About the Company
NHPC was incorporated on November 7, 1975 under the Companies Act as a private limited company under the name National Hydro Electric Power Corporation Private Limited. The company was converted to a public limited company with effect from April 2, 1986. The promoter of the company is the President of India acting through the MoP, GoI and currently holds 100% of the paid-up share capital of the company.
NHPC Limited has become the largest organisation for hydropower development in India, with capabilities to undertake all the activities from conceptualization to commissioning in relation to setting up of hydro projects. NHPC has also diversified in the field of Solar & Wind power.
Business area of the company:
NHPC is principally engaged in the construction and operation of hydroelectric power projects.
- 2005: Solar Energy Society of India Business Leadership Award for Hydropower for the year 2004.
- 2006: Enterprise Excellence Award (Certificate of Merit) by the Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering for Financial and Operational Strength for the year 2004-05, Golden Peacock Award to Chamera Power Station I for Environment Management for the year 2006 by the World Environment Foundation
- 2007: Annual Greentech Environment Excellence Silver Award in Hydropower Sector by-Greentech Foundation, New Delhi for Environment Management in Hydropower stations/projects for the Dhauliganga Power Station for the year 2006
- 2007: Golden Peacock Award to Region II, Banikhet by World Environment Foundation, New-Delhi for Excellence in Environment Management for the year 2007
- 2008: B.M.L. Munjal Award for Excellence in Learning and Development for the year 2007-Golden Peacock Award to Chamera Power Station I for Occupational Health and Safety for the year 2008 by the World Environment Foundation-Performance Excellence Award (Certificate of Merit) by the Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering for Financial and Operational Strength for the year 2006-07-Special Jury Award at Asia Pacific Human Resource Management Congress for Innovative Human Resources Practices for 2007-08
- 2009: TERI Corporate Environmental Award 2009-Performance Excellance Award by the Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering-Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution in Enhancing the Image of India by the Institute of Economic Development-Amity Award for Best Corporate Social Responsibility for 2008
- 2013: NHPC Conferred Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Award
- 2016: NHPC got Corporate Governance Excellence Award
- 2016: NHPC awarded as Winner under category ‘Power Generation - Renewable’ at Dun & Bradstreet Infra Awards 2016.
- 2016: NHPC wins Best Miniratna Award
- 2016: NHPC bagged Best Hydropower Enterprise Award
- 2016: CMD, NHPC conferred Power & Energy Persona’s Award for Individual Excellence
- 2016: CMD, NHPC conferred CBIP Award for Outstanding contribution in Hydropower Development
- 2017: NHPC honoured by Hon’ble Minister of State for Power (Independent Charge) for Implementation of Rajbhasha
- 2017: GRIHA four star rating for Neer Shakti Sadan
- 2017: NHPC awarded CIDC Partner in Progress Trophy 2017
- 2017: CMD, NHPC conferred ‘Industry Doyen’ award
- 2017: NHPC conferred Water Digest Water Award for Best Water Management in Power Generation
- 2017: NHPC honored with the award for ‘Best Risk Management Practices, Frameworks and Systems’ at 3rd India Risk Management Awards
- 2017: NHPC bags award for ‘Excellence in CSR/Environment Protection and Conservation’ at India Pride Awards 2016-17.
- 2019: NHPC has been conferred with ‘Recognition of WIPS Activities Award, a tribute to Excellence in Public Enterprise Management under Mini Ratna & other category’ by Forum of Women in Public Sector (WIPS).
- 2020: NHPC has been conferred the CBIP Award 2020 for ‘Outstanding performing utility in hydro power sector’ at a glittering function held at New Delhi on February 19, 2020.
- 1975-76: Incorporation of the company.
- 1976-77: Transfer of the Loktak hydroelectric project (105 MW) from GoI to the company.
- 1977-78: Transfer of the Baira Siul hydroelectric project (180 MW) from GoI to the company.
- 1982-83: Baira Siul power station (180 MW) in Himachal Pradesh commissioned.
- 1983-84: All units of Devighat power station in Nepal commissioned ahead of schedule-Loktak power station (105 MW) in Manipur commissioned.
- 1985-86: Hydro Power Training Institute set up at the Baira Siul hydroelectric project to train operators and supervisory staff.
- 1986- 87: First issue of 14% 7 years, redeemable secured non convertible bonds amounting to Rs.143.64 crore Nuwakot Rural Electrification project in Nepal completed ahead of schedule.
- 1987-88: Establishment of a satellite telecommunication network taken up to link various projects of the company.
- 1989-90: GoI upgraded the company from a Schedule ‘B’ to a Schedule ‘A’ corporation.
- 1992-93: A consultancy wing set up to provide a range of specialised services in the investigation, design, construction and operation of hydel projects-Tanakpur power station (120 MW) in Uttarakhand commissioned.
- 1994-95: Awarded the lining work of Jawahar Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir -The company declared its maiden dividend of Rs. 5 crore for the year ending March 31.
- 1994: The company’s registered office started operating from its present building in Faridabad-Chamera I power station (540 MW) in Himachal Pradesh commissioned.
- 1995-96: Agreement signed for execution of Kurichhu hydroelectric project (45 MW) in Bhutan
- 1997-98: Uri power station (480 MW) in Jammu & Kashmir commissioned.
- 1999-2000: Rangit power station (60 MW) in Sikkim commissioned.
