Finance - Others
|Market Cap||32,703 Cr||EPS||52.2||High||2485|
|Stock P/E||46.3||Net Profit Margin||31.6||Low||2410|
|Market Cap||32,703 Cr||ROE||5.7%|
|P/B Ratio||8.2||Dividend Yield||0.5%|
|Industry P/E||56.9||Book Value||294.7|
About the Company
BSE Ltd owns and operates the BSE exchange platform (formerly, the Bombay Stock Exchange), the first stock exchange in Asia, which was formed on July 9, 1875. At the end of October 2016, the BSE was the world’s largest exchange by number of listed companies, and India's largest and the world’s 10th largest exchange by market capitalization, with $1.7 trillion in total market capitalization of listed companies. As the operator of the BSE, it regulates listed issuers and provides a market for listing and trading in various types of securities as may be allowed by SEBI from time to time.
The company is engaged in extensive monitoring of its members, of listed companies and of market activities in order to minimize the risk of default, promote market transparency and integrity. By doing so, it along with other Indian stock exchanges contribute to the growth of the Indian capital markets and stimulate innovation and competition across market segments.
The company has highly developed electronic systems for entry, trading, clearing and settlement and depository services and it continually seeks to improve its core IT capabilities, the reliability and consistency, which help it to maintain its competitive position. Moreover, to continue to improve its product and service offering, the company has entered into a number of strategic partnerships and joint ventures. It is a member of the BRICS Exchange Alliance, whereby leading exchanges in Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa cross-list futures products based on the flagship indices of each of the exchanges, and ICCL entered into an agreement with Clearstream whereby members in its clearing corporation can manage their margin requirements by placing collateral with Clearstream's Global Liquidity Hub (GLH).
Business area of the company
The company operates in three primary lines of business, namely: (1) the listing business, which consists of the primary market, which relates to the issuance of new securities; (2) the market business, which consists of (i) the secondary market, which relates to the purchase and sales of previously-issued securities, (ii) BSE StAR MF (BSE StAR), its online platform for the placement of orders and redemptions of units in mutual funds, (iii) NDS-RST, its platform for the reporting of over-the-counter corporate bond trading, (iv) membership, which includes membership in the Exchange, membership in its clearing corporation ICCL, and membership of depository participants in its depository CDSL, and (v) post-trade services, namely the clearing corporation and depository; and (3) the data business, which consists of the sale and licensing of information products.
In addition to its primary lines of business, the company also has supporting businesses, including (i) providing IT services and solutions, (ii) licensing index products such as the S&P BSE SENSEX, (iii) providing financial and capital markets training; and (iv) operating its corporate and social responsibility portal. Moreover, the company has an active treasury function focused on managing its cash, including both its own funds as well as funds that it holds on behalf of third parties (such as margins placed by clearing members).
Major events and milestones
- 1875: Brokers formed an association known as the ‘Native Share and Stock Brokers' Association’.
- 1887: The Native Share and Stock Brokers' Association was formally constituted.
- 1957: The Exchange was granted permanent recognition under SCRA.
- 1995: The Exchange started its Bombay Online Trading System (BOLT), a screen based trading system.
- 2000: SEBI approval to commence derivative trading and settlement in SEBI approved derivative contracts.
- 2001: Launch of BSE TECK Index.
- 2005: Incorporation of the Exchange as 'Bombay Stock Exchange Limited', pursuant to the Demutualisation Scheme.
- 2007: Singapore Exchange entered into an agreement to acquire 5% stake in the Exchange for a consideration of Rs 2,007.8 million.
- 2007: Deutsche Borse entered into an agreement to acquire 5% stake in the Exchange for a consideration of Rs 2,007.8 million.
- 2009: The Exchange launched BSE StAR MF - Mutual Fund trading platform.
- 2011: The name of the Exchange was changed to its present name, ‘BSE Limited’.
- 2011: SEBI approval granted to the Exchange for the Exchange's SME Platform.
- 2013: The Exchange entered into joint venture agreement with SPDJS for creating, developing and distributing indices and data products.
- 2013: SEBI approval granted to the Exchange for commencement of trading in the debt segment.
- 2013: Launch of Currency Derivatives segment.
- 2014: Launch of Interest Rate Futures.
- 2015: The Exchange partners with Confederation of Indian Industry and Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs to launch a corporate social responsibility platform 'Sammaan'.
- 2015: The Exchange entered into a memorandum of understanding to develop GIFT City.
- 2016: Issuance of the postage stamp to commemorate 140 years of the Exchange.
Certifications, awards and accreditations
- 2007: The Golden Peacock Global Award for Corporate Social Responsibility.
- 2013: ICICI Lombard and ET Now Risk Management Award in “BFSI” Category.
- 2014: Asia's Best Employer Brand Award.
- 2014: CISCO Technology Award for improving asset utilisation through internet of everything.
- 2014: Asian Banker Leadership Achievement Award for the Best Managed Financial Derivative Exchange in the Asia Pacific.
- 2015: Golden Peacock Award 2015 for Excellence in Corporate Governance in the financial services sector.
- 2015: Skoch Order of Merit Award 2015 in India’s Best - 2015 in Smart Technology.
- 2015: SKOCH Acheiver Award.
- 2016: PC Quest award for New Data Centre - Most Complex Project.
|Parent Organization||BSE Ltd.||Managing Director||Sundararaman Ramamurthy|
All values are in Rs Cr
|Company||52 Week||Market Price||P/E Ratio||Financials||Share Holding|