About the Company
The company own and operate Barbeque Nation Restaurants, one of India’s leading casual dining restaurant chains. It also own and operate Toscano Restaurants and UBQ by Barbeque Nation Restaurant. The first Barbeque Nation Restaurant was launched in 2006 by SHL, one of its Promoters. It launched its first Barbeque Nation Restaurant in 2008, and subsequently acquired five Barbeque Nation Restaurants owned by SHL in 2012. It has steadily grown its owned and operated Barbeque Nation Restaurant network from a single restaurant in 2008 to 147 Barbeque Nation Restaurants (including opened, temporarily closed and under construction outlets) across 77 cities in India and six International Barbeque Nation Restaurants in three countries outside India as of December 31, 2020.
The company owns 61.35% of the equity share capital on a fully diluted basis of one of its Subsidiaries, Red Apple, which owns and operates nine restaurants under the brand name, ‘Toscano’, a casual dining Italian restaurant chain and operates one restaurant each under the brand names ‘La Terrace’ and ‘Collage’ respectively. The first Toscano Restaurant commenced operations in June 2008 and, as of December 31, 2020, it operated eleven Italian Restaurants, nine of which are under the brand name Toscano, in three cities in India. In November 2018, it launched UBQ by Barbeque Nation Restaurant to provide a la carte Indian cuisine in the value segment. At present, UBQ by Barbeque Nation Restaurant predominantly caters to the delivery segment.
Business area of the company
One of the leading casual dining chains in India, the company pioneered the concept of 'over the table barbeque' live grills embedded in dining tables - allowing guests to grill their own barbecue’s right at their tables. Indian cuisine is a natural part of the diet in the markets in which the Barbeque Nation Restaurants operate. It continues to offer new menu options, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian, largely based on Indian cuisine and use seasonal customer preferences to introduce new dishes. It also run popular food festivals at its Barbeque Nation Restaurants, thereby offering its customers a range of Indian and international cuisines. It typically offer customers at least five vegetarian and five non-vegetarian largely pre-cooked appetisers they can season and barbeque on a grill embedded in their table, an all-you-can-eat main course buffet and a selection of desserts.
Awards and Accreditations
- 2016: The company was awarded the ‘Hospitality Trailblazer Award’ from Food Hospitality World (part of Indian Express).
- 2016: The Company was ranked 37 amongst India’s best companies to work for 2016 by Great Places to Work Institute in collaboration with Economic Times.
- 2017: One of its restaurants located in Gurgaon won the runner-up award at the People’s Choice Awards 2016 for excellence in the category of North Indian food by Gurgaon Foodie.
- 2017: The company was ranked amongst the top 10 retail companies to work for by Great Places to Work Institute in 2017 in collaboration with Retailers Association of India.
- 2017: The company won the best restaurant concept of the year award for 2017 from eazydiner Foodie awards.
- 2018: The Company was ranked among the top 10 retail best brands to work for in India in 2018 by Great Place to Work (India) in association with Retailers Association of India.
- 2018: The company was awarded the best national restaurant chain of the year at the Restaurant Awards 2017.
- 2018: The company was awarded the best restaurant chain of year at the Restaurant Awards 2017 (South India Edition).
- 2019: The company won the best restaurant chain of the year award for the year 2018 from eazydiner Foodie awards.
- 2019: The company was awarded the ‘Best National Restaurant of the Year 2018’ award at the Indian Restaurant Awards powered by Franchise India.
- 2019: The company was awarded the ‘Silver’ award at the SAMMIE Awards, 2018.
- 2019: The company was recognised as the ‘Finest Food and Beverage Destination’ by 92.7 Big FM.
- 2020: The company was awarded the ‘Best Restaurant to Work with’ award at the Indian Restaurant Awards 2019.
- 2020: The company was awarded the ‘Best Buffet in Kolkata at the Owlers Awards 2019 in association with Times Prime.
- 2020: The company was awarded ‘Most Preferred Restaurant & F&B Retailer’ at the Stars of the Industry Awards by ET Now.
- 2021: The company was ranked amongst the top 10 retail companies to work for by Great Places to Work Institute in 2020 in collaboration with Retailers Association of India.
- 2021: The company was awarded the ‘Best Barbeques and Grills - Casual Dining’ award at the Times Food and Nightlife Awards 2020 by the Times of India.
Major events and milestones
- 2006: The company’s promoter, SHL, launched the first Barbeque Nation restaurant at Pali Hill, Mumbai.
- 2007: Barbeque Nation restaurants opened in Indira Nagar and Kormangala (Bengaluru) and Banjara Hills (Hyderabad) by SHL.
- 2008: The company established a presence in Chennai and started the first Barbeque Nation restaurant in T Nagar, Chennai.
- 2012: Achieved revenue of over Rs 1,000 million for Fiscal 2012.
- 2012: Acquisition of five Barbeque Nation restaurants from SHL.
- 2012: The company opened the 25th Barbeque Nation restaurant at Times Square, Mumbai.
- 2013: Investment by CX Partners Fund I Limited through TPL and investment by AAJVIT.
- 2013: Introduced the concept of ‘Kulfi Nation’ counters in its restaurants.
- 2015: Introduced the concept of ‘Live counters’ in select restaurants.
- 2016: The company commenced international operations by setting up the 1st Barbeque Nation restaurant in Dubai.
- 2016: The company opened the 75th Barbeque Nation restaurant in Korum Mall, Mumbai.
- 2017: Achieved a consolidated revenue of over Rs 4,000 million in Fiscal 2017.
- 2018: Investment by Alchemy India and Partner Reinsurance.
- 2018: Expanded its international footprint in the Asia Pacific region by setting up a Barbeque Nation restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2018: The company opened the 100th Barbeque Nation restaurant in Dimapur, Nagaland.
- 2018: Launched UBQ by Barbeque Nation to provide a la carte Indian cuisine in the value segment.
- 2019: The company opened the 130th Barbeque Nation restaurant.
- 2019: Further expanded its international footprint by opening a restaurant in Muscat, Oman.
- 2019: Acquisition of a controlling interest in Red Apple, which currently operates Italian restaurants under the brand name “Toscano”, “La Terrace” and “Collage.
- 2020: The company opened the 149th Barbeque Nation restaurant in Indore.
- 2020: Launched “Barbeque-in-a-Box”, a product offering available online.
- 2021: Investment by Xponentia.
- 2021: Investment by Jubilant.
|Parent Organization||Barbeque-Nation Hospitality Ltd.||Managing Director||Kayum Dhanani|