About the Company
Since 1863, Spencer’s has been a part of the Indian retail landscape. At one time, the Spencer’s Empire stretched from Peshawar to Cochin, from Karachi to Chittagong, spanning the length and width of undivided India. Originally owned by a British gentleman - yes, there was a Mr. Spencer (John William Spencer, to be precise) - it acquired Indian ownership in the 1960s, and became part of the RPG Group in 1989.
In 1995, RPG Enterprises, the flagship company of the RPG Group, launched 'Foodworld' as a joint venture with Hong-Kong based Dairy Farm International. The joint venture, which operated supermarkets under thename 'Foodworld' and hypermarkets under the name 'Giant', was terminated in 2006. RPG retained 48 of the 93 stores it owned. These were re-furbished and their launch under the brand name, Spencer’s, kicked off a new phase in both the history of the Spencer’s brand, and retail in India.
Since inception Spencer’s has been a consumer-centric brand, constantly innovating, pioneering formats, evolving over time but always keeping consumer needs and satisfaction center-stage. Back in 1920, the company was the first grocery chain in India. In 1980, it became the first supermarket chain, and in 2001, it introduced India to the joys of hypermarket shopping.
What has remained unchanged for 150 years is the trust that the Spencer’s brand evokes. To the consumer, it carries the promise of innovation, quality, and service; the confidence that they will always be able to find a Spencer’s store at a convenient location; that it will have a pleasant ambience; and that it will offer a wide range of products at affordable prices.
Business area of the company
Spencer's Retail is a modern retailer providing a wide range of quality products to discerning young customers - well-travelled citizens of the world, looking out for authentic flavors and experiences in a fun-filled shopping environment. Its brand positioning -Makes Fine Living Affordable- embodies this approach, delighting shoppers with the best products and services that enable a fine living at reasonable prices while providing them with a warm, friendly and knowledgeable retail environment.
Spencer’s operates 2 distinct retail formats:
Convenience stores: These are neighborhood stores that cater to the daily and weekly top-up shopping needs of consumers. Ranging from 1,500 to 15,000 sq. ft. in size, they stock an assortment of fruits and vegetables, food and non-food FMCG products, staples and frozen foods. The larger of these stores, having a floor area of more than 10,000 sq.ft., usually also offer a selected range of baked goodies, frozen foods, personal and home care products, baby care essentials, basic wear and electrical equipment.
Hypermarkets: Spencer's hypermarkets are megastores that combine a supermarket with a department store. Ranging from 15,000 sq. ft to over 50,000 sq. ft. in size, they stock a wide and deep assortment of food, fashion, home and personal care, general merchandise, electrical and electronics, staples, frozen foods, and specialty sections, all under one roof.
- 2001: Rabo india Finance, F&A award for the year 2001
- 2004: Retail Asia Pacific, Best of the best, 2004
- 2004: Retail Asia Pacific, Top retailer 2004
- 2005: Retail Asia Pacific,Top retailer 2005
- 2005: ICICI Bank retail excellence award 2005
- 2006: “Turnaround Retailer of the Year”, 2006
- 2007: India Retail Forum 'Most Evolved Retailer of the Year', India Retail Forum, 2007
- 2008: Food Forum of India Coca Cola Golden Spoon “Most Admired Food & Grocery Retailer, Convenience and Express Formats”, 2008
- 2009: Spencer's was awarded the first runners-up in the Visual Merchandizing Category at the In-store Asia, 2009.
- 2010: SAP ACE Award For Customer Excellence, 2010
- 2010: Ranked 47th Among Top 50 service Brands in India, 2010 in the Brand Equity – AC Nielson Brand Survey, 2010.
- 2010: Ranked 3rd Among the Most Trusted Brands in Retail. 2010 in the Brand Equity – AC Nielson Brand Survey, 2010.
- 2010: BEST PRACTICE AWARD, National FMCG meet, 2010
- 2011: Images Excellence Award For Pioneering Retail in East at the “East India Retail Summit Awards, 2011
- 2013: Ranked 2nd in India’s most respected companies in Retail in a study conducted by Business World in 2013.
- 2013: Spencer’s Retail wins the Most Admired Hypermarket Retailer of the Year at Images Retail Awards 2013.
- 2013: “Most Admired Retail Company of the Year (East India) at the East India Retail Summit 2013.
- 2014: “Most Admired Food & Grocery Retailer of the Year Award for Largest Expansion, Highest Trading Density, & Same Store Sales Growth.”, 2014.
- 2014: “Best VM & Retail Design in the category Hypermarkets ( >15,000 sq.ft)”, 2014
- 2014: Spencer’s Retail wins Commendation Certificate for Strong Commitment to Excel in Food Safety for Quest Hyper, Kolkata by CII National Awards for Food Safety - 2014
- 2016: Spencer's Retail has won Coca Cola Golden Spoon Awards as the Most Admired Food & Grocery Retailer of the Year for Merchandising, Marketing, Consumer Promotions & Customer Service at the India Food Forum 2016 held in Mumbai last evening.
|Parent Organization||Spencer's Retail Ltd.||Managing Director||Anuj Singh|