Pharmaceuticals & Drugs
|Market Cap||56,374 Cr||EPS||29.2||High||1256|
|Stock P/E||42.3||Net Profit Margin||9.8||Low||1230.6|
|Market Cap||56,374 Cr||ROE||9.5%|
|P/B Ratio||4.3||Dividend Yield||0.3%|
|Industry P/E||40.0||Book Value||290.8|
About the Company
Lupin was founded on the auspicious ‘Guddi padwa’ Day in 1968 by Dr. Desh Bandhu Gupta - a visionary with a compelling mission to create a better world for people. DBG as he was fondly called, started the company with a dream - a dream to fight life-threatening, infectious diseases with affordable and high-quality drugs of the highest social priority. With his vision, inimitable commitment and passion, Dr. Gupta steered the organization to become one of the fastest-growing Generic pharmaceutical companies around the world.The name ‘Lupin’ was inspired by the flower Lupin which is known to nourish the soil it grows in.
The Lupin flower is also known to be tolerant of the infertile soils and capable of pioneering change in barren and poor climates. This inspiration is at the core of the company’s ethos as it relentlessly strives to build medical solutions to meet the unmet needs of the society not just for a few but for the many across the globe.
Lupin is recognised as one of the world's largest manufacturers of Tuberculosis drugs. The company have significant market share across multiple therapy areas such as Cardiovascular (prils and statins), Diabetology, Asthma, Paediatric, Central Nervous System (CNS), Gastro Intestinal (GI), Anti-Infective (AI) and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). To add to this, the company has proud to maintain over the years its global leadership positions in other therapy areas such as Anti-TB and Cephalosporin.
Business area of the company
Lupin is an innovation-led transnational pharmaceutical company headquartered in Mumbai, India.
Products and services offered by the company
- Global Formulations
- Active Pharmaceuticals Ingredients (API)
- Specialty Business
- Over The Counter (OTC)
- Global Manufacturing & Supply Chain
- 2007: Cardinal Health Conferred Two Awards - The ‘Trade Representative Of The Year’ And The ‘Quality Supplier Award’ To Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- 2007: Amerisource Bergen, One Of The Largest And Leading Wholesalers In The US Conferred The ‘Best New Manufacturer Of The Year, Generics Rx’ To Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- 2008: ‘Walmart Supplier Award Of Excellence’ For Overall Commitment, Performance, On-Time Shipping, Innovative Programs And Overall Partnership.
- 2009: International Excellence Award by Institute Of Economic Studies.
- 2009: Outstanding Export Performance Award by Pharmexcil (Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council Of India).
- 2010: Indian Pharmaceutical Company Of The Year 2010 By Frost & Sullivan India Excellence In Healthcare Awards 2010.
- 2010: Best Drug Development Company, Asia by The New Economy Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Awards 2010.
- 2010: Lupin Wins 'The Most Promising Entrant Into The Big League' by CNBC India Business Leader Awards 2010.
- 2011: Healthcare Distribution Management Association (HDMA) Honors Lupin With DIANA Award For Best Overall Generic Product Manufacturer.
- 2011: Top Indian Pharma Company under The 'Pharmaceuticals' Sector For The Dun & Bradstreet Rolta Corporate Awards 2010.
- 2011: Lupin Ranked Amongst India's Top 3 'Best Companies To Work For' In Healthcare And Pharma Sector.
- 2011: Hall Of Fame Award By Chemtech Foundation (Leadership And Excellence Awards).
- 2011: IMM (Institute Of Marketing And Management) Award For Excellence As Top Organisation.
- 2011: Lupin Ranked 2nd Amongst India's ‘Best Companies To Work For’ In The Biotechnology And Pharmaceutical Sector.
- 2012: Lupin Bags ‘Niryat Shree’ Gold Trophy for ‘Outstanding Export Performance’ In The Category Of Chemicals, Drugs, Pharma And Allied Products, During The Year 2009-2010, By FIEO (Federation Of Indian Export Organisations).