- 2000-01: Three units of 45 MW Kurichhu power station in Bhutan commissioned by the company ahead of schedule-The company and the government of Madhya Pradesh entered into an MoU to exploit the hydro electric potential of the Narmada basin by completing the Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar projects The company and the government of Jammu & Kashmir entered into an MoU to exploit the power potential of the state.
- 2002-03: A line of credit for a tenor of 19 years taken from LIC for an amount of Rs. 2,500 crore, the company was accorded ‘AAA’ credit rating for domestic borrowing and ‘BB’ credit rating at par with sovereign rating of international borrowings by Fitch Ratings.
- 2003-04: Chamera- II power station (300 MW) in Himachal Pradesh commissioned.
- 2004-05: Indira Sagar hydroelectric project (1,000 MW) of NHDC, a joint venture of the company and the government of Madhya Pradesh in Madhya Pradesh commissioned.
- 2005-06: ERP initiated under the name Project Kiran.
- 2006-07: The company entered into an agreement with Government of Bhutan for preparation of DPR of Mangdechhu project (672 MW) in Bhutan.
- 2007-08: The name of the company changed to its present name NHPC Limited-Dulhasti power station (390 MW) commissioned-Teesta-V power station (510 MW) commissioned-Omkareshwar hydroelectric project (520 MW) of NHDC, a joint venture of the company and the government of Madhya Pradesh, commissioned-The company entered into an MoA with the government of Arunachal Pradesh to execute the Dibang multipurpose hydroelectric project-The company entered into an MoU with the government of Manipur to exploit the hydro electric potential of the tailrace discharge of Loktak Downstream Hydroelectric Project.
- 2008-09: The company conferred Mini Ratna Category I status by the GoI-The company entered into an MoU with the government of Jammu & Kashmir, JKSPDC and PTC to incorporate a joint venture to develop the Pakal Dul and other hydro projects in the Chenab River Basin-Incorporation of joint venture company, National Power Exchange Limited, along with NTPC, PFC and Tata Consultancy Services Limited.
- 2009-10: Incorporation of a joint venture company, National High Power Test Laboratory Private Limited, along with NTPC, Powergrid Corporation of India Limited and Damodar Valley Corporation.
- 2013: A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between NHPC Limited and Uttar Pradesh New & Renewable Energy Development Agency, Department of Additional Sources of Energy, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh on August 08, 2013 at Lucknow for implementation of Solar Power Project in Uttar Pradesh.
- 2013: NHPC has signed an agreement with Government of Odisha and Odisha Hydro Power Corporation Limited (OHPC) for formation of a Joint Venture company for implementation of six hydroelectric projects with an aggregate installed capacity of 1020 MW.
- 2013: NHPC has inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Chhattisgarh State Power Holding Company Limited (CSPHCL) and Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO Limited).
- 2014: NHPC Conferred Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Award.
- 2014: NHPC Signing of MoU with Government of Kerala for setting up of Solar Power Project.
- 2014: NHPC has been successfully completed the 14.73 Kms Head Race Tunneling of Kishanganga HE Project through TBM.
- 2015: NHPC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- 2015: NHPC has received environmental clearance for Dibang project, in Arunachal Pradesh.
- 2015: NHPC has been signed agreement for the development of four Hydroelectric Projects in Teesta Basin.
- 2015: Rays Power Experts has bagged Rs 300 crore order from NHPC Ltd for setting up a 50 MW solar power project at Sattur in Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu.
- 2015: NHPC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI).
- 2016: NHPC signs MoU with Maharashtra for solar projects.
- 2016: NHPC starts commercial operation of Teesta project.
- 2016: NHPC plans 600 MW solar project at Koyna dam in Maharashtra.
- 2016: NHPC enters into pact with BHEL for hydro projects.
- 2016: NHPC commences operation of power project.
- 2016: NHPC signs power pact with Inox.
- 2016: NHPC signs Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for 50 MW wind power project2016: NHPC Signs Contract Agreement with BHEL for Renovation & Modernization of 180 MW Baira Siul Power Station.
- 2019: NHPC signs letter of Intent with NEA Engineering.
- 2019: NHPC commission Unit 2 of Bairasiul Power Station in Himachal Pradesh.
- 2020: NHPC gets ISMS certification for IT&C Division.
- 2020: NHPC signs MoU with ALIMCO.
- 2020: NHPC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Power Grid Corporation of India for Turnkey Execution of Dedicated Transmission lines / Construction Power Supply lines for future NHPC hydropower projects in India.
- 2020: NHPC has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Hydropower Investment and Development Company (HIDCL), the premier organization for jointly developing hydropower projects in Nepal.
- 2020: NHPC has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Green Energy Development Corporation of Odisha (GEDCOL).
- 2020: NHPC has signed Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Eden Renewable Passy for 300 MW and with Altra Xergi Power (SPV of O2 Power SG PTE) for 380 MW for procurement of solar power at the tariff of Rs 2.55/kWh at NHPC corporate office for 25 years on long term basis.
- 2020: NHPC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Power, Government of India for 2020-21.
- 2020: NHPC has signed a Power Sale Agreement (PSA) with Chhattisgarh State Power Distribution Company (CSPDCL) at Raipur (Chhattishgarh) for supply of 400 MW Solar Power at the tariff of Rs. 2.55/kWh for 25 years on long term basis.
|Parent Organization||NHPC Ltd.||Managing Director||Rajeev Kumar Vishnoi|