
- SAIL's 'Ispat Bhasha Bharti' received second prize for the best in-house journal at town level for the Year 2017-18 by Town Official Language Implementation Committee, Delhi.
- Paper submitted for National Conference on Employable Skill Development in New India was selected as one of the Best Practices in India.
- Golden Peacock Environment Management Award (GPEMA) - 2019.
- 1954: Hindustan Steel Limited (HSL) is formed. It comprised of four plants - Bhilai Steel Plant, Rourkela Steel Plant, Durgapur Steel Plant, Alloy Steel Plant.
- 1959: Rourkela- Parvati, first blast furnace lighted up.
- 1959: Bhilai -First blast furnace lighted up and first coke oven battery commissioned.
- 1959: Durgapur- First blast furnace lighted up.
- 1960: Rail & Structural mill commissioned at Bhilai Steel Plant.
- 1962: Wheel & Axle plant inaugurated at Durgapur
- 1968: Construction of Bokaro Steel Limited starts.
- 1968: Facilities commissioned at various HSL plants.
- 1972: Bokaro Steel Plant - First blast furnace inaugurated.
- 1972: Salem Steel Limited formed in Tamil Nadu.
- 1972: RDCIS established in Ranchi.
- 1973: Formation of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).
- 1978: Indian Iron & Steel Company (IISCO) taken over as subsidiary.
- 1985: Inauguration of integrated trial run of Meghahataburu iron ore project.
- 1986: First modernization phase initiated at Durgapur.
- 1986: SAIL takes over Maharashtra Electrosmelt Limited (MEL), subsequently renamed Chandrapur Ferro Alloy Plant (CFP).
- 1989: Raw Material Division formed.
- 1989: Subsidiary Visvesvaraya Iron & Steel Plant (VISL) merged into SAIL.
- 1992: SAIL gets listed in Bombay Stock Exchange.
- 1995: Rourkela Steel Plant’s first modernisation commissioned
- 1997: SAIL becomes a Navratna company.
- 2001: SAIL enters into JV with NTPC to form NSPCL for captive power generation
- 2004: SAIL environment policy released.
- 2004: Bhilai produces first 80 meter long rail.
- 2006: IISCO merged with SAIL.
- 2007: Modernisation and expansion plan initiated to increase crude steel production to 21.40 MTPA.
- 2009: SAIL led consortium forms International Coal Ventures Limited (ICVL) for acquisition of coal assets.
- 2010: SAIL becomes a Maharatna company.
- 2013: Durga, India’s second largest blast furnace (Capacity: 4060 m3) comes up at RSP.
- 2013: Special grade steel from Bhilai and Rourkela used for building India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant.
- 2015: Modernised steel plants at Rourkela and IISCO dedicated to the Nation by Prime Minister.
- 2017: Rail Mill at BSP produced world’s longest single piece rail measuring 130 mtr.
- 2018: Modernised and expanded BSP dedicated to the Nation by Prime Minister.
- 2018: LHB wheels developed and supplied by DSP.
- 2018: SAIL launched its new ‘NEX’ brand Parallel Flange Section.
- 2019: SAIL launched its new branded TMT bars SAIL SeQR.
|Parent Organisation||Steel Authority Of India Ltd.||Managing Director|