- 2012: The Economic Times 500 ‘India’s 10 Most Resilient Companies 2012’
- 2012: Dr Desh Bandhu Gupta (Founder & Chairman) has won the ‘Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2011’ Award In The Life Sciences And Healthcare Sector.
- 2012: Lupin Has Won The NDTV Business Leadership Awards, 2011: Indian Pharmaceutical Company Of The Year
- 2012: Mrs Vinita Gupta Won The Business Today ’30 Most Powerful Women In Business’ Award.
- 2012: Mr Ramesh Swaminathan Won The Business Today Yes Bank ‘Best CFO Award - Best Leverage Management - Large Companies’.
- 2013: Mr Ramesh Swaminathan Bags The CNBC ‘Best CFO’ Award For Pharmaceutical Sector 2012
- 2013: Dr Kamal Sharma Bags The Business Today Best CEO Awards 2013
- 2013: Dr Desh Bandhu Gupta (Founder And Chairman) Won The Frost & Sullivan - Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2013: Ms Vinita Gupta, CEO, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Bagged The Ernst & Young US 2012 ‘Family Business Award’
- 2013: Ms Vinita Gupta, CEO, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Bagged The Ernt & Young ‘Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012 Award’ In Maryland.
- 2014: Ms Vinita Gupta - Forbes Asia Businesswomen - Power 50
- 2015: Ms Vinita Gupta, CEO amongst the Most Powerful Business Women 2015 By Business Today.
- 2015: The Best CFO Award By FinanceAsia - Mr Ramesh Swaminathan.
- 2015: Lupin #1 In Pharma In ‘Best At Investor Relations’ By FinanceAsia; 5th In Overall Ranking.
- 2015: Risk Management Firm of The Year (Pharma) At CNBC TV18 India Risk Management Awards.
- 2015: ICAI (Institute Of Chartered Accountants Of India) Awards For Excellence In Financial Reporting For The Year 2013-14.
- 2015: ‘Outstanding Company Of The Year’ - CNBC-TV18 India Business Leadership Awards, 2014-15.
- 2016: ‘Entrepreneur Of The Year’ - Forbes India Leadership Awards 2016 – Ms Vinita Gupta, CEO And Mr Nilesh Gupta, MD
- 2016: Outstanding Company Of The Year By CNBC-TV18
- 2016: Outstanding Woman Business Leader Of The Year -CNBC India Business Leadership Awards - Ms Vinita Gupta, CEO
- 2016: Lupin In AON Best Employers India 2016
- 2016: Lupin In Forbes World’s Most Powerful Public Companies
- 2016: Golden Peacock Award for Excellence In Corporate Governance
- 2016: Lupin Ranked 15th in The Great Places To Work ‘Best Companies To Work For In Asia’
- 2016: Ernst & Young ‘Entrepreneur Of The Year Award’ - Ms Vinita Gupta, CEO and Mr Nilesh Gupta, MD.
- 2017: Lupin Ranked No.1 In The Biotech And Pharma, And No. 4 Amongst Large Organisations In The List Of Top 100 - Great Place To Work 2017.
- 2017: Business World - Best CFO Award.
- 2017: Forbes Global 2000, FY 2017.
- 2017: BEST Award from ATD.
- 2017: Cardinal Supply Chain Excellence Award For 2017.
- 2017: Vinita Gupta - Hall Of Fame - The Most Powerful Business Women 2017 By Business Today.
- 2017: Walmart Supplier Of The Year Award For 2017.
- 2017: Lupin Ranked No.1 in The Biotech And Pharma, And No. 4 Amongst Large Organisations In The List Of Top 100 Great Place To Work.
- 2017: Business World - Best CFO Award.
- 2017: Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Award.
- 2017: Thomson Reuters India Innovation Award For Research & Development.
- 2018: Vinita Gupta: Vogue And IBM Businesswoman Of The Year 2018.
- 2018: Vinita Gupta Selected Women Of Worth 2018 By Outlook Business.
- 2018: Vinita Gupta Listed In Top 50 Most Powerful Women In Business 2018 By Fortune India.
- 2018: Crystal Globe Recognition Award In Oct 2018, Second Time In A Row.
- 2018: Dr D B Gupta Inducted Into ‘Hall Of Fame’ - CNBC TV18 India Business Leader Awards 2018.
- 2018: Lupin Receives The Prestigious Annual ‘Innovator Award’ From BioNJ, New Jersey.
- 2018: India Pharma Bulk Drug Company Of The Year 2018 - Department Of Pharmaceuticals, Government Of India.
- 2018: ‘BEST Award 2018’ From ATD.
- 2019: India Pharma Innovation Of The Year Award 2019 - Department Of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. Of India.
- 2019: Silver Awards for Quality By Design From ASQ (American Society Of Quality).
- 2019: Silver Award for Lean Six Sigma Project from QCFI (Quality Circle Forum Of India).
- 2019: McKesson Supplier Of The Year Award For 2019 In US.
- 2019: Three Of its Manufacturing Sites (Ankleshwar, Mandideep And Tarapur) Are At Level 7 Of ISRS 8th Edition - The Highest Safety Rating To Be Achieved By A Pharmaceutical Organisation.
- 2019: Lupin Won First Prize In CII National Six Sigma Award For Operational Excellence In Manufacturing.
- 2019: Lupin Won 2nd Prize in CII Kaizen Competition Held at Chandigarh (Restorative Kaizen).
- 2020: Lupin’s Ankleshwar Facility Wins Gold Award From American Society For Quality.
- 2020: Par Excellence Award by The Quality Circle Forum Of India (QCFI).
- 2020: Indian Drug Manufacturers’ Association (IDMA) Corporate Citizen Award 2019 to Lupin Foundation.
- 2020: India Pharma Leader Award -India Pharma Leader Award.
- 1968: Lupin commences business.
- 1972: Lupin Laboratories Pvt. Ltd. is incorporated.
- 1979: Commissions first formulations plant and an R&D center at Aurangabad.
- 1981: Commences the production of Ethambutol.
- 1987: The Cephalexin Plant at mandideep and 7 ADCA plants at Ankleshwar go on stream.
- 1988: The Lupin Human Welfare And Research Foundation (LHWRF) is founded By Dr. Desh Bandhu Gupta.
- 1989: Gets into a joint venture in Thailand and Lupin Chemicals (Thailand) is established receives US FDA approvals for Ankleshwar and Mandideep plants.
- 1991: Initiates production of injectable Cephalosporin (Bulk And Dosages) at Mandideep
- 1992: Establishes a Fermentation Plant Of Lupin Chemicals Tarapur, Maharashtra Commissions a sterile plant for injectable Cephalosporins (Bulk) at Mandideep.
- 1993: Lupin Laboratories and Lupin Chemicals raise money through IPOs.
- 1997: Receives USFDA approvals for three plants - Cefaclor at Mandideep, 7 ACCA at Ankleshwar and Rifampicin at Tarapur.
- 1998: Receives UK MCA approval for the injectable Cephalosporin Dosages plant at Mandideep.
- 1999: Receives UK MCA approval for the Injectable Cephalosporin Bulk active plant at Mandideep.
- 2000: Receives USFDA approval for the Cefotaxime facility at Mandideep.
- 2001: State-of-the-art R&D Centre, Lupin Research Park at Pune is commissioned.
- 2001: Commences supply of Cephalosporin Bulk actives to its alliance partners in the US
- 2001: Lupin Laboratories is amalgamated with Lupin Chemicals and Retitled to Lupin.
- 2001: Becomes the only Asian pharmaceutical company to receive US FDA approvals for its Sterile Cephalosporin Facility.
- 2001: A State-Of-The-Art US FDA approved Oral Cephalosporin Bulk Active plant is commissioned at Mandideep.
- 2002: Exports To The Advanced Markets Cross ` 1000 Million; Rising Trend Of Exports As A % Of Total Revenue Which Went Up 33% Year-Over-Year.
- 2002: Patent filings cross 100.
- 2002: First five ANDAs filed.
- 2002: Filed five ANDAs.
- 2002: New Anti-TB facility commissioned at Aurangabad.
- 2002: Rablet rated by ORG-Marg as the second best launch of FY 2002-03.
- 2003: Receives WHO approval for State-Of-The-Art formulation plant, Aurangabad.
- 2003: Successfully implements SAP ERP across the company to unify all business functions and processes.
- 2003: Introduced collaborative messaging and workflow solution on the intranet.
- 2003: Receives US FDA approval for the Oral Cephalosporin Plant at Mandideep.
- 2003: Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc. USA, was formed for trading, marketing and developmental activities in the US.
- 2004: Commences its US brands business with the launch Of Suprax.
- 2005: Receives USFDA approval for new Lovastatin plant at Tarapur.
- 2005: Receives the USFDA approval for Goa.
- 2005: Launches its generics business in the US with four products.
- 2005: Implements maiden employees stock option plan.
- 2006: Receives The MHRA (UK) and WHO approval for Goa
- 2006: Maiden Bonus Shares issued in the ratio of 1:1
- 2006: Maiden issue of Foreign Currency Convertible Bonds (FCCB) aggregating $100 Million, listed on The Singapore Stock Exchange.
- 2007: Acquires Kyowa Pharmaceutical Industry Company Ltd., a leading generics company In Japan.
- 2007: Acquires Vadodara Based Rubamin Laboratories Ltd. (Rechristened To Novodigm Ltd.)
- 2007: Starts commercial production at the new finished dosage facility At Jammu.
- 2008: Sets up a Biotech facility at Pune.
- 2008: Expands its product basket in Japan-Kyowa and receives approvals for ten products from the Ministry Of Health & Labour Welfare, Japan.
- 2008: Acquires Hormosan Pharma GmbH in Germany.
- 2008: Acquires a stake in Generic Health Pty Ltd., Australia.
- 2008: Acquires a majority stake in pharma dynamics, South Africa.
- 2009: Acquires the US Rights for Antara.
- 2009: Acquires majority stake in MultiCare Pharmaceuticals Philippines Inc.
- 2010: Emerges the 5th Largest Generic Player in the US.
- 2011: Starts commercial production at the New Oral Solid Dosage facility at Pithampur.
- 2011: Acquires I’rom Pharmaceuticals in Japan.
- 2011: Enters into a joint development agreement with Medicis.
- 2011: Acquires Worldwide Rights for the goanna brand.
- 2012: Enters the NIFTY 50 index
- 2013: Expands its branded play with exclusive US Rights to Alinia for oral suspensions.
- 2014: Inks strategic joint venture agreement with Yoshindo Inc. in Japan.
- 2014: Acquires Laboratorios Grin S.A. De C.V., Mexico, Specialty Ophthalmic Company and with this enters the Latin American Market.
- 2014: Acquires Nanomi B.V., enters Complex Injectables Space
- 2015: The Center Of Excellence For Inhalation Research In Coral Springs, Florida is inaugurated.
- 2015: Acquires the specialty product portfolio of Temmler Pharma GmbH & Co. in Germany.
- 2015: Acquires Medquimica Industria Farmaceutica S.A. In Brazil.
- 2015: Completes the acquisition of Pharma Dynamics in South Africa.
- 2016: Commissions a new plant at Tottori, Japan.
- 2016: Bolsters the US Brands Portfolio with Methergine Oral Tablets.
- 2016: Acquires branded product portfolio from Shionogi & Co. Ltd. in Japan.
- 2016: Acquires Gavis Pharma in New Jersey.
- 2016: Inaugurates a new plant at Visakhapatnam.
- 2017: Acquires Symbiomix Therapeutics, LLC in New Jersey
- 2017: Forays into the OTC segment with pan india launch of Softovac
- 2017: Inaugurates a new plant at Sikkim
- 2018: Commissions injectables facility at Nagpur
- 2018: Files a new drug application for Etanercept Biosimilar in Japan
- 2019: Divestment of Kyowa Pharmaceutical Industry Co.
|Parent Organization||Lupin Ltd.||Managing Director||Nilesh Gupta|
All values are in Rs Cr
|Company||52 Week||Market Price||P/E Ratio||Financials||Share Holding|