About the Company
Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) is the largest crude oil and natural gas Company in India. Crude oil is the raw material used by downstream companies like IOC, BPCL, and HPCL (subsidiary of ONGC) to produce petroleum products like Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene, Naphtha, and Cooking Gas-LPG.
ONGC has a unique distinction of being a company with in-house service capabilities in all areas of Exploration and Production of oil & gas and related oil-field services. Winner of the Best Employer award, this public sector enterprise has a dedicated team of over many professionals who toil round the clock in challenging locations.
ONGC as an integrated Oil & Gas Corporate has developed in-house capability in all aspects of exploration and production business i.e., Acquisition, Processing & Interpretation (API) of Seismic data, drilling, work-over and well stimulation operations, engineering & construction, production, processing, refining, transportation, marketing, applied R&D and training, etc.
With more than 50 years of Exploration ONGC had discovered many Producing basins of India. These Oil Producing Basins are;
- 1958 - Cambay, Gujarat
- 1967 - Rajasthan
- 1973 - Assam
- 1974 - Mumbai Offshore
- 1980 - Krishna Godavari Basin
- 1985 - Cauvery Basin
Business area of the company
ONGC is a global energy holding company, engaged in the oil exploration, development, and production of crude oil and natural gas. Its segments include Exploration & Production (E&P), and Refining.
- ‘Energy and Environment Foundation Global Safety Award 2019’: IPSHEM received the prestigious ‘Energy and Environment Foundation Global Safety Award 2019’ in Platinum category during 9th World Petro-Coal Congress & Expo (WPCC), 2019.
- Award for Best Innovative Practices for Women at Workplace: ONGC has won the Best Innovative Practices Award for Women at Workplace at the 2nd Gender Equality Summit organized by Global Compact Network India on the theme ‘Preparing Women for the Future of Work’, on 1 March 2019 at New Delhi.
- CSR work in Jammu & Kashmir recognized by FICCI: The Company has been conferred with FICCI award for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) projects undertaken by it in Baramulla and Uri of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Golden Peacock Award for HR Excellence: ONGC won the Golden Peacock Award for HR Excellence in a ceremony organized by Institute of Directors (IOD) at Mumbai.
- Governance Now Award: ONGC was awarded Governance Now Award for its “HR Excellence” and “Communication Outreach” at the 6th PSU Awards held at New Delhi.
- Saksham Award for the best Overall performance in Upstream Sector: ONGC for its recognition of its efforts for promoting Oil & Gas Conservation during ‘Saksham 2018’ was honoured with the award for best overall performance in the ‘Upstream Sector’ at the inaugural function of ‘Sanrakhsan Kshamta Mahotsav-2019’ (Saksham-2019).
- FIPI Oil & Gas Awards 2017: ONGC has been conferred with two awards under prestigious categories of ‘Exploration & Production - Company of the year’ and ‘Environmental Sustainability - Company of the year’ by Federation of Indian Petroleum Industry (FIPI).
- ‘GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT AWARD’: IPSHEM, Goa received prestigious ‘Energy And Environment Foundation Global Environment Award 2018’ under the Platinum category during the 9th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress and Expo-2018.
- Top honours at Swachhta Pakwada Awards: ONGC has received top honours at ‘Swachhta Pakhwada’ Awards in Delhi.
- INFRA Icon Award in the ‘Global Energy' category: ONGC has been conferred with INFRA Icon Award in the “Global Energy” category at the mid-day INFRA Icons Awards 2018.
- ‘Maharatna of the Year (Non-Manufacturing)’ in Dalal Street’s Roll of Honor: ONGC has been recognized in the Dalal Street Investment Journal’s Roll of Honor list of India’s Best Public Sector Undertakings 2017 as the ‘Maharatna of the Year (Non-Manufacturing)’.
- Green Rameswaram CSR project bags accolades at 2nd Innovative Practices Awards: ONGC's ‘Green Rameswaram’ CSR Project was crowned winner under the ‘Sanitation Category’ at the 2nd Innovative Practices Awards for Sustainable Development Goals at Bengaluru.
- Bagged four awards at 5th Dun & Bradstreet PSU Awards: ONGC has been awarded with four accolades at 5th Dun & Bradstreet PSU Awards. It has been adjudged the winner in categories viz. ‘Mining & Exploration: Crude Oil’, ‘Mining & Exploration’, ‘CSR’ and ‘Swachh Bharat’.
- ONGC Ranked 220 in Forbes Global 2000 list
- Dun & Bradstreet Award 2019 in the 'Oil and Gas Exploration' category: ONGC has been adjudged the winner in the 'Oil and Gas Exploration' category of the Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards 2019.
- Platts Top 250: Ranked no.1 E&P Company: ONGC maintained its First Position globally in the industry category ‘Oil and Gas Exploration and Production’ and achieved overall ranking of 21st position in the Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings-2018.
- Ranked 160 in coveted Fortune Global 500 list 2019: India’s largest oil and gas producer has been ranked 160 in the coveted Fortune Global 500 list.
- S&P Platts Global Energy Award 2019: ONGC awarded for Corporate Social Responsibility - Diversified Program. ONGC is the only Indian company to bag honors across all categories.
- Certified as Great Place to Work: ONGC has been certified by the Great Place to Work, for its ‘high-trust, high-performance culture’; Great Place to Work is an USA-based global leader in certification of HR practices.
- Golden Peacock National Quality Award - 2020: The Golden Peacock National Quality Award for the year 2020 has been conferred to ONGC in recognition of its robust Quality Management Systems. The Golden Peacock National Quality Award is an annual award administered by the Golden Peacock Award Secretariat, as a part of the activities of ‘The Institute of Directors, New Delhi’.
- ONGC Videsh (OVL), the overseas investment arm of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), has won the India Risk Management Award constituted by ICICI Lombard & CNBC-TV18, second time in a row in the category Best Risk Management Framework and Systems - PSU in 2020.
- ONGC has bagged Golden Peacock Environment Management Award for second consecutive year. In another major recognition towards ONGC’s corporate commitment towards maintaining a healthy and sustainable environment, the Energy Maharatna has been conferred with the prestigious Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2020.
The Company’s Evolution can be summarized as under:
- 1955 - Inception
- 1958 - First Oil in Cambay
- 1960 - Oil gas discovery in Gujarat
- 1963 - Oil in Assam
- 1965 - Concept of ONGC Videsh Operations
- 1970 - first Offshore well
- 1974 - Mumbai High discovered
- 1976 - Bassein Gas field of Mumbai High
- 1984 - GAIL formed out of ONGC
- 1993 - ONGC a limited company
- 1993 - Govt of India divest 2% share
- 1994 - 2% share to employees
- 1999 - Equity swap ONGC, IOC, GAIL
- 2003 - Acquired Mangalore Refineries Petrochemicals Ltd from Birla Group
- 2003 - Ist equity Oil & gas from Sudan / Vietnam
- 2004 - Govt of India divests 10%
- 2006 - Diversification - ONGC Petro additives Ltd and ONGC Mangalore Petro Ltd
- 2007 - ONGC Energy Centre formed
- 2010 - Coal Bed Methane Production
- 2013 - Oil at Kazakhstan/Mozambique
- 2014 - Top Energy Company of India; 5th in Asia, 21st globally: Platts
- 2015 - ONGC Energy Center receives US Patent
- 2016 - Forbes Global: ONGC 3rd largest in India
- 2018 - 51.11% stake in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- 2019 - Invests Rs 83,000 crore in 25 projects; oil & gas gain over 180 MT
- 2020 - ONGC bags 7 Blocks in Bid Round IV of OALP
|Parent Organization||Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.||Managing Director||Rajesh Kumar Srivastava|