About the Company
Ajanta Pharma is established in 1973. Committed to 'Serve Health Care Needs Worldwide', the company produces a comprehensive range of specialty products targeting different therapeutic segments for treatment of patients, customised to each market it is present in. The company's Institutional business comprises of India Business and Africa Business. In India, company is a reliable supplier for various government bodies like Armed forces, government hospitals, canteens, stores department, etc. The product basket for India market includes multivitamins, antibiotics, eye drops, cough syrups, etc. In Africa, the company was the first Generic Company to obtain 'WHO Pre-Qualification' for Anti-Malarial product, a combination of Artemether plus Lumefantrine. It has been innovating on this product since then and has given many new variations for patient convenience and compliance.
As a part of the company’s philosophy to build sustainable and scalable business model, it set its eye on entering the world’s largest and most stringent pharmaceutical market-USA. It carved out select product portfolio which include complex technology products to get the competitive advantage in the market place. It has also made substantial investments in its R&D facilities and thereby acquired required technical and regulatory expertise to penetrate the market. It has an advanced Research & Development Centre for finished formulations and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) synthesis of different dosage forms.
Business area of the company
Ajanta Pharma is a specialty pharmaceutical company engaged in development, manufacturing and marketing of quality finished dosages. Its business includes Branded Generics in emerging markets of Asia and Africa, Generics in the developed markets of USA and Institution sales. Emerging markets are the major contributors in company’s branded generic business where it is present across Asia and Africa. It has designed customised basket of products for each of these markets and serve wide range of therapeutic segments like Anti-Biotic, Anti-Malarial, Anti-Diabetic, Cardiology, Gynecology, Orthopedics, Pediatric, Respiratory & General Health products.
Awards and accreditations
- 2011: Gold Trophy for Quality Excellence from Indian Drug Manufacturer's Association.
- 2015: Listed in Top 100 Companies of Asia by Bio Spectrum Asia, Ranked 76th.
- 2015: Listed in Fortune India Next 500, being 3rd largest wealth creator during last 5 years, Ranked 20th in Net Profit and 182nd in Sales.
- 2015: Fastest wealth creator in last 5 years as per a study by Motilal Oswal.
- 2016: Listed in ‘Fastest Growing Company in India’ and Ranked 21st by Outlook Business Magazine.
- 2017: Ajanta listed among fastest growing pharma company, ranked 11th in revenue by Businessworld.
- 2017: Listed among Out Performers List of Outlook Business, ranked 1st Among Stock Return.
- 2017: Listed among ‘Forbes India Super 50 Companies’ for the 3rd year in a row.
- 2017: Listed in BT 500 ranked 148th in Market Capitalisation, 327th in sales & 102nd in Profit.
- 2017: Ranked 186th in Next Super 100 companies by Business India.
- 2017: Listed as Fastest Wealth Creator for the 3rd year in a row by Motilal Oswal.
- 2018: Listed in Fortune 500 list of Indian companies Ranked 3rd in wealth creation.
- 2018: Top Export Performer Award' by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations.
Major events and milestones
- 1973: Ajanta started with re-packing of generic products.
- 1979: Launched branded OTC (Over the Counter) products.
- 1979: First Manufacturing Facility set up in India- (Chikalthana).
- 1986: Started production at second manufacturing facility in India-(Paithan).
- 1989: Launched block buster OTC product '30+' in India.
- 1992: Foray in international market.
- 1995: Established subsidiary in Mauritius with manufacturing facility.
- 2000: Got listed on National Stock Exchange (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
- 2005: Strategic shift from OTC to Innovative Specialised Prescription Products in Ophthal, Dermatology & Cardiology.
- 2007: Set-up dedicated fully equipped R&D facility in Mumbai.
- 2009: Bought a manufacturing facility at Chitegaon to fuel the company's growth.
- 2009: API facility set up in Waluj for captive consumption.
- 2009: First Generic Company in the world to get WHO Geneva Pre-qualification for Anti-Malarial Drug.
- 2010: Entered Philippines market with unique product portfolio through Ajanta Pharma Philippines Inc.
- 2011: Emerged as a strong speciality player in domestic market in Ophthalmology, Dermatology and Cardiology with many brands holding leadership positions.
- 2012: Ranked among the Top 10 Pharma companies in Franco Africa.
- 2013: Began Sales in the USA.
- 2014: Second Dedicated R&D centre set up in Kandivli for India and Emerging Markets.
- 2014: Inaugurated a New Facility in Dahej, Bharuch, Gujarat, India.
- 2015: Launch of Montelukast lR Tablets and Chewable Tablets.
- 2015: Launch of Montelukast Sodium Oral Granules.
- 2016: USFDA Approval for Almotriptan Malate Tablets.
- 2017: Inaugurated & commissioned first phase at a New Facility in Guwahati, Assam, India.
- 2017: Dahej facility receives successful US FDA approval.
- 2017: Launch of Eletriptan Hydrobromide tablets in US market.
- 2017: USFDA approval for Entacapone tablets.
- 2017: Approval and launch of Clonidine Hydrochloride extended release tablets.
- 2018: Commissioned Ajanta's 1st ever Derma facility in Guwahati.
- 2019: New manufacturing facility for oral solid inaugurated at Pithampur.
|Parent Organization||Ajanta Pharma Ltd.||Managing Director||Yogesh M Agrawal